Sad News I found this am

bshull

I do not know who this was but it made the AP

http://news.yahoo.com/story//ap/20080822/ap_on_re_us/las_vegas_plane_crash

Anyone with more info?

Still don't know who it is, very sad tho. but there a lot of experts on what an experimental is

http://www.lasvegasnow.com/Global/story.asp?S=8885888&nav=menu102_2

Evolultion Eze RG -a two place side by side-200 Knots on 200 HP. A&P / pilot for over 30 years

Yes very sad news.

I was very disturbed that the Airport director seemed to use the incident to address concerns that were somewhat political in nature. He seemed to be implying that pilots are reckless by nature and started to talk about runway incursions and other concerns that were not related to this disaster.

I wonder what the aircraft was doing over populated areas with only 5 hours of flight time. However I think everyone should wait an hear what the NTSB has to say bout this event before rushing to judgment.

Yes very sad news.

I was very disturbed that the Airport director seemed to use the incident to address concerns that were somewhat political in nature. He seemed to be implying that pilots are reckless by nature and started to talk about runway incursions and other concerns that were not related to this disaster.

I wonder what the aircraft was doing over populated areas with only 5 hours of flight time. However I think everyone should wait an hear what the NTSB has to say bout this event before rushing to judgment.

You are allowed to be over a populated area during takeoff and landing. if only 5 hours then he should have been taking off to go to his assigned test area. It is the FAA that assigns the test area and designates which airports can be used to complete the phase one testing.

Evolultion Eze RG -a two place side by side-200 Knots on 200 HP. A&P / pilot for over 30 years

Yes, that is the fellow I was referring to in my earlier post.

I would like to know why was the aircraft was flown from three airports in only 5 hours of flight. it may be that they had switched the phase one airport of operation during the 5 hours but I doubt it. I have seen the FAA give phase one restrictions to some Lancair owners that did not include there route of flight to the test area and allowed them to land at other airports. this type of test operation can only end up bad.

I do not want to see the FAA telling us which airport we can use our experimental aircraft. one way to prevent this is to use some common sense and as the pilot of a low time aircraft not operate in high risk areas as N Las Vegas. Why would you want to take off and fly over houses at 300 feet in an experimental with only 5 hours? seems the pilot did not act responsibly in this case and never gave any consideration to the what if of operating a new plane.

I am questioning whether it truly had 5 hours of logged time. It was certified back in 2002 according to the FAA. I suppose it is possible but it seems more likely that Mr Walker might have been working with bad information when he said it had only 5 hours. If it did have many more than 5 by the time it is revealed it will be old news.

I am questioning whether it truly had 5 hours of logged time. It was certified back in 2002 according to the FAA. I suppose it is possible but it seems more likely that Mr Walker might have been working with bad information when he said it had only 5 hours. If it did have many more than 5 by the time it is revealed it will be old news.

the certificate that was issued in 2002 was a registration certificate this is not an airworthiness certificate, and does not mean that the aircraft was signed off for flight at that time. you are required to register it in advance of applying for the airworthiness certificate.

I would like to know why was the aircraft was flown from three airports in only 5 hours of flight. it may be that they had switched the phase one airport of operation during the 5 hours but I doubt it. I have seen the FAA give phase one restrictions to some Lancair owners that did not include there route of flight to the test area and allowed them to land at other airports. this type of test operation can only end up bad.

I do not want to see the FAA telling us which airport we can use our experimental aircraft. one way to prevent this is to use some common sense and as the pilot of a low time aircraft not operate in high risk areas as N Las Vegas. Why would you want to take off and fly over houses at 300 feet in an experimental with only 5 hours? seems the pilot did not act responsibly in this case and never gave any consideration to the what if of operating a new plane.

The Cincinnati FSDO regularly gives this kind of op limit without ill effect, mine is in fact. We have lots of clear flat land here, and my limits were 75 nm, stay in Ohio, out of Cincinnati, Dayton, and Columbus' airspace, but I could go to any airport not limited by the preceding.

B

---

Brett Ferrell

Velocity XL/FG

Cincinnati, OH

http://www.velocityxl.com

The prelim ntsb report has been released. Questions as to why out of North Las Vegas were addressed. Appears flight was a first flight with the supercharger. Sounds like the pilot was well qualified to be in the left seat.

Do you have a link to the report?

If the aircraft was not gaining altitude that would seem to indicate an engine failure correct? Are there other possible issues that would allow the aircraft to not gain altitude? Maybe a really fwd loaded CG out of normal limits? Any thoughts on how a supercharger could cause a loss of power that would not allow the pilot to gain altitude? If he pulled back on the stick hard, could he have gotten into a nose high attitude and stalled? I was under the impression you can't do that unless you have an aft loaded CG behind limits in a Canard due to the canard stalling first etc... Just looking to entertain thoughts/speculation about what could cause no gain in altitude at this critical phase of flight, any insights?

I am sorry that we lost another fellow pilot, a passenger, and a person on the ground in an accident, I hope we can learn why... :(

-Chris Z.

Chris Zupp

~Aircraft Designer~

Preliminary Design Sequence I: Project Endeavour

Aeronautical/Mechanical Engineer

Private Pilot

If the aircraft was not gaining altitude that would seem to indicate an engine failure correct? Are there other possible issues that would allow the aircraft to not gain altitude? Maybe a really fwd loaded CG out of normal limits? Any thoughts on how a supercharger could cause a loss of power that would not allow the pilot to gain altitude? If he pulled back on the stick hard, could he have gotten into a nose high attitude and stalled? I was under the impression you can't do that unless you have an aft loaded CG behind limits in a Canard due to the canard stalling first etc... Just looking to entertain thoughts/speculation about what could cause no gain in altitude at this critical phase of flight, any insights?

I am sorry that we lost another fellow pilot, a passenger, and a person on the ground in an accident, I hope we can learn why... :(

-Chris Z.

air planes don't fly for long with no power. adding a supercharger to that engine would be an after market set up, nothing Lycoming ever did. playing with an experimental engine and test flying over houses is not a good idea. I doubt the aircraft was out of CG. but it is possible as the just added a supercharger to the rear. he was ex military pilot so I would think he was of average weight. canard aircraft when slowed do not stall, the canard stalls first and the aircraft sink rate goes up. does seem strange that an experienced pilot would not aim for a street instead of a house.

If so that would make two supercharger forced landings. Former Cozy builder/driver Dave Domeier went to the dark side and built an RV-something with one of those eggfeller sube firewall fwd packages, he later added a supercharger upgrade (prototype?) and when the belt came off the engine stopped. The landing was fine, the rollout ended in a flip over, Dave was fine, RV not so fine.

Turbos are not so efficient and add a lot of heat under the cowling but "usually" when they fail it means you have no boost.

If this thread digresses into a turbo -vs-supercharger discussion, please start a new thread elsewhere?

...Chrissi

CG Products

www.CozyGirrrl.com

Cozy Mk-IV RG 13B Turbo

Just saw an updated report on the accident at N las Vegas, it shows a photo of my E Racer taken at a photo shoot with the EAA attached. What the heck is going on with those people.

Jack

E Racer Extreme

Again. Do you have a link???