N200LZ Chapter 13: Nose - Heated Pitot

TMann

...did I miss something here?.

sure did =)

........well if you run into mine you will remember to stay clear of it the next time or you will be going back to the emergency room again.

in that case maybe you should put in a bigger battery and leave it turned on, I'm sure a trip to the burn ward will scar them enough to ensure they never forget.

But really, if you forget the darn thing you will probably know from your odd airspeed indication or hopefully you will notice before it vibrates out and then you have a draft coming in the hole, so you are telling me that if you have gone to all this trouble to make a fussy retractable pitot that two wires, a MSW, and an LED are that much trouble? Well if you are so sure of yourself I guess there is no need for an indicator for your gear either, right? I mean you never ever forget it and always know what position its in, right?

Then there's those who are petrified one of their warning lights may not work and add the warning light test circuit :ROTFLMAO:

Where does it end?

...Chrissi

CG Products

www.CozyGirrrl.com

Cozy Mk-IV RG 13B Turbo

Yes ..... you did.:)

At roughtly 32-33 inches off the ground, it's a kid hazard.

Thats true, but I think you will find that Kids are more of a hazard to the the plane then the plane is to them. airplanes are not kid proof, heck they can't even make them adult proof. if we are concerned about things at 32 " off the ground then in addition to the pitot tube you will need to make the canard tips, the vortilons, the rudders, the ailerons, the elevators, the prop tips, the spinner all have a quick disconnect for easy removal. better yet just rope off the plane and keep all kids, big and little away from it, because they will break something. oh Ya there is a need for some type of cowling detection device. one that can detect things such as toys and empty coke cans that these kids will leave for you to find during pre flight

Evolultion Eze RG -a two place side by side-200 Knots on 200 HP. A&P / pilot for over 30 years

better yet just rope off the plane and keep all kids, big and little away from it,

Hmmm.... think I've seen a few at OSH who's done that.

I have an old Sport Aviation mag who has a couple guys with a Long who had their pitot tube removeable - unscrewed, and replaced with a screw-in tie down ring.

• 12 years later...

Thomas and everyone,

I purchased the parts from Phil and a heating element, and I plan to follow James' instructions. One biggie - from where can you source the phenolic material? Phenolic doesn't appear to be carried at the normal shops (I'm a pilot/maintainer not a builder per se), and this part certainly can't be skipped.

Guidance appreciated, thanks,

Robert

Edited by Robert M
clarity

Robert M.

Long EZ 329W  |  O-235 updraft

Pilot / engineer / amateur mechanic

The key in a Google search is "phenolic tube" as opposed to phenolic material (which returns sheets). My first time sourcing such material. James was nice enough to provide an email reply that lead me in the right direction.

Sure, you can get it from McMaster but I'd end up paying $40+ and receive 3 feet worth when I only need 3 inches.

I'm continuing my search, but if anyone has a scrap piece of 0.75" ID phenolic tube sitting around I'll pay shipping and beer!

Thanks

Edited by Robert M
typo

Robert M.

Long EZ 329W  |  O-235 updraft

Pilot / engineer / amateur mechanic