Adding Strake fool, er fuel

Edge 513

How does this differ from the one's fitted to Dick Rutan's plane on their trip around the world? First picture taken a Margate (FAMG) South Africa during our EAA annual convention, second one from the net somewhere.

This one was plumbed in to follow the basic gravity feed system and the profile was the same as the wing, enlarged as required, it also had a fuel view panel on the canopy side, just like the fuel viewpanel in the cockpit, due to it's position duplicating the original fuel tanks it also did not affect the C of G ... said Mr Rutan. :)

post-4196-141090164213_thumb.jpg

post-4196-141090164215_thumb.jpg

I live in my own little world! but its OK, they know me here!

Chris Van Hoof, Johannesburg, South Africa operate from FASY (Baragwanath)

Cozy Mk IV, ZU-CZZ, IO-360 (200hp) 70x80 prop

Thanks for posting these pics ZUCZZ. This was what I was talking about except Dick's is an exaggerated scale. This plane has been referred to by us in talking about the concept.

I obviously scaled down the top and bottom surfaces of the nacelles to meet the surface of the top and bottom of the wing skins in a flush manner, not as shown. My thought was to allow simple gravity movement of the fuel.

If I could lower the assemblies, as Marc is describing, so the top of the nacelle met at least mid span through the leading strake edge, visually, I would dig it. [Thats what I had drawn a long time ago, and discarded.] That would mean that about 6 inches would be below the stake and faired upwards into the strake underside, thus needing a feeder line. Course one could argue that there is a fuel pump in the per plans system anyway. With regards to draggage, this is in an somewhat dirty air area coming off the canard, but would be draggy still. How much? Don't know. All things to be considered. I would think keeping it in line with the top and bottom skins would be a better package frontally and staying in the canard wake. In higher angle of attack positions, that wake changes, such as a steep pull up.

One observation from the pictures is that structurally, one can do just about anything with fiberglass, and the incredible cantilever of Dicks nacelles is, well..incredible.:ROTFLMAO:

My last observation, and I don't think it is due to fore-shortening of the lens, is that he has a longer canard than stock on his bird, for CG consideration.

Self confessed Wingnut.

Now think about it...wouldn't you rather LIVE your life, rather than watch someone else's, on Reality T.V.?

Get up off that couch!!! =)

Progress; Fuselage on all three, with outside and inside nearly complete. 8 inch extended nose. FHC done. Canard finished. ERacer wings done with blended winglets. IO540 starting rebuild. Mounting Spar. Starting strake ribs.

About the length of the canards, I can't remember if it is just past the line that the main spar would have been ... if it were a Cozy, i would have said that the canard is the version before the shortening, but bar recognising a LongEze (barely) i cannot comment :-)

(I also did not have any knowledge at that time, an ignoramus of note, rather ... now I think I know :) )

Accroding to Mr Rutan ,the "wing section" helps carry it's weight.

Yes the sketches on this topic are prettier, but if I was to add such, i'd follow Rutan ... but that's me :)

I cant imagine what will happen when those mamilar exstensions on Dicks plan get old. The are long enough to drag on the ground. That is really going to hurt the take off role:D Build on STeve

Steve Harmon

Lovin Life in Idaho

Cozy IV Plans #1466 N232CZ

http://websites.expercraft.com/bigsteve/

Working on Chapter 19,21

I cant imagine what will happen when those mamilar exstensions on Dicks plan get old. The are long enough to drag on the ground. That is really going to hurt the take off role:D Build on STeve

As Steve Martin said as Captain Clouseau..."Good one"..=] Actually, you might remember that Dick Rutan is an accomplished plastic surgeon [such a pun], and can easily help the girl out when those babies reach her navel. Seems like after the world flight, somewhere down the timeline,I remember seeing 'ol blue completely devoid of them. Am I right?

Self confessed Wingnut.

Now think about it...wouldn't you rather LIVE your life, rather than watch someone else's, on Reality T.V.?

Progress; Fuselage on all three, with outside and inside nearly complete. 8 inch extended nose. FHC done. Canard finished. ERacer wings done with blended winglets. IO540 starting rebuild. Mounting Spar. Starting strake ribs.

Edge:

I think that is your answer make them removable so that when you need the extra fuel put them on. When you dont you can fly around on the short hops looking like a regular cozy IV. Just a thought. Build on STeve

Steve Harmon

Lovin Life in Idaho

Cozy IV Plans #1466 N232CZ

http://websites.expercraft.com/bigsteve/

Working on Chapter 19,21

The Rutan additional fuel tanks were a bolt on addition, he described the fitment, but i did not understand well at the time, just remember thinking that it sounded very logical.

For looks the Mellvil ones were prettier and generally better finished. :)

The Rutan additional fuel tanks were a bolt on addition, he described the fitment, but i did not understand well at the time, just remember thinking that it sounded very logical.

For looks the Mellvil ones were prettier and generally better finished. :)

SteveH, ZUC...Bolt on sounds good. Like the fellow that Marc mentioned at Scaled. I hope to get info on this. Maybe if I get the nod, I will ask if I can go to Scaled and fondle them. I wonder what that guys fuel capactity is? I love the simplicity of Gary Hunters Big Pod mounts, maybe the fuel pods are similar mounts, but with a flex tie-in at the trailing end of the mount that could be recessed and covered by the trailing fairing as you finaled out the mounting screws?

Certainly flying in general, is not a Long distance trip, so a detachable pair of units would be great. I can no longer find a pic of Mikes plane...anybody got a pic of his set-up would be great. As for attractivness, I dont think one could get much more utilitarian than Dick's. The fuel window feature is fantastic. I wonder if cell cast acrylic is compatable with 100LL and wouldnt fog?

All points to consider. Thanks guys

Self confessed Wingnut.

The fuel window feature is fantastic. I wonder if cell cast acrylic is compatable with 100LL and wouldnt fog?

All points to consider. Thanks guys

Don't believe it is. the white backing on the after market one is acrylic and it does hold up for awhile but starts to crack. does not hold up to alcohol in fuel. the clear front of the gauges is clear PVC. PVC can stand up to fuel and oil even alcohol.

Evolultion Eze RG -a two place side by side-200 Knots on 200 HP. A&P / pilot for over 30 years

How does that hold up to UV?

Can clear PVC be had in 1/8" thickness?

I always think of PVC as landscaping irrigation sched 40 pipe....funny it can be had in clear. I would guess that it can be oven formed to custom shape like cell cast.

Thanks for the post.

Self confessed Wingnut.

• 6 months later...

Say there Marc, did that fellow at Scaled get any farther with his detachable fuel pods? I would sure like to know and maybe get a hold of him?

Thanks. =)

Self confessed Wingnut.