Useful Load Long EZ

Arbiter

Marc,

Thanks for the reply and the input! :). I wonder, does anyone think it would be overly difficult to incorporate the COZY IV wing and canard layups into the LEZ, has anyone done it before? Marc, do you have any suggestions on a good book or resource to learn about aircraft sandwich composite structures like the LEZ and their analysis? Thanks!

-Chris

Chris Zupp

~Aircraft Designer~

Preliminary Design Sequence I: Project Endeavour

Aeronautical/Mechanical Engineer

Private Pilot

Chris

I had an E Racer and the wing/canard was the same as the LE except the trailing edge was straight and there is 25% more wing spar caps and canard spar caps. The vne on the E racer was 300 mph, I had mine to 291 mph T at 10,000. My AC was a very heavy version of the E Racer. The stock MGW was 2000 lbs with a 0320 or small alumunum buick v8. I installed a 360 hp supercharged IO540 with extra fuel and tested it to 2240 lbs,take off weight only. That weight was with 370 lbs, pilot/pass, 69 gal of fuel and about 20 lbs of baggage. That weight also included 25 lbs of nose ballast weight to offset the heavy engine. I know these numbers are most likely of no value for what you are looking for but I thought you might be interested.

Jack

E Racer Extreme

I wonder, does anyone think it would be overly difficult to incorporate the COZY IV wing and canard layups into the LEZ, has anyone done it before?

It would not be overly difficult - the construction methodology is identical. The gear leg is problematic, however, and the nose gear strut and casting is also an issue. You also have the main spar to consider, but that should be no more difficult than the wing/canard.

Marc, do you have any suggestions on a good book or resource to learn about aircraft sandwich composite structures like the LEZ and their analysis?

Search the COZY mailing list archives - there have been numerous discussions of reference material. Probably some here too.

Thanks for the information Marc, I will check into it shortly. I also saw a book on Aircraft Spruce on composite structural analysis. I'd like to try some hand calcs if possible to determine if the loads I am thinking of using are reasonable using stock LEZ lay-up and structure. This won't be for a while since I'm working through a compressor design course right now and I'm going back to school in January (Maybe I'll have time then?!?) to finish my masters in ME, but when I am working on it I'd really like it if someone would be willing to check my work and assumptions. I have some guys here at my company that may be able to help too, I am interested to see what a simplified analysis would reveal, just got to make sure I capture all the relevant assumptions and know the limits of the calcs. We'll see, it's an interesting engineering problem either way :). Thanks for the input, still would love to have some more data about people's gross/empty weights that they fly :) with for LEZ. Check back l8tr!

-Chris

Chris Zupp

~Aircraft Designer~

Preliminary Design Sequence I: Project Endeavour

Aeronautical/Mechanical Engineer

Private Pilot