Fein knockoff at Harbor Freight $49.99

Cozy1200

• 2 months later...

G'day

Yesterday the UPS truck left this at my door from Harbour Freight...

...for $49.95 if it is half as good as the real deal it is a steal.

Jeff

Jeff - How has the HF tool worked out for you? Have you tried fitting any other brands of blades/attachments to it? They've dropped the price to $39.99. While the price is certainly attractive, it also increases my skepticism.

"Men become wise just as they become rich, more by what they save than by what they receive." - Wilbur Wright

• 2 months later...

I'm looking at ordering a Fein tool, what "kit" do you recommend... is the "start" kit plenty for our use or is one of the more expensive kit better in the long run?

Greetings SAF,

Go minimalistic here.

The most that I have used, for the aircraft is the circular blade (offset,imho is not really necessary). The circular blade will last practically forever (if you don't step on it (brittle)) and somewhat expensive (get replacements over the web). The other must is the sander attachment. I believe that they are available in velcro-type and adhesive.

The velcro is adequate, although it is plastic and sanding creates a lot of heat and melts the device a little so that they need to be replaced frequently (depending on the amount that you use them) they are about 7$ per. I think that the adhesive is made out of aluminum and does not suffer the same fate. However you have do deal with the less convenient adhesive factor.

Whichever you choose, get a box of the 40grit pads. (again internet for best prices) Great for scuffing glass for further bonding.

If you Plan to use the device for home, the other attachments are great.

If you get the variable speed, you will find that you will only use the fast speed.

Don't get the battery powered one.

Have a Fein time

I Canardly contain myself!

Rich :D

I rarely remove the round cutting disc from my Fein tool. I do my power sanding with a B&D Mouse with 50 grit paper - works great and the paper is easier to find.:cool2:

Shaping and grinding is done with a Dremel using the cutters that look like copper foil - they really work well.

Those 3 hand-power tools are pretty much all I use for cutting, shaping and sanding glass. All three are plugged into the same extension cord and are kept right where I'm working - makes pretty efficient use of my scarce work time.

Phil Kriley

Cozy #1460

Chapter 13 - nose

Right wing done - working on right winglet.