Subaru Diesel "Hot"!!!!!

Well it's finally here the Scooby Diesel, 2 Litre, 148bhp. 300NM Torque. Now there is a lot of talk in Europe about an Impreza STI Diesel putting out about 180-200 bhp may be more. Little bit of remapping,I reckon they'll be good for about 230-240 bhp with 400NM Torque (wow!!!, think that probably rules out wooden props).

http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2008/03/subaru-thinking-about-diesel-powered.html

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/217485/subaru_impreza.html

As of this week, it's almost read. Subaru are smirking and not denying!!! Read into that what you will?

I wish Kumaros was here to post about how HOT this really is....I wish deezils were hotter than they are at present. Right now they just run HOT. Hopefully this could transition into an airframe if it is really hot, but not HOT. Theilert needs to actually be hot....but its not. And if they do fix their HOTness they need to agree to sell to other than kitplane builders to be hot for us.

Please somebody, build an actual obtainable great 230hp diesel for us Cozy builders. Now that would be...h-o-t.

Self confessed Wingnut.

Now think about it...wouldn't you rather LIVE your life, rather than watch someone else's, on Reality T.V.?

Get up off that couch!!! =)

Progress; Fuselage on all three, with outside and inside nearly complete. 8 inch extended nose. FHC done. Canard finished. ERacer wings done with blended winglets. IO540 starting rebuild. Mounting Spar. Starting strake ribs.

Just been reading about VAG (VW Audi Group), are releasing their new generation of diesels in September in Europe, 2 Litre Oil Burner pushing out 220BHP. 3 Litre pushing 300BHP. emmmmm intresting!!!

That's when Subaru are meant to be releasing the Impreza STI Diesel. Bet they'll want to keep up with VAG.

Please somebody, build an actual obtainable great 230hp diesel for us Cozy builders. Now that would be...h-o-t.

Well The toyota V8 twin turbo diesel pushes 200 kW/600 NM at 3400/1800 rpm. All aluminum engine. I saw a V6 prototype in Brisbane 5 weeks ago that should become available in July 2008, I have no idea what the engine weights are

Hennie

I noticed in an Australian review the peak torque is shown at 1800 rpm. Direct drive an option to keep the weight down???

Mark Spedding - Spodman
Darraweit Guim - Australia
Cozy IV #1331 -  Chapter 09
www.mykitlog.com/Spodman
www.sites.google.com/site/thespodplane/the-spodplane

I noticed in an Australian review the peak torque is shown at 1800 rpm. Direct drive an option to keep the weight down???

Not being an alternative engine apostle, direct drive with support bearings seems the way. Even more interesting is the V6 which some are saying will be in excess of 225 hp. I would, by direct comparison place it at 200hp although this will be a supercharged diesel.. pretty interesting.

hennie

... where did you see that reference.

Either March or Feb Wheels magazine. I gather you are local, it was on the waiting room table in the Dentist surgery at Essendon Airport. You can go there if you wish, I don't have to for another year:D

Mark Spedding - Spodman
Darraweit Guim - Australia
Cozy IV #1331 -  Chapter 09
www.mykitlog.com/Spodman
www.sites.google.com/site/thespodplane/the-spodplane

Specifications of the EE20

Displacement .............. 1998cc

Maximum output ............ 110kw(150PS)/3600rpm

Maximum torque ............ 350N·m/1800rpm

CO2 emission .............. 148g/km

Compression ratio ......... 16.3

Bore × stroke ............. 86.0 × 86.0mm

Bore pitch ................ 98.4mm

Bank offset ............... 46.8mm

Deck height ............... 220mm

Journal diameter .......... φ67mm

Pin diameter .............. φ55mm

Rod center distance ....... 134mm

Piston pin diameter ....... φ31mm

Compression height ........ 43.0mm

Fuel injection system ..... common rail

Turbocharger .............. variable nozzle turbocharger

EGR ....................... water cooled

DPF ....................... open

Total length .............. 353.5mm

So, power is a little light for a cozy, but interestingly, it's way down at 3600 rpm... perhaps even low enough for direct drive if you accept a little static thrust loss? Though you'd still need a thrust bearing structure. Interestingly, it's the same width as an EJ20, and over two inches shorter than that engine, so physically, it should fit, and weight, while unspecified, seems to be about 44 lbs more over the axle from what I read somewhere, and that probably includes some for the fact that the diesel version of the car has an electric steering pump and a a/c unit able to run as a heat pump to provide heating on startup (as diesels warm up slower), both of which are probably heavier than the previous systems and therefore some of that weight.

Anyhow, the data is from a Fuji Heavy Industries technical briefing, excepts posted at http://techon.nikkeibp.co.jp/english/NEWS_EN/20080222/147866/

Craig K.

Cozy IV #1457

building chapter seven!

http://www.maddyhome.com/canardpages/pages/chasingmars/index.html