Parachutes on a pusher plane.

Perhaps people who "just want to talk" should consider Dust's forum: www.canardcommunity.com

Not!

Sorry Steve,

I agree with your point, but still we shouldn’t do that to Dust. But I’m sure there’s a forum out there somewhere designed for low time 152 drivers who can’t stay off the radio. Or maybe they could just take it OUTSIDE!

Hat

Airspeed is Life -

:cool: - Having lots of it

is Better!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike, I recall the topic, but not actually 'talking' about it -- did we? Rough River circa...???

Regardless, you're the ONLY person asking for such a sub-forum right now. Everyone, speak up if you'd like such a thing, but I recommend against it considering the distractions in some recent threads having to do with politics. I prefer a high signal-to-noise ratio relating to building experimental canard aircraft when I check-in here.

We PM'd about it.

Quote:

I said - A private forum on the site that one had to ask for and get permission to enter.

You said - Definitely! I was looking at this too, for other reasons, but this would be a great use of the feature as well. I'll see what I can do. I have a couple positive improvements in mind...

Mike LaFLeur - Cozy MkIV #1155
N68ML
76225.gif

I agree with your point, but still we shouldn’t do that to Dust.

I think Dust would be thrilled to chat with Mike!

You said - Definitely!

Ah, I looked it up, yes, last October. I've since adjusted plans for the evolution of the Canard Zone and unfortunately I feel it no longer makes sense to create such a sub-forum attached to the Canard Zone. Sorry!

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

What might it cost to hire a professional test pilot for the first flight?

I used to do them out in that area when I lived in Calif. but its been a couple years. Check with David Orr, He may have a name in your area.

If you don't get any results, drop me and e-mail:

waiter -AT- iflyez -DOT- com

Waiter

F16 performance on a Piper Cub budget

LongEZ, 160hp, MT CS Prop, Downdraft cooling, Full retract

visit: www.iflyez.com

• 1 year later...

Has anybody thought about installing a BRS in or outside of a canard? 1 of my mods is to make mine a 1 seater cozy style canopy rear hinged W/turtleback(I seen on for sale on barstormers that was like this-Also I seen one guy ( DB dillion ) I think that was his name he has a webpage and I saw a BRS cannister w/him and I thank he has installed it in his longez I could be wrong.If you thank that this could be done I could use the instructions and photos to do this-or maybe( dillion) could help me out with this mod.Thanks (KOOL RAY)

Has anybody thought about installing a BRS in or outside of a canard?

Talk to the manufacturer then get back to us.

I think you'll find they are cool to the Idea.

Secondly, if they don't approve of the installation, they won't sell it to you.

If you buy one on the sly, they will not repack it (which is needed on a scheduled basis.)

T Mann - Loooong-EZ/20B Infinity R/G Chpts 18

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

We add rocket's to everything!

4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 14, 19, 20 Done

Talk to the manufacturer then get back to us.

I think you'll find they are cool to the Idea.

Secondly, if they don't approve of the installation, they won't sell it to you.

If you buy one on the sly, they will not repack it (which is needed on a scheduled basis.)

Thanks for the ammo. One of my brothers is convinced that I HAVE to have one (a BRS).

I have explained some of the possible difficulties to him (where will I put it, what about the prop in back etc). He just will not budge.

This longez has (had) a BRS in it. You can see it right above the center section spar.

Like I said previously ...... Talk to the manufacturer then get back to us.

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

BRS, the company that provides Cirrus, IIRC, spoke to Velocity builders at the Velocity Symposium north of Dallas in 06. They were no cool to the idea, however, they have not been able to ansswer the various issues, such as the prop. Velo was wanting to add it as an optioin, however, it was pricey. Like 20k if memory serves.

All the best,

Chris

Christopher Barber

Velocity SE/FG w/yoke. Zoom, zoom, zoom.

www.LoneStarVelocity.com

Live with Passion...

Like 20k if memory serves.

Sounds about right. That does not include the repacking fees. They use 5 tons of pressure to compress the chute. Currently the FAA requires that a licenced rigger packs any emergency parachute every 120 days. There is an effort to move that out to 180 days due to the change in materials.

Typically the discussions about outfitting your plane with a BRS stops at the price tag.

A good backpack emergrncy parachute fills the bill nicely. About the only time you would need it is if the plane breaks up in flight. In such a case you will find that they are very easy to use.

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

.... Currently the FAA requires that a licenced rigger packs any emergency parachute every 120 days. There is an effort to move that out to 180 days due to the change in materials....

Maybe for personal parachutes. The Cirrus maintenance manual calls for a rocket motor and parachute replacement or repack after 10 years. No one in their right mind would buy an airplane in which the parachute needed to be removed and repacked every 4 months. The reefing line cutters are on a 6 year replacement schedule.

Maybe for personal parachutes.....

...of which I was speaking. That is my area of experience. I don't know what the repack frequency is for a BRS. What I do know is that when you create something as specialized as a BRS, the number of riggers qualified to repack it diminish and the price is affected inversely.

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

This longez has (had) a BRS in it. You can see it right above the center section spar.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:NOAA-Long-EZ.jpg

O.K.... Couple of questions:

The BRS appears to be mounted where the GIB's head would be. Is that aircraft now a one place aircraft?

Had a BRS ever been tested, or used on a pusher aircraft like a Long-EZ or a Cozy?

Had a BRS ever been tested, or used on a pusher aircraft like a Long-EZ or a Cozy?

PTM, let me look around. I might have the eMail exchange I had with them a couple years ago where I asked them directly and they told me 'no way.'

Also, I'm sure someone could visit the booth at Oshkosh.

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

The BRS appears to be mounted where the GIB's head would be. Is that aircraft now a one place aircraft?

That aircraft no longer exists, as it crashed into the ocean when the pilot had a sudden cardiac arrest while flying its NOAA mission at low altitude. It was outfitted with a ton of instrumentation, so was a one seater anyway.

Not to my knowledge. Just pusher ultralights.

Not to my knowledge. Just pusher ultralights.

Ok then, did it work? Or, is there any reason to beleve that the BRS would not work with a Long-EZ?

My bro just won't drop the subject and I just cannot think of a practical place to put such a device. I also cannot get rid of the mental image of the parachute and its rigging getting chopped up or tangled in the prop.

I also cannot get rid of the mental image of the parachute and its rigging getting chopped up or tangled in the prop.

That's a real concern, PTM. I've made hundreds of jumps as a skydiver and have only had one malfunction that required my reserve chute. In that situation you must get rid of the bad one in order to have a chance with the reserve.

Make your brother buy it for your birthday if he is so concerned.

Ha ha haaaaa ..... I love it! :ROTFLMAO:

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

EZs glide quite well. Ask John Vermeylen. He was off the coast near Hilton Head when he broke a crank. His SKILL resulted in a glide to the nearest airport and only broke his checkbook.

I was orbiting the airport on my second flight (14 years ago) and basically let a rough engine quit. I was at 4000 AGL and explored the glide ratio of a Cozy. After landing and turning off midfield, I hit the starter and taxied back to my tiedown.

If you are ever unfortunate enough the deploy a BRS you are along for the ride. You have zero control over where you set down. It may be in the trees, a power line, someones house. Personally, I prefer a glider to a parachute descent.

You have zero control over where you set down.

I don't know if anyone is following Cessna's Skycatcher (I think that's right) project. It's basically a light 150.

They have been doing some spin recovery tests and have had to deploy the BRS twice. The second time resulted in a total loss. The aircraft landed pretty much unscathed until the wind caught the chute and proceeded to drag it another half mile or so.

Compare that to the post on the CA list where a pilot lost oil pressure at 5k AGL and picked an airport 16 nm away and landed on the runway, no problem.

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

That aircraft no longer exists, as it crashed into the ocean when the pilot had a sudden cardiac arrest while flying its NOAA mission at low altitude.

Did the BRS work here? It WAS suppoosed to WORK. How come the plane was a total loss? There is NO EXCUSE for that plane not being intact and floating like a cork on the water as it had a BRS fitted to it.

Oh, wait a minute, you mean having a plane parachute wont guarantee anything? In fact, pop that thing, get it fouled in your prop and try and glide your bird anywhere. I bet that BRS on that NOAA Eze was a goose egg Goverment insurance requirement that satisfied paperwork only and nobody felt would work if deployed.

Self confessed Wingnut.

Now think about it...wouldn't you rather LIVE your life, rather than watch someone else's, on Reality T.V.?

Get up off that couch!!! =)

Progress; Fuselage on all three, with outside and inside nearly complete. 8 inch extended nose. FHC done. Canard finished. ERacer wings done with blended winglets. IO540 starting rebuild. Mounting Spar. Starting strake ribs.