Weird canard pusher - RQ2+2 - EBAYwatch

Well it has a canard in some of the pikkies, but not all. Have no idea if it would fly, but an interesting concept.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=011&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=320234180423&rd=1

Mark Spedding - Spodman
Darraweit Guim - Australia
Cozy IV #1331 -  Chapter 09
www.mykitlog.com/Spodman
www.sites.google.com/site/thespodplane/the-spodplane

282mph seems a bit optimistic for something with the frontal area of a Mack truck with 180/200HP. I know the shape looks very aerodynamic and it's Cd may be pretty low, but you cant beat the physics of a full frontal (ooops, large frontal area, ooops dunno what is worse).

Adrian Smart

Cozy IV #1453

I the the front looks shorter than Cozy length because its wider and rounder. Velos' use CF for strength with their doors. This reminds me of a fat SQ2000. I'll take the engine and prop. The rest is just too far out there in "iffy" land. No thanks.

• 1 month later...

I wonder if that is not one of the ones made by Larry Fitzgerald. I know that he was playing around with similar designs several years ago.

I Canardly contain myself!

Rich :D

LF is in Bristol, WI. This plane is in Long Beach, CA.

YABUT YABUT

Is it possible that someone bought the fuselage, shipped it to CA and is selling it from there??

Is it also possible that the seller in CA is selling it for Larry in Bristol (a suburb of Kenosha WI???)

This Enquiring mind wants to know???

The picture looks much like one that Larry showed me when I started building my Aerocanard about 3 years ago-- but then breathing MGS (or is it MSG-had Chinese last night) fumes for all these years destroys synapses by the millions!

I Canardly contain myself!

Rich :D

• 2 weeks later...

I had bid on (and won) the first Ebay auction for the RQ2+2 plane. I traveled from MA to CA to complete the purchase but the sale did not go through. I'd be I'd be glad to answer questions (to the best of my knowledge) with the information I was able to discover. I hired 2 builders/consultants (forum members referred by Mark Z.) who did an inspection before I flew out to retrieve the plane; their expert opinion was very helpful and they're free to comment if they wish.

The design is based on a Long-Ez/Cozy III. The designer/builder built the plug for the molded fuselage and worked with Larry Fitzgerald Composites on fuselage and wings. The exterior fit/finish is very good and the interior is spacious (thus the larger frontal area). It has one door only (for simplicity) as it was designed to be pressurized. The canard passes straight through the fuselage so there are no seams on the nose section. Retractable gear was custom designed but is incomplete. I was unable to fully access the engine & propeller but they have been unused for about 20 to 15 years and may need extensive work. The "split flaps" are actually dive brakes on the lower main wings (I'm unqualified to comment on this design). The plane was designed for a 1200# empty weight but I could not verify whether it was possible to achieve.

Overall I very much liked this plane but there were too many unknown variables for me to follow through on the purchase at that time. Thank you to everyone whom I met in CA and supported me on this purchase.

For these type of auctions, it's often better to sell the engine, prop, and experimental fuselage separately. The type of people that are looking for an inexpensive engine won't be interested in a crazy looking plane project, and those that would give the plane a chance, probably want an engine they've picked themselves.

Selling separately would get a better return on investment.

... and worked with Larry Fitzgerald Composites on fuselage and wings....

I don't remember you mentioning that in our discussions. If Mr. Fitzgerald had anything whatsoever to do with this project (or any other, for that matter), I would run as fast as I could away from it.

Reference the COZY newsletters and

http://www.cozybuilders.org/Fitzgerald_Composites_Warning/

for more information on this vendor.

I had bid on (and won) the first Ebay auction... Overall I very much liked this plane but there were too many unknown variables for me to follow through on the purchase at that time.

Has there ever been a recorded case of somebody winning an online auction and then actually handing over the shekels for the aircraft they bought?

Mark Spedding - Spodman
www.mykitlog.com/Spodman

Please don't assume that if a deal fails to transpire that the buyer, seller, or auction mechanism is at fault.

There iare a lot of risk when purchasing any proprietary item on Ebay that is of unknown condition. An independent inspection was warranted to mitigate these risks. In my opinion, this particular project has good potential but my own risk/reward assessment broke down as I weighed the advise and input of several independent sources.

If someone is interested in this project I would offer them my assessment to help them assess their own risk-reward on the merits of the facts. A lot of passion and hard work was put into this aircraft and I would not want to discredit that effort in any way.

• 2 weeks later...

Mark Spedding - Spodman
www.mykitlog.com/Spodman