N200LZ: Chapter 14

TMann

My thinking on this difference is that when the Long-EZ plans were published, there was no mention of removing the cross threads in the glass tape. Not removing the cross threads keeps the bundles from flattening out as much as if they are removed. Maybe this would not account for the mismatch but I know from test layups before I did the caps that the layups with the cross threads intact were thicker.

A friend (two doors down from me) stopped by Saturday as I was doing the top spar cap on the canard. As he walked in he laughed and said "Don't forget to pull out those cross threads!"

I said I was and he looked shocked. Seems they didn't require that on his composite project. If you were building from the original plans you would not be doing that but seeing as I built the Roncz canard first (where they call this out) it's now obvious. I don't see how you could possibly ensure that the fibers were running straight without the ability to comb them out. I have to figure that my CS Spar will be at least 50% stronger as a result. Denser fiber count and less epoxy.

T Mann - Loooong-EZ/20B Infinity R/G Chpts 18

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

We add rocket's to everything!

4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 14, 19, 20 Done

Boy, I wish that were all it took to get 50% higher strength.

:) ....... well maybe only 45%.

My tapes showed up today so I have everythig ready to go for the bottom spar cap. I'm not sure I can wrap up 14 by the end of the weekend but it's going to be real close if I don't. I'm pretty much after it every day now and I'm marking stuff off my list.

I have to admit, it's tough keeping up with folks like Jack & JTest.

....working ..... working .....

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

I just finished my bottom spar cap tonight after work. That gives me a good jump on the weekend ......... and there's still time for beer! :banana:

It is important to allow enought time for large layups. Dont forget to allow a little extra for the after layup beer!

It is important to allow enought time for large layups. Dont forget to allow a little extra for the after layup beer!

Excellect point, PTM. I'll take that to heart. :cool:

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

Well ...... a good weekend's worth of work. I didn't get as far as I wanted. I'm ready for the 4 plies (back to front) at this point. I spent most of Saturday sanding the steps in the spar cap and rounding stuff off.

Today I trimmed out the foam the goes on top of the Infinity mods to the spar to get everything back to the original dimensions. Once that was done I filled and hardshelled the foam so it's down to a couple of layups and it's toast.

Things seemed to take longer than I planned but I am happy with the results.

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

Well ...... a good weekend's worth of work. I didn't get as far as I wanted. I'm ready for the 4 plies (back to front) at this point. I spent most of Saturday sanding the steps in the spar cap and rounding stuff off.

Today I trimmed out the foam the goes on top of the Infinity mods to the spar to get everything back to the original dimensions. Once that was done I filled and hardshelled the foam so it's down to a couple of layups and it's toast.

Things seemed to take longer than I planned but I am happy with the results.

Now you just need those gears. Coming up on three years for me....:irked:

Mike LaFLeur - Cozy MkIV #1155
N68ML
76225.gif

I finally got around to weighing my CS Spar.

42 ibs and that includes a 6 inch extension in the middle to accomodate my curved fuselage and the additional plies involved in preparing for the Infinity retracts.

The weight is based on the accuracy of my bathroom scale so I figure it's close but not dead on.

I have no Idea what is a normal or 'target' weight.

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

TMann,

That weight seems good considering the extra dimensions. I just walked in the house from finishing the last big layup on my Long-EZ Centersection Spar. This would be the 2 ply UNI layup over the forward face. Feels good to almost be done with the spar.

Now, need to decide whether to start the canard or assemble the fuse sides and bulkheads. Hmmm....

:banana: