Spray gun recomendations

Limo EZ

Does anyone have any recommendations on spray guns for shooting PPG Concepts Acrylic Urethane? I have a Binks 18 and the literature calls for a 1.3 - 1.6 mm tip. I have seen paint sprayed with HVLP and most of them had orange peel. Thanks for any help.

Joe Berki

Limo EZ

Hey Joe

Use what you are used to. Conventional guns work just fine, just more overspray but not a problem. HVLP guns are also very good if you want to spend the dollars for a good one, the cheep ones are crap. I sprayed with all kinds of guns and still like the devillbis with a 30 head. binks 7 is also a very good gun for your project. As far as final sanding, 320 wet or dry is great, use a epoxy white sealer and paint . I prefer PPG products. If you have any questions, call me and I will give you some product numbers. (630) 688-1295

Jack

E Racer Extreme

Hey Joe

Use what you are used to. Conventional guns work just fine, just more overspray but not a problem. HVLP guns are also very good if you want to spend the dollars for a good one, the cheap ones are crap. I sprayed with all kinds of guns and still like the devillbis with a 30 head. binks 7 is also a very good gun for your project. As far as final sanding, 320 wet or dry is great, use a epoxy white sealer and paint . I prefer PPG products. If you have any questions, call me and I will give you some product numbers. (630) 688-1295

Jack

E Racer Extreme

• 1 month later...

I loaded a small quantity of PPG Concepts into the Binks 18 and shot some small parts. This paint is easy to use and looks great. If the surface is preped to 400 grit possibly 320 it should cover. I will try to paint the bottom tomorrow.

Joe Berki

Limo EZ

Use what you are used to. Conventional guns work just fine, just more overspray but not a problem. HVLP guns are also very good if you want to spend the dollars for a good one, the cheep ones are crap.

Ditto. For us amateurs, the skill of the painter has more effect than the gun. That said, the guns from Lowe's are a pretty good tradeoff in price/performance. I started using one of their smaller ones. I'd love to have a Sata but I probably couldn't see the difference over a cheaper gun. Preparation is the key. Get it right before you apply the primer.

-Kent

-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-750 hrs, Long-EZ-85 hrs and sold

I painted a van recently with an Accuspray gun I found on ebay and a homemade turbine from plans published a few years ago in Fine Woodworking. It came out just as nice as the high pressure guns I've used. See p. 122 here

http://tinyurl.com/4c3s55

I've used the turbine a lot with an older style Sicmo hvlp gun with it and never got good atomization but the Accuspray is way better. I think the turbine is just a good as the commercial versions

http://www.dodgepowerwagon.com/glovebox/hvlp.html

The trouble with the true HVLP turbine guns is that they're expensive. With regular compressed air guns you can have several--big, small, primer--and toss them when they get too grungy.

-Kent

-Kent

What I've used in the past for spraying lacquer type finishes on furniture is the airless system that puts out about 2500 PSI. The advantages are you can spray upside down and the hopper holds a lot more product which keeps your color consistant.

I guess you would call it a HVHP system vs. a HVLP system.

They also have reversible tips so you can flip the tip around backwards and blow out any clogging sediment and continue.

T Mann - Loooong-EZ/20B Infinity R/G Chpts 18

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

We add rocket's to everything!

4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 14, 19, 20 Done

Emailed PPG and received some interesting feedback.

PPG does not recommend airless for spaying DCC, results will be solvent pop and die back.

They went on to say they did not recommend DCC for aircraft. It also see that (like most everything else associated with aircraft) they don't recommend trying this at home:

PPG REFINISH MATERIALS ARE DESIGNED FOR APPLICATION BY PROFESSIONALLY, TRAINED PERSONNEL USING PROPER EQUIPMENT UNDER CONTROLLED CONDITIONS, AND IS NOT INTENDED FOR SALE TO THE GENERAL PUBLIC.

Bottom line, I think this is one I'll hire out. I've seen a couple of "50 foot" homebuilts this summer and follow that up with Brad Carter's Long-EZ the weekend of Rough River. He flew it up to the quickie Fly-in in Beatrice, NE and took some time to go over some of the things he thought worked for him and a couple others he would bypass. Great looking plane at 1000 plus hours.

T Mann - Loooong-EZ/20B Infinity R/G Chpts 18

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

We add rocket's to everything!

4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 14, 19, 20 Done

Bottom line, I think this is one I'll hire out.

Never heard of anyone using airless sprayers for cars or airplanes. Aren't those things mostly for houses?

I've painted cars and my airplane outdoors with good results. Wait for a calm morning, get up early, spray before the wind comes up, have some tweezers to pick out the occasional bug, expect to do a little polishing later. With white finishes, it isn't hard to make something look pretty good.

I'd suggest try painting a wing or canard. If you are happy, paint the whole thing. A couple of outdoor jobs:

post-89-141090164381_thumb.jpg

post-89-141090164387_thumb.jpg

-Kent