Velocity crash

Lynn Erickson

.......... I will watch for you. :rolleyes:

That's good, TMann. You should watch for everyone. That's pretty much the law of the land when it comes to pilot-controlled airports. Fly safely! :cool2:

Phil Kriley

Cozy #1460

Chapter 13 - nose

Right wing done - working on right winglet.

After reading the eyewitness account and after looking at the airport diagram (assuming eyewitness acount is error free and the diagram markup is accurate)---why did he veer left to avoid the RV? Does not make sense----if he wanted to veer, he should have gone right. Maybe he stomped on the brakes too hard and failed the right brake??

My understanding is that there were plane(s) on the runway - the RV's that were in the first group of 4 that had done the overhead break. It's really difficult to piece together what actually happened from all of the various reports. It could have been a go-around that was initiated too late, mechanical failure, lot's of theories, but nothing definite yet. That's why it's way too early to point the finger of blame at anyone. We really don't know what went wrong. May the deceased rest in peace. :(

Phil Kriley

Cozy #1460

Chapter 13 - nose

Right wing done - working on right winglet.

My understanding is that there were plane(s) on the runway -

Interesting.......but the best quote comes from the NTSB investigator:

NTSB investigators said they hope to speak to the surviving pilot to see why he needed to land while other planes were still on the runway.

T Mann - Loooong-EZ/20B Infinity R/G Chpts 18

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

We add rocket's to everything!

4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 14, 19, 20 Done

Most people in the Velocity community know Uli. He built a beautiful airplane and is a very gentle sole. The latest is ( from Velo Reflector) he is in an induced coma with burns over 40% of his body, at this point survival is not certain.

I am sure that if he survives, he will have a very heavy heart for the rest of his life. Whether he remembers the details of the crash, remains to be seen. It could be a while before the FAA gets a chance to talk to him. He went in to the coma before his friend and passanger past away. All of us could only imagine how devistating it would be to be in his shoes.

We don't know what caused this accident, but we should learn from it and change our bad habits at the Rough River fly-in (myself included). Planes lining the runway edge, and people walking and sitting within several feet of the runway during both high speed fly-by's as well as fast (by nature) landings. Yeah its fun, I know.

There is a reason that hangars, tie downs, and buildings aren't built up against runways.

If we don't correct this ourselves, then eventually something will happen to change Rough River for us.

Andrew Anunson

I work underground and I play in the sky... no problem

hey folks, sitting in the terminal at IAD (Dulles) waiting for my flight, and saw video on CNN airport headline news of what looks like this incident. :( i guess someone released a tape. sorry about being so brief, but im posting from my cellphone and thought i would update you all.

Edit: i just checked and its apparently on cnn.com as well.

I just watched the CNN Video. There was a RV on the taxiway just clearing the runway and a second RV still on the runway. The camera then pans off to the left and you hear the collision. The RV on the taxiway was the one in the collision. This far down with a plane on the runway, it looks like maybe a go around was being attempted. Thats the only thing I could figure.

Unfortunately it seems that a reinforced roof would have done little to help in this accident, since the fuel strake was ripped open by the impact.

Disagree:

The velocity came to rest inverted. Even if the canopy had come off it would be difficult to get out.

The rollover structure has always been sited as ineffective. Rutan & Co. have addressed this as an area that should be improved and have a published suggested revision of the same.

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

• 11 months later...

This one makes me think??

A lever mechanism mounted inside on the roof in a extended straight line

behind the door hinges which allowes you to pull the pins out of the door hinge would help to get out of the inverted plane.

There was no top impact in the Velocity passengers?

I asume the fire killed them.

I asume the fire killed them.

No, it was a straight in approach to an occupied runway that killed all of them.

I'm one for flying the pattern ......... as instructed. Had he been on base leg turning final, he would have seen the traffic.

The pilot is the only survivor and the NTSB report is still open as it usually is when fatalities are involved.

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

I would be careful passing out judgement on situations like this. I suspect that he didn't hear the call that this was a 4 ship landing, and had it not been, that they likely would have been clear of the active. Anybody can make a mistake, especially doing something that they've done safely many times previous. Even if he'd flown the pattern he could have seen the #1 ship exit and miss the #4 and still chose to land. I know that I tend to go around if I haven't gotten the 'clear of the active' call by the time I turn final, but not everybody makes that call. I still wonder how he missed seeing them in time to go around, but I wasn't there. Maybe he was so focused on the touch-down point that he didn't see them, but it's all just speculation.

B

---

Brett Ferrell

Velocity XL/FG

Cincinnati, OH

http://www.velocityxl.com

I understand Brett. I just can't imagine ever being on final with someone on the runway. Here in the midwest, the Ag-Cat guys will pull out onto the runway right in front of you and I have yet to see anyone doing a straight in approach yeild to traffic in the pattern.

The NTSB guy said it best. "I want to know why he felt he had to land on a runway with aircraft on it."

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

Yes, and I'm sure it will trouble him the rest of his days, as well. I can't imagine the burden, to be honest.

But, having met him, I know he was not a careless pilot, and it gives me pause. I thought of him when my wife landed our Velocity on a country highway, and I thought 'there but for the grace of God go I'. Ugly, unexpected things happen, and the best you can hope for is that you don't harm anyone else as a result.

B

---

Brett Ferrell

Velocity XL/FG

Cincinnati, OH

http://www.velocityxl.com

I agree 100%. Best we can do is learn from it.

I would not want to experience either the physical or mental pain that resulted from that incident. To be regarded as the cause while also being the sole survivor would be a load to carry.

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

I understand Brett. I just can't imagine ever being on final with someone on the runway. Here in the midwest, the Ag-Cat guys will pull out onto the runway right in front of you and I have yet to see anyone doing a straight in approach yeild to traffic in the pattern.

The NTSB guy said it best. "I want to know why he felt he had to land on a runway with aircraft on it."

One day fine day with my CFI I was cleared to land on a straight in approch at our tower controlled OLM. The guy in the tower forgot about us and cleared a bussiness jet for takeoff when we less than 1/4 mile final. The Jet started to pull out onto the runway and I was so busy concentrating on my final approch to understand what was happening. Fortunatly my instructor calmly reminded the tower and the other traffic that we were on short final. The jet stopped and we went around.

Now if it wasn't for my instructor, both the controller, jet pilot and student (me) could have had a very bad day. The weather was great, the other pilot should have easily been able to see me just fine if he had been looking.

That was a very good lesson to me in situational awarness and "see and avoid". Funnly thing is that I asked my instructor before the flight about go-around proceedures.

I guess my point here is that without diligent attention in the pattern we all can get into trouble. I always take a second or third look before pulling out onto the runway regardless of what the controller has to say, and I look high and low on approch.