Decision troubles

mond-EZ

Hi everyone

My name is Luis, my goal is to build a Varieze, I feel that is right for my right now and I like it better than others designs. So I’m looking for plans. But … in this process I’ve been in touch with Waiter (Iflyez.com) and Tait (Terf.com), and they told me nothing but discouraging things about the Varieze, trying to make me change my mind to the LongEZ, basing their advices on the support, parts availability, performance, superior safety and superior design of the LongEZ.

I find it hard to believe that Varieze is a bad choice, there are a lot of them flying and all the owners seem to be happy.

What can anyone tell me about this?

Thanks a lot

Luis

Another point in favor of the Varieze is the lack of a fuel pump being required with a Continental engine. Burt Rutan has always been interested in keeping thiings as light and simple as possible. The LongEz requires one if not two fuel pumps....one electric and one engine driven.

The LongEz that was stuck at Arlington back in the mid 1990's had electrical problems and needed a new Facet fuel pump, which we did find at the local NAPA auto parts store. Don't know if the Long had a mechanical pump or not.....but should have.

The Varieze has to be flown with positve G's. I have had the engine bark at me when doing a hard noseover, but not when doing a positive G roll. If you want to do any more aero work, I would suggest a LongEz or a Varieze with a similar fuel system and not just gravity feed.

However, the EZ's have been designed as very good cross country airplanes and not aerobatic.....even though they have been flown doing the same in many airshows.

WTJohnson

Hi guys

In the starting process of my Varieze restoration project, I’m reading the manufacturing manual and some pages are broken and missing (only 3 I hope)

Can anyone help me with this? I need pages 3-2, 3-3 and 3-4.

If any of you can email me scans of them it would be great, it could be 2 scans per page because I know they may not fit in a regular scanner.

Thank you very much

Luis

luismondolo@hotmail.com

PS:

Thank you WTJohnson for your information, I’ll keep it in mind.

That looks like a great deal for the money. As long as the wing attach fittings are corrosion free. I would look under the fiberglass around the wing attach fittings. There's only the one (maybe two) layer of fiberglass there between the top and bottom wing attach points. That cover is not solid structure and it's easily repaired and worth the peace of mind to dig that out and check the plates.

You would never be able to buy the materiels to build that airplane for that price, let alone the amount of labor to build that far. You've saved hundreds if not thousands of hours.

Have fun and good luck.

P.s. if you need a canopy or Vari-ez gear leg, i've got one of each. Eventually I'll have to put these up for auction or sell 'em.

Hi guys

In the starting process of my Varieze restoration project, I’m reading the manufacturing manual and some pages are broken and missing (only 3 I hope)

Can anyone help me with this? I need pages 3-2, 3-3 and 3-4.

If any of you can email me scans of them it would be great, it could be 2 scans per page because I know they may not fit in a regular scanner.

Thank you very much

Luis

luismondolo@hotmail.com

PS:

Thank you WTJohnson for your information, I’ll keep it in mind.

------------------------------

Just emailed him to tell him what the missing Varieze pages were about and

offered to send him copies.

WTJohnson