Post rollover

I think there is a problem with how fast the new post get rolled into the individual catagories.

Last week I posted at about 2:00pm and it rolled out before 5:00pm

That means it only stayed on the new post menu for 3 hours, maybe less.

In this regard I don't know what I might be missing from other posters if they roll out that fast.

How 'New Posts' are marked as old is confusing, but is entirely consistent. There's a timeout setting (currently set at 25 minutes) which will mark posts as old, but only those posts that existed since your last moment of activity, ie. "a click").

Worst case example would be if you visit the forum, do nothing for 26 minutes, and then your New Posts will show only those posts that were new from 26 minutes ago.

Other end of the spectrum would be if you click something on the forum every 24 minutes for 6 hours. In this scenario, NO New Posts will have a chance to be marked as long as you are clicking within the timeout setting.

Of course, the Quick Links -> Today's Posts works too (actually shows posts within the past 24 hours, not just since midnight).

I just changed the timeout from 25 minutes to 30 minutes.

Enjoy!

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

Jon,

thanks for that, I never actually knew how that worked. So as long at you're still actively visiting the website, the messages stay marked as new.

So say you click New posts and 12 threads are shown. I click and read only one of them. The plane blows up so I run out to the garage for an hour. When I come back, will all twelve thread be marked as read or will only the one?

To prevent losing unread threads, I click New Posts. Then in Firefox, I hold CTRL and click on each of the threads to open in an individual threads. That way all the threads are open on my screen I don't have to worry about losing them if I walk away.

Also If I visit the site and ONLY read a PM, will that mark off old threads?

Drew Chaplin (aka the Foam Whisperer)

---

www.Cozy1200.com - I'm a builder now! :cool:

---

Brace for impact...

When I come back, will all twelve thread be marked as read or will only the one?

All twelve will be marked as read.

To prevent losing unread threads, I click New Posts. Then in Firefox, I hold CTRL and click on each of the threads to open in an individual threads.

That's a good technique, and works in Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 (and possibly earlier versions) as well.

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

Then in Firefox, I hold CTRL and click on each of the threads to open in an individual threads.

Was caught doing something like this by by 14 year old. He showed me that a center button mouse click opens the link in a new tab in Firefox. In IE7, if you have multiple tabs open it even keeps the new link tab next to the current one.

Mark Spedding - Spodman
Darraweit Guim - Australia
Cozy IV #1331 -  Chapter 09
www.mykitlog.com/Spodman
www.sites.google.com/site/thespodplane/the-spodplane