F22, F28 ready for glassing

killerb1971

I 5min epoxied the doubler and F28 together, staged the glass for all 3 pieces and will continue tomorrow with the glassing. I also traced out the hardpoints and have to figure out how I will cut them out now.

I simply used a jig saw with a fine tooth blade. Worked great.

Kraig

I did the first layup on F22 and F28 yesterday afternoon. Everything went great. Then I went to move the parts this morning, less than 20HRS after layup and snagged the dry (non epoxied overhang) edge of the glass hanging off the bottom side of F22 on something as I was walking and it ripped about 4" of the top layer of BID from the lower layer on the bottom right corner. :irked: The glass was hard, but not fully cured yet obviously. I am using MGS 285 with slow hardener and my shop stays between 70-80 degrees constantly. My friend Gene told me that we could peel both layers of glass back and expose the foam, sand the epoxy from the foam and redo a layup as a patch with a 1" overlap on the previous layup. I used peel ply on the whole layup, so it will bond to the other glass. We have already peeled the layers back and cut them at an angle where the layup still has a good bond. I'm just concerned about the integrity of the part. Is this method safe, or do I scrap the part? All of my other layups are hard as a rock and cured great. This one would have been the same if I wasn't so careless in moving it. I don't want to cut any corners in constructing my plane, but if this repair is safe and acceptable, I will do it this one time and HOPEFULLY learn from my mistake. One other option.... can I cut the exposed foam out and 5min epoxy a new piece in and do a patch that way, so I can slurry some fresh foam? All adivce is GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks

Rob Wiehl

COZY MKIV #1521

Do the plans accepted patch and slap your self for being so clumsy:D I bet you dont do that again. :cool: STeve

I've been doing plenty of beating myself up over this one, trust me!! I just want to make sure that a repair on such a piece would be acceptable. I'll do the plans recomended patch. Thanks Steve! :)

Rob Wiehl

COZY MKIV #1521

Well.....the project is on hold for a week or so. My friend Gene (who introduced me to this plane and is a great source of help and info) had the transmission go out on his Honda Accord. I offered to help him out, so My past week and through this weekend will be dedicated to pulling a transmission and swapping it with another. Turns out there is ALOT of other stuff needed in the process, like CV axles, ball joints, radiator, hoses, timing belt, front and rear main seals, water pump, all motor mounts, and the list goes on. Well I got the trans in and most of the car put back together last night, and found out I left an oring off of the new torque converter! So guess what I have to do. YUP! I have to tear the entire thing back down again and pull the trans back out to put this simple oring back on the torque converter!!!:irked: At least I know I'll be getting alot of help on my plane. He did give me 2 gallons of MGS 285 as well, which I thought was nice, seing how I'm running low. I know it seems like alot of work, but it is his only transportation and he is a fellow Cozy builder. Well...he has plans #0002 from Nat, and has NEVER started it yet! I'm trying to get him motivated but he wants to finish his Quickie project first. I am really anxious to start back on my Cozy. I'm going through withdrawls from not building!

Rob Wiehl

COZY MKIV #1521