RST Engineering- bad experience

:mad:

I noticed a thread on here from 2004, with people posting of bad experiences with RST Engineering. Why are they still in business?! Nothing has changed.

I ordered in Feb. After nothing arriving for 2 wks, I emailed. No reply. I called. Answering machine. Two more weeks. Nothing.

Finally I got through to a person. (a male) He said they were working on the item. I said "couldn't you have sent an updating email, or something? Come on, I was about to do a charge back because I wasn't getting any updates! ALL I wanted to know was what was going on".

Apparently Mr Man was having a bad day, because he just screeched "I'm refunding your money" and banged the phone down.

WOW.:confused:

That's how they treat customers? Really??

So I'm posting to every forum I find to advise avoiding these folks. It's not worth your time or aggravation.

Yes, they are slow... but will deliver, eventually.

According to their webpage, it's a very small shop. I gave myself a huge lead time when ordering my antenna kit.

It certainly doesn't help your current position. There are other sources for baluns and copper tape that RST put together.

Remi Khu

Cozy Mk IV

Plan #1336

It's a small shop. Needless to say, if he takes any time off things go undone.

Best approach....be patient. He's a technical guy and as such excels.

He's not a people guy.

You just need to decide what is most important to you.......quality product or customer service.

T Mann - Loooong-EZ/20B Infinity R/G Chpts 18

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

We add rocket's to everything!

4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 14, 19, 20 Done

Thanks you two, but I think we live in a fast paced world now where things can get done both quickly and well. I don't expect any less. You can't be a curmudgeon and really think people will buy from you.

I'm perfectly happy to go elsewhere.

They are slower than they could be, but at the same time, there is more than enough sources of information showing that they ship slowly. It shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone.

I sent a check to RST in Nov., then checked on my order in Jan.... they had not received my check. So I then ordered with paypal, just got the kit last week.

RST is slow, but hey, we all know that. I'm sorry he slammed the phone down and cancelled your order... seems inappropriate to me too.

Andrew Anunson

I work underground and I play in the sky... no problem

It's a small shop. Needless to say, if he takes any time off things go undone.

Yup. This was a topic of discussion on another canard forum last summer, and here's a great quote by Neverquit that puts it in perspective:

"Funny you always think of a big warehouse somewhere instead of some poor slob bagging up a bunch of orders in a garage."

Joe Polenek

Joe

Cozy Mk IV #1550

.... yep, it's all a result of our technology culture. When I bought my plans, they didn't process my order overnight or ship it next day air.

Now we buy something online and we expect it to be here by mid-week.

The reality check is when you ask your teenager to do something and talk about slow response time.:D

Actually, if Jim just sold you the knowledge he transfers with the documentation and let you fend for yourself for parts ........ it would still be a good deal.

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

I guess I am out of this loop, real far out. Who is Jim that could be selling his knowledge as a great resource? This is a first name basis for a Jim.

Self confessed Wingnut.

Now think about it...wouldn't you rather LIVE your life, rather than watch someone else's, on Reality T.V.?

Get up off that couch!!! =)

Progress; Fuselage on all three, with outside and inside nearly complete. 8 inch extended nose. FHC done. Canard finished. ERacer wings done with blended winglets. IO540 starting rebuild. Mounting Spar. Starting strake ribs.

Who is Jim that could be selling his knowledge as a great resource?

'Jim' is Jim Weir (Mr. RST Engineering.) He's written several pieces in some of the older issues of Kit Planes and other publications. When you order the kit, you get a document that give not only instructions for installation but also a rational explanation as to the 'why' that goes with it.

Even if you did not intall his kit, the documentation is worth the price in my opinion.

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

"Funny you always think of a big warehouse somewhere instead of some poor slob bagging up a bunch of orders in a garage."

I resemble that remark...

I dropped Jim a note 3 months ago, never got a reply. With no disrespect for Jim, the info and parts are available other places if you look. Tracy's stained glass workshop, steinaire, Marc Z's site, ACS/Wicks ...

And I would prefer if you don't refer to me as "some poor slob". :P:D

Rick Hall; MK-IV plans #1477; cozy.zggtr.org

Build status: 1-7, bits of 8-9, 10, 14 done! Working on engine/prop/avionics.

Thanks Tmann.

For the record..paying for knowledge is a dying concept with all the similarly wiki minded out there. I think its petty precious, and agree with you completely about paying for its worth. Sounds like the guy is fed up with the consumers "I can get it cheaper at Home Depot mentality" out there.

Self confessed Wingnut.

Now think about it...wouldn't you rather LIVE your life, rather than watch someone else's, on Reality T.V.?

Progress; Fuselage on all three, with outside and inside nearly complete. 8 inch extended nose. FHC done. Canard finished. ERacer wings done with blended winglets. IO540 starting rebuild. Mounting Spar. Starting strake ribs.

I have purchased from RST and have been completely satisfied with the transaction. Not to judge anyone posting in this thread -- but homebuilt aviation is done for the love and not for the money. Thus anyone with a "consumerist" attitude insisting on service according to their expectations might not get there and experience a few bumps... Ask Elliot Spitzer. :)

I rethought my wiki remark. If you are a fan of wiki's, I am not saying you want something for nothing. Something for nothing is not what this thread is about.

Self confessed Wingnut.

I guess I better chime in here really quickly. I have purchased antenna kits from Jim Weir for two airplanes. He was slow 20 years ago and he is slower now. I guess he is over 50 also. He does get it to you eventually so you just have to plan ahead and if you are in a big hurry order the materials over night from spruce. Build on STeve

Steve Harmon

Lovin Life in Idaho

Cozy IV Plans #1466 N232CZ

http://websites.expercraft.com/bigsteve/

Working on Chapter 19,21

I just want to say the kit and info were great and very usefull. when you are a one man show its hard to be the builder salesman and shipping clerk.

mine took a month or two to get but was happy to deal somebody that went back to the early rutan days. I am glad he is still here.

I dont have any conection to Jim

Tom

I would suggest anyone wanting to beat up on this fellow is barking up the wrong tree. He provides a really great service in his articles in the various magazines (over many YEARS) and the products he creates for very reasonable pricing.

If you are in a hurry or need to catch up to your smokin' retracts, go buy elsewhere and pay for your needs. This guy is a true gem in our industry and some of you are going to alienate a tremendous resource.

STOP IT! :irked:

Did not think that his service was "lightning fast" but then I was not in a hurry at the time.

Bought the "mixer" box from them at the time. To me it was an education, since I could not tell the top from the bottom of a transistor, or any of these little critters. At the end of the excercise it all came together and works a treat in my Cozy ... OK, I have since forgotten what end of the transistor is the top, but it was fun getting to grips with this product!

Sad to hear some of you don't get the service you expect, but just maybe you have it too easy there in the USA, where everything seems to work ...

Regards

From Johannesburg, South Africa :)

I live in my own little world! but its OK, they know me here!

Chris Van Hoof, Johannesburg, South Africa operate from FASY (Baragwanath)

Cozy Mk IV, ZU-CZZ, IO-360 (200hp) 70x80 prop

This guy is a true gem in our industry and some of you are going to alienate a tremendous resource.

STOP IT! :irked:

Yeah, What he said...

I put in an order with RST right in the face of this thread and it will get here when it gets here. Besides, as smokin-fast as our "Girrls" ship their great products :D, I'll have plenty to do while I wait, patiently.

Hat

Airspeed is Life -

:cool: - Having lots of it

is Better!