EC Cutter (Dritz Scissor copy) - YMEN Aust

Spodman

Spotlight at Essendon DFO have these on a runout special, $75, 5 left, (after I got mine). This compares OK with my experience of US prices and save your freight. SWMBO won't let me try it out until my birthday... Appears identical to US example I've seen Drew Chaplin use, but with Oz power supply.

They also have a cheaper alternative, but the blades look like plain steel and they are PINK!

post-451-141090160121_thumb.jpg

Mark Spedding - Spodman
Darraweit Guim - Australia
Cozy IV #1331 -  Chapter 09
www.mykitlog.com/Spodman
www.sites.google.com/site/thespodplane/the-spodplane

Spotlight at Essendon DFO have these on a runout special, $75, 5 left, (after I got mine). This compares OK with my experience of US prices and save your freight. SWMBO won't let me try it out until my birthday... Appears identical to US example I've seen Drew Chaplin use, but with Oz power supply.

They also have a cheaper alternative, but the blades look like plain steel and they are PINK!

I'd say that's an excellent price. I paid $80 USD from Jamestowndistributors.com and then had to have it shipped over. I couldn't find them locally at that time. I've seen them slightly cheaper in the states, but they were out of stock

Congrats.

HENNIE You should order these NOW!!!!

Drew Chaplin (aka the Foam Whisperer)

---

www.Cozy1200.com - I'm a builder now! :cool:

---

Brace for impact...

It's not yellow.. is it ad DRitz

It's not yellow.. is it ad DRitz

It's more difficult to find the scissors with the Dritz Name on them. In my search, I discovered that their branded by several different names. Dritz, Consew, EC. They are all the same product.

---

---

Brace for impact...

It's more difficult to find the scissors with the Dritz Name on them. In my search, I discovered that their branded by several different names. Dritz, Consew, EC. They are all the same product.

I went to the local Spotlight shop and looked at the EC. The blade seem very flimsey. Here the price is $150 Aus...

hennie

If you do not drop them you could probably ge through the whole plane with probably 3 Dritz blade sets, we are talking about the genuine article with carbon inserts not other brands of scissors like B&D.

Eventually epoxy will build up on them and performance will fall off (first sign is it won't cut peel ply without snagging) you need to look at them under a magnifier and shave the epoxy off with a razor blade. Good as new again.

The blades may be small but they will cut through three layers of wet BID and munch through up to six with a little more patience.

Regards, Chrissi

CG Products

www.CozyGirrrl.com

Cozy Mk-IV RG 13B Turbo

If you do not drop them you could probably ge through the whole plane with probably 3 Dritz blade sets, we are talking about the genuine article with carbon inserts not other brands of scissors like B&D.

Regards, Chrissi

The EC definitely does not have the insert. It has a formed blade. Are we sure that EC is the same as Dritz???

Hennie

Mine have the insert, on both heads. I expect both with be useful, the foot thingie comes off. I'm not intending to use them for cutting the fibreglass cloth, my experiments with a disc cutter seem more efficient. I got them for scissor trim of fresh layups, Drew has sold me on that technique. Got it from the Grrrrls I think?

Marked price on mine was $150 also, but they are, like, 'marked down'! Maybe you can challenge your Spotlight to match the price. Not surprised they aren't leaping out the door at the standard price.

Mark Spedding - Spodman
www.mykitlog.com/Spodman

I'm not intending to use them for cutting the fibreglass cloth, my experiments with a disc cutter seem more efficient.

I've used the disc cutter and still prefer dritz. But to each his own.

Got it from the Grrrrls I think?

All good things come from the Girrrls!! I'm not sure from whom they got the idea.

---

---

Brace for impact...

I'm the proud owner of an EC Cutter (with the attachments) as well!

Spod, I went for the carbon pattern instead of the Red/brown as displayed in your pic'.

Drew, I will have to make time one weekend to drop by and check out your Cozy fabrication facility.

Cheers,

Bruce.

Well done Bruce, well done Jerry, well done squirrel:cool:

Mark Spedding - Spodman
www.mykitlog.com/Spodman

• 3 weeks later...

Was in there yesterday buying something for me Mum. 4 left.

Mark Spedding - Spodman
www.mykitlog.com/Spodman

• 3 months later...

Hi all

Have a look at this tool I spotted in a local hardware shop. It is called a Bosch universal cordless cutter. It has a carbide insert

http://www.bosch-do-it.com.au/boptocs2-au/Product.jsp;jsessionid=FDD350F70990E79B6C4625C3FEDEDE83.worker1?country=AU&lang=en&division=hw&ccat_id=100770&event=getDetails&object_id=14253

or:http://www.bosch-pt.com/productspecials/green/xeo/uk/en/

Not sure how the rotating part will stand up to epoxy ingress

Hennie

Just bought a set at Wicks on my way home from Osh at the advice of the Girrrls. Also got most of the other stuff from the CG toolkit that I didn't already have like the permagrit rotary bits. I've only tried the scissors on dry BID so far but they cut it like butter. Erick at Wicks said they use theirs for cutting all sorts of stuff including Kevlar. Now I just have to get back to work on MY airplane!

EUREKA CNC

Eureka%20small.gif

Extreme Precision CNC Hotwire Cutting

Perfection To The Core!

It is called a Bosch universal cordless cutter.

Not sure how the rotating part will stand up to epoxy ingress

I wouldn't want to be near that blade spinning at 240 RPM as it began cutting into laid-up glass. I can't imagine how it would be good on dry glass either.

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

I can't imagine how it would be good on dry glass either.

They don't do too bad on dry fabric. I still prefer the Dritz. I'm not a big fan of the cordless stuff. It seems they always run out at the wrong time. :(

T Mann - Loooong-EZ/20B Infinity R/G Chpts 18

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

We add rocket's to everything!

4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 14, 19, 20 Done

The cool thing about the Dritz cordless scissors is that if the battery dies, you just plug it in using the same wall transformer that charges the battery. This allows the same scissors to be used with a power cord so you don't have to wait to recharge.

EUREKA CNC

Eureka%20small.gif

Extreme Precision CNC Hotwire Cutting

Perfection To The Core!

• 4 weeks later...

Have a look at this tool I spotted in a local hardware shop. It is called a Bosch universal cordless cutter. It has a carbide insert"

My son bought me a Bosch cutter for my birthday :D and I must say I am impressed. It cuts through 6 layers of BID fibreglass with no problem. I will test it more over the weekend

Hennie