Open-EZ CAD Drawings

Vortal

Edge 513 said:

I want to go on record as saying AIRNICO has got a GREAT looking plug there. Super lines! Not sure of how it works vs the Longeze windtunnel shape...but it really looks sharp. I also liked the subtle seat drop shown in the plug which looks to lower the shoulders against the longeron waterline. Very cool thought process design wise. The small 'strake' fairings leading to then canard are a great echo to the main wing strakes. Be interesting to see what that does to the air on the inboard area of the canard and elevators. Just a very subtle bow to the canopy [seen from the side view], and I would be totally digging it.[everything's so curvy[must be that beautiful Italian design influence] the canopy might benefit from a subtle flow-curve as well-see below]

Lots of work....good looking stuff AIRNICO:banana: .

WOW!!! really an injection of self-esteem: thank you very much for your appreciation Edge.

usually people makes fun of me for it here around: they say I'm strange and crazy wasting my money in stupid stuff!

I also cannot wait the time to see what that shape does to the air, but I'm a little bit concerned about forward visibility(lowered shoulders): can anyone say to me anything about the standard Long-Ez visibility??

Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads. (Dr. Emmett Brown)

You have a good touch my friend- it is either in a person or not. Sometimes it can be learned or enhanced upon, but if the 'feel' is not inside you... the flow will not be evident in what you create. You have the 'eye'.

If you took this finished plug to Ferrari and showed someone who was truly talent based and not afraid of career endangerment, you would be appreciated for your worth...possibly offered employment.

The rest who have no vision- just cant see it right now. When the shape is finished..they WILL see it and it will be awesome.

THAT IS REALITY as I see it.

IMHO, Keep it up.

Also- to me the advantage of the lowered seating is that a long torso person would be ergo'ed very nicely into the cockpit. A regular sized person could have a higher standoff on the seat from the fuselage bottom. Sort of a seat on the seat. [who says the fuse bottom HAS to be what the seat cushion sits on]? Also- your drop away nose is similar to the Long Eze,if not a bit lower so no visual problem there. Only question is with such a raked front, possibly some downforce may be present that is not in the Long Eze.

Self confessed Wingnut.

Now think about it...wouldn't you rather LIVE your life, rather than watch someone else's, on Reality T.V.?

Get up off that couch!!! =)

Progress; Fuselage on all three, with outside and inside nearly complete. 8 inch extended nose. FHC done. Canard finished. ERacer wings done with blended winglets. IO540 starting rebuild. Mounting Spar. Starting strake ribs.

WOW!!! really an injection of self-esteem: thank you very much for your appreciation Edge.

usually people makes fun of me for it here around: they say I'm strange and crazy wasting my money in stupid stuff!

I also cannot wait the time to see what that shape does to the air, but I'm a little bit concerned about forward visibility(lowered shoulders): can anyone say to me anything about the standard Long-Ez visibility??

I love the look.

I have seen many long ez's with different noses and variations on the standard canopy and they all seem to fly the same. it does seem that the angle of the seat back in your plane will be a lot more laid back then the original long ez. in my plane the seat back was set at 45 degrees and during construction I changed it to a more up right angle of 37 degrees. at 45 degrees it was found that you would have to use the head rest to hold your up or your neck will get very tired. having your head supported by the head rest during the entire flight is not comfortable. it does limit your visibility a lot. to see over the side of the plane requires you to lift your head and after awhile your neck will get tired.

Evolultion Eze RG -a two place side by side-200 Knots on 200 HP. A&P / pilot for over 30 years

Vortal, raiki........the whole damn lot of you..........

This is B-R-I-L-L-I-A-N-T !!!!! I love the effort and work you guys are putting into the rewriting (creation??!) of an OpenEZ construction manual and templates. (Okay, so shoot me. I may have the "politically correct" terminoligy wrong, but I'm sure you know what I mean!!)

I for one need to tell you how much I appreciate your efforts and dedication.

I also feel I need to add my support for creating an OpenEZ, using the last available version of Burt's most amazing pocket-rocket-for-the-common-man as its template.

Then, and only then, when the OpenEZ is a "finalised" design, can the modifications begin. We all know how much Burt's design lends itself to modifications........and once those creative juices start to flow, there is no end to the possibillities, bless all of you clever buggers.

But let's get the OpenEZ finalised first, huh? Please??

Open EZ Contender

Geomick

It sounds like you are one of the guys I was talking about in an earlier post. A guy who wants to build a Long-EZ but cant get the plans so would like to build an Open-EZ as a clone. Welcome to the project.

Adrian Smart

Cozy IV #1453

Abso-bloody-lutely, raiki................

I read my first article about Rutan and his wonderful craft in the late seventies, and went for a ride in a Varieze when I was about 19. I started flying at 16 years, and didn't stop until I was about 30. I've lusted after a LongEz for ever. Now, at the ungodly age of 45, I come across you guys, and everything falls into place.:rolleyes:

Next step........insulate & put a concrete floor into the shed.:irked: Then, the games can begin.......................................:D:D:D

Open EZ Contender

Hello Geomick, we are neighbors. It may interest you to hear the distributor for MGS Epoxy is in Riddells Creek, but he won't sell direct! I have the plans for a Cozy IV, and a mockup of the cabin in my shed at the moment if you are interested, and some other materials you could see. Drop me a PM if you want to link up sometime.

Mark Spedding - Spodman
Darraweit Guim - Australia
Cozy IV #1331 -  Chapter 09
www.mykitlog.com/Spodman
www.sites.google.com/site/thespodplane/the-spodplane

Lynn Erickson said:

I love the look.

I have seen many long ez's with different noses and variations on the standard canopy and they all seem to fly the same. it does seem that the angle of the seat back in your plane will be a lot more laid back then the original long ez. in my plane the seat back was set at 45 degrees and during construction I changed it to a more up right angle of 37 degrees. at 45 degrees it was found that you would have to use the head rest to hold your up or your neck will get very tired. having your head supported by the head rest during the entire flight is not comfortable. it does limit your visibility a lot. to see over the side of the plane requires you to lift your head and after awhile your neck will get tired.

good to know.....thank you for this information, I was going to set both the seats at the same angle than original, but yours is a good suggest: any info about the pilot seat?(sorry may be I'm offtopic)

Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads. (Dr. Emmett Brown)

Ok, i Am pretty much done with the instrument panel

(i have a problem to attach it with this reply...)

Its called OEZ(as in OPEN-EZ)-043(used in chapter 4 step 3)-31(ATA chapter of instruments)00001(first drawing)-NB(revision not released, a bit like BETA)

Give me your input (correctness of the values, and general looks of the DWG)

You will notice i have put directions on the typical layup view, the manual doesn't specify any direction, these values ar arbitrary, usually 0,90 45,-45 gives a nice all direction/moment resistance so i decided to put these values, but it was mainly to put something, so it's reference only(i'll put a note on the drawing about that)...

Regarding the standards i use i will attach a .txt file with a description of it (easier than a long post)

Voila

Yup 1.11MB

Here is the message :

There seems to have been a problem with the Canard Zone database.

Please try again by clicking the Refresh button in your web browser.

An E-Mail has been dispatched to our Technical Staff, whom you can also contact if the problem persists.

We apologise for any inconvenience.

The guy must have 25 messages!

By the way, here are the standards i use for drawings

Standards :

Colors

Black : models, view titles, area fills

green : notes, dimensions orientation,dress-up(center lines, construction

lines)...

Line type

Large : Models (except boundary fillets)

Narrow: dress-up, area fills,

Title

All view to have a title, scale (if applicable) and an orrientation

(view looking FWD, AFT, LHS, RHS INBD, OUTBD...)

Main title in larger character than description of view (scale view

orientation...)

Acronyms :

FWD Forward

AFT (self explanatory)

LHS Left hand side

RHS Right hand side

INBD Inboard (looking from outside towards the CL of the Aircraft)

OUTBD Outboard (Looking towards outside of the aircraft)

CL Center Line

REF Reference

Dimensioning

Everything to be dimensioned so that you don't need to print to scale

to get a dimension imprecisely

primary positioning to be via FS/BL/WL

secondary positioning to be relative to object defined by primary

dimensioning. secondary positioning to be used when distance between

object is more revelant/critical (for minimal material between holes

for example)

FS BL and WL values to be circled for better visibility

A/C origin axis to be shown (if possible) and to be a circle with

alternate black and white quarters

Notes :

notes to be numbered, and if applied to a view or element of view,

number to be triangled

if applicable, when a dwg is revised (revision letter change), notes

to be added to describe what the changes are for better change

tracking

voila, if i thing of something else i'll let you know

Hello All! (not mutch action these days here...)

Jon I had a question for you concerning this

I also mentioned that I met John Griffiths, who produced the Berkut drawings. He has copyright to ~100 drawings towards making a Berk-EZ and has been selling these by word of mouth for $675/set and would like to make them available as part of this project. I have seen these drawings and they're beautiful. You can get a taste of the quality in the attached images. I'm trying to help him index and break some of these apart (for cost reasons) as many of the drawings are appropriate for ANY canard. My point is that there may also need to be a 'Buy' button for those not willing to work for free (it happens ). If you're interested in these drawings, please let John know that you were referred by the Canard Zone.

http://www.canardzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1511&page=8

Is it still actual? Is it still possible to bye/get them, i would like to "berkutise" my EZ with a couple of modification incorporated in this aircraft, and the drawings are very nice and comprehensive, i might go this way for my own drawings, or at least get inspirited by them (and eventually make the Open-EZ project benefit from those)

Let me know

Vortal said:

about Mak790 statement i don't agree : once you have started introducing modifications, you never stop and you end up with a mach1twinrock8seatdualmagneticfieldinductedaircraf t and your lost, i think in our structure we shoul have a "baseline"

Vortal said:

i would like to "berkutise" my EZ with a couple of modification incorporated in this aircraft

Vortal said:

and eventually make the Open-EZ project benefit from those

No comment

But seriously

U can buy John Griffiths drawings but the problem is that u need layup schedule for wings and canard (available in manual ONLY). Tony was going to post pictures and i believe some info but he left this forum and i think he wont back.

Mak

Mak, i never said that my aircraft would be a baseline Open-EZ and if you had quote properly what i said, you would had noticed that i was taking about the way the information was provided on the Berkut drawings Jon posted, not about the design itself, but thanks for making me realize that i wasn't that clear in my statement.

About John griffiths drawings, what i have read is that he sells the actual paper drawing, i'm more interested in the PDF, or electronic format of the drawing (and manual?) to my understanding, jon started to scan these drawings (correct me if i'm wrong...) and/or break them down to smaller drawings (i'm willing to take them as is, i'll explode them if needed....)

Let me know

Regards

Correct me if I am wrong, but it seems that the original idea was to publish the original LongEze plans or terf, or whatever, make them available.

Some guys have injected into this thread their own modifications to that.

Others have just built a completely different fuselage and are probably using the wings and canard from the proven LongEze.

Others are cadding who knows what and wanting to establish a "baseline" design.

I thought the baseline was the LongEze as the openeze, and anything else was untested and unproven and up for grabs as to if it would fly or not...let alone be called a "baseline".

Very interesting hypothicating and conjecturing...among lots of hopeful builders. Hope 'something' gets BUILT so that a baseline can be developed if that is what is wanted. Is this where the adage about to many cooks and soup comes in?

I just thought the openeze was already a finished working plane. =/

Self confessed Wingnut.

Now think about it...wouldn't you rather LIVE your life, rather than watch someone else's, on Reality T.V.?

Get up off that couch!!! =)

Progress; Fuselage on all three, with outside and inside nearly complete. 8 inch extended nose. FHC done. Canard finished. ERacer wings done with blended winglets. IO540 starting rebuild. Mounting Spar. Starting strake ribs.

Vortal said:

About John griffiths drawings, what i have read is that he sells the actual paper drawing, i'm more interested in the PDF, or electronic format of the drawing (and manual?) to my understanding, jon started to scan these drawings (correct me if i'm wrong...) and/or break them down to smaller drawings (i'm willing to take them as is, i'll explode them if needed....)

Yes u r right he sells paper drawings but its hard to believe that someone buy drawings for 800$ and just scan and post them here as pdf plus I believe these drawings are copyrighted. Same story with manuals and video tapes these materials are copyrighted as well.

and if you had quote properly what i said, you would had noticed that i was taking about the way the information was provided on the Berkut drawings Jon posted

I'm afraid we r spaming here this thread was originally for open-ez and we r talking about some mods Berk-ez etc (i know i started this but i had good intentions) so Jon could you delete all my post here or move them to other thread I cant do this by myself.

mak

Edge 513 said:

Correct me if I am wrong, but it seems that the original idea was to publish the original LongEze plans or terf, or whatever, make them available.

That wasn't my understanding, i meen, if it's just to use as is the RAF dwgs via TERF and the templates, then the job is done, buy the terf CDs (we won't give them for free here for understandable reasons), get the templates on the master post of the thread and just build the aircraft and call it an open EZ.

What i thought is that we re to do a modern drawing package (by redoing the drawings on a CAD system) incorporating all mods certified by RAF and all CPs in the package. so that people can build the aircraft via this open source project.

if i'm mistaken, let me know now because i'm not building a "baseline" EZ mine is going to be heavily modified (lets say new) canard, and i wont waste my time to do drawings nobody will use to build an aircraft.

Yes u r right he sells paper drawings but its hard to believe that someone buy drawings for 800$ and just scan and post them here as pdf plus I believe these drawings are copyrighted. Same story with manuals and video tapes these materials are copyrighted as well.

might buy them then, we'll see if it's worth it...

As I have stated in an aerlier post in this thread, and Jon has confirmed, the whole point of the Open-EZ project is to create a set of plans and templates to build a two seat tandem canard aircraft using the "latest available Long-EZ proven technology from RAF" as the baseline. Latest technology means it includes the Roncz canard, long rudders and the under belly speed brake.

Anything I have done and will be doing is exactly that. The plans are a rewrite of the Long-EZ, the drawings are CAD'd Long-EZ. If you are not interested in working on the project in that state, please stop posting to this thread.

Now, how you end up using these drawings is completely up to you. You can modify them to your hearts desire for your own use, but that is outside the scope of this project and thread.

Adrian Smart

Cozy IV #1453

Vortal said:

Jon I had a question for you concerning this

http://www.canardzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1511&page=8

Is it still actual? Is it still possible to bye/get them...

I haven't spoken with Mr. Griffiths since way back then, but I assume so.

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

Vortal said:

seem to have problems with the server when i try uploading stuff

anyone else?

What file type/extension and size are you trying to upload? Try uploading as a ZIP file if you can, otherwise let me know type and size.

mak790 said:

I'm afraid we r spaming here this thread was originally for open-ez and we r talking about some mods Berk-ez etc (i know i started this but i had good intentions) so Jon could you delete all my post here or move them to other thread I cant do this by myself.

Right... but not worth it IMO -- we'll survive.

Now back on topic... ;)

Regarding the baseline, it appears we are all in "violent agreement". :)

• Open-EZ rev 5 = TERF CD + Open-EZ Drawings
  • Open-EZ rev ? = Open-EZ Plans + Open-EZ Drawings

Both are to be baseline/clones of the Long-EZ with all the RAF-approved modifications, period. After that, people will do what they do.

Right?