Heads Up Display

jeff122670

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Indeed I have! 2 ideas:

1) The BM EFIS/1 has a VGA out, last I looked. Mount a bright panel facing up, and then mount a prism over it, and you have something pretty close to whats done in a military jet, from what I know. Ideally, you'd want to eliminate most of the colours used and go with some very simple high contrast line art for the HUD... If I can't get that out of BM, there's alot of resources on the net for making my own EFIS. I'd just rather not re-invent the wheel.

2) The eyetap (www.eyetap.org). I think the design Prof. Mann uses lacks resiliency if the computer, lcd or ccd fails, but I think that's some minor changes to fix. The eyetap opens up more possibilities for synthetic vision, I think, but having never actually used one, I have a suspicion that it only working on one eye might be disorienting in some circumstances.

I don't know of anyone that is working on this.

Some work that is going on is being done by those in the glass panel group that Al Wick started. They have written some software integrating sensors, etc, to detect and alarm (by voice) certain situations requiring the pilots attention.

Now, with this in mind, what limits are there?

I'm looking into incorporating voice recognition software, to trigger "speaking" updates, audible checklists, etc. There are daylight touch screens available for the panel that are the same level of quality you would find in a Dynon or the like.

Check out the glass panel group list on yahoo.

T Mann - Loooong-EZ/20B Infinity R/G Chpts 18

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

We add rocket's to everything!

4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 14, 19, 20 Done

has anyone in here ever given thought to designing a heads up display for experimental aircraft?

i have tried several designs and i think i have a good design, but i wanted to poll the masses to see if anyone has anything thoughts on it...

i am certainly open to any ideas or suggestions....

jeff

jeff122670@yahoo.com

I know there was a couple of long eze's that had one installed. several years ago saw one at an airshow. there was someone with an ad and artical in sport aviation a while back. It was a very expensive unit. what are you going to use it for, most of the flying eze's have had the guns removed

Evolultion Eze RG -a two place side by side-200 Knots on 200 HP. A&P / pilot for over 30 years

why would you need a HUD to gun someone??? cant you emply the gun with an Iron Site??

ok, enough of the sillyness...

i heard the the BM EFIS had an output...and you are right, it would be best to have a SINGLE color, line graphics like a real HUD, but i havent been able to get a company (BM, PC flight systems, Dynon, moutainscope, etc, etc) to change their displays, so it looks like we are stuck with the brown ground and blue sky. however, more familierity with the products might open more doors.

i have the design down now. i plan to use an LCD screen with a halogen bulb behind it and a mirror at 45 degrees. project that through a fresnel lens or some sort of colimator to focus the image to close to infinity and then display it on a beamsplitter (you can get them from anchor optics)..

anyway, that is my idea........

i would really like to use an EFIS that can plug into something like an SL30 that would allow for precision approaches to be shot fom the HUD....

anyone have any add-ons or thoughts......other than removing guns from a Long-ez.....

Jeff

i would really like to use an EFIS that can plug into something like an SL30 that would allow for precision approaches to be shot fom the HUD....

Isn't that what approach certified GPS (or ILS) and autopilot are for? ;) I am pretty sure computers can fly better approaches than I ever could.

commercial pilots have it so nice: turn final, push button, sit back and relax. :irked:

I'd hit this... two times.... if it were actually a product that was out to market...

http://www.microvision.com/vehicle_displays/head_up_displays.html

Right now, I think the best option is OLED (organic LED) displays. One problem, they are almost impossible to find

I think that a commercially produced HUD projector could be effectively reverse engineered though. Anyone have one laying around? :envy:

So far, this is the closest that I have seen, and I am sure that I could find a superbright VGA screen instead of the dynon one he used:

http://dynonavionics.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?action=dereferer;url=http://spaces.msn.com/members/variviggen/PersonalSpace.aspx?_c01_photoalbum=showdefault&_c=photoalbum

CozyGrrls... since you know more than most of the rest of us combined about BMA gear... I have a couple of questions:

1. Does the BMA EFIS controller really have a VGA out? What resolution? TrueVGA 640x480 or something else, selectable perhaps?

2. If it does, is there any way to select what data is dumped out this port? (ex: art horiz, gps moving map, card compass, etc)

only about glass cockpits and if you reference it you wont find anything about heads up displays...

Well then, start up a 'Heads-Up_display' group on Yahoo.

I think that the amount of information available on Al Wick's group would be a benefit. We talked about the Planar displays months ago. I think a group dedicated to the display method would run a little thin on conversation after about ........ say, a week.

T Mann - Loooong-EZ/20B Infinity R/G Chpts 18

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

We add rocket's to everything!

4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 14, 19, 20 Done

My whole idea to put together an LCD VGA display or Electroluminescent display, forward facing with a mirror, then shoot that up through a beamsplitter panel for the overlay. This isn't a difficult concept, it will keep the image upright and readable without any funky manipulation of the video signal, etc. ;)

So when I was pointing you guys at the 'glass panel' stuff, i implied using the 5.5" VGA LCD, or the EL panel for the HUD.

Like this:

http://byfiles.storage.live.com/y1pXPUvEYKdDQpkjEHLjjeOeSmHnnlkvxngEPlYoa-Ca4WnbAiGQ6nbVirXwGlHAIBsgVVPrqOmWSg

http://byfiles.storage.live.com/y1pXPUvEYKdDQpz_4WrAt0_jjDe27sjAWAVfXytDY2huG1diP8eHdh8fI_zJJEg6aWd_VCH1LQoM0E

EDIT: the only thing you would need to do is run remote brightness control to the front panel, or wire up something automatic. also have a way to shut it off, and height adjust it.

yeah, that model of HUD was done by Charlie (cant remember the last name).

he uses a 80/20 beamsplitter for day and a 60/40 for night....

i would like to use a SEPARATE VGA display and be able to control the brightness myself..

however, you will notice that is a dynon and i dont think they have an output for their graphics...

any word from BMA? is their output ONLY on the EFIS 1?

I just looked at the BMA FAQ, and it runs RealTime Linux, an OS which I am VERY familiar with..... I'd need to look at the hardware, but I think something could be done.

I could probably get (or could possibly already have) a VM/Development environment for whatever hardware they are using.

However, I probably wouldnt 'go inside' without their blessing.

VGA aux out would be optimal.

How would you handle focusing the display at infinity? That's how military HUDs are setup. This lets you see the image without having to refocus your eyes. I'm not sure what the optics invovled would be but if they aren't cost prohibitive for mere mortals it might be somethgn worth considering.

How would you handle focusing the display at infinity?.

That's actually the easiest part. I'ts quite trivial. Remember, you are looking through the image, which is being rendered further away than it appears.. :)

Bonus points to the person who can say the lens that would do it, and where it should be placed in the optical path .:cool2:

i was initially thinking a Fresnel lens after the 45 degree bend...

however, i read something about a colimator (spell) that does this for you...

i havent been able to find the type of lens that would do it, but i was thinking you might be able to use a lens system from a slide projector or something....

help the "optically challenged"......

Jeff

A fresnel lens can actually be part of a collimator assembly. :) and yes, you are exactly right. you would probably put it in the light path just near the primary reflector

I think that I am going to get building a test box to test with an LCD this weekend.

Example:

http://www.mikesflightdeck.com/head_up_displays.htm

EDIT: Much more detailed information, which also addresses stereoscopic and portal effect errors introduced by infinity focus

http://books.google.com/books?id=rbKkojYNjecC&pg=RA1-PA25&lpg=RA1-PA25&dq=collimating+lens+system+hud&source=web&ots=PYEuJI2lqG&sig=3XWLn-x0brBHdfgBJcXjmbL0_-M#PRA1-PA37,M1

Wow, ok. How do you put these optics together? Where would you buy them or scavenge them from ? What do I google on! AGRGH, now you've peaked my interest. Darnit!

Wait,

aren't Fresnel lenses what are used in lighthouses? Crap, I know just enough to know I dont know squat about optics..