CP updates in OpenEZ & more

Aiman

I downloaded the reformatted C.P. 1-82 PDF document from cozybuilders.org, and am going through them. I am trying to figure out why we don't just combine the relevant CP updates into the build manual?

It seems like it would be trivial to OCR the typewriter-produced original build manual, then insert the reformatted updates and drawings into the Open-EZ build documents, then add the Roncz and long rudder (or other) plans. It's actually a project that I could take on myself, as my box absolutely rips at OCR, and properly cuts out the images. I will look into it when I get my TERF disc ordered. Then we could release it as either a .odf (open document) or cleaned up, single PDF.

Anyone have any objections or see any barriers to doing this, then releasing it as our own 'Open-EZ builders guide' ? ex. Would it be considered a copyright violation if we did extensive re-edits of the documentation?

I'm envisioning a 'one click' download of the plans drawings & builders guide for future builders, along with an OpenEz per-chapter Wiki, perhaps at a dedicated openez site. The Wiki 'framework' I could have done in an afternoon, as I work with that type of stuff on a daily basis...

EDIT: In fact... here is a summary of the safety related changes to the Long-EZ that were included in the CP newsletters:

http://www.cozybuilders.org/ref_info/Canard_Pusher/LongEZ_Plans_ChangesUpdate.htm

Very valuable summary.

Perhaps we could harness some of your energy and ambition and put to good work. :)

There's no reason all that couldn't happen, and is why some of it already is. The Long-EZ plans have been OCR'd, just not "finished" to include updates, etc.

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

I can apply the text updates that I have from the OCR/PDF CP newsletters, but after reading through them, it seems that some of them come with (and reference) illustrations that I do not have...

If you want me to build a Wiki/Portal Website, I can bang together something on my server here at home in about 20 minutes...

...it seems that some of them come with (and reference) illustrations that I do not have...

The TERF CDs contain THE BEST versions of the CP issues (up through #82 at least), with pictures, and searchable (OCR'd) text.

If you want me to build a Wiki/Portal Website, I can bang together something on my server here at home in about 20 minutes...

I'm upgrading the site soon, to fix the calendar issues and to add a front-end portal. What would you like to see here? There's already a Wiki out there that is the source of quite a bit of commotion, so not sure we want to create another one modeled after that one...

Jon,

It smells like you use vBulletin. ;) I would look into portal/frontends that can just interface with vB. I'm sure you can find some on the vB support forum. vBadvanced CMPS and vBPortal are two that pop into my head.

But if you want to do a portal from scratch, nothing can beat Joomla. Open source, free, and the best I have ever used. Incredibly steep learning curve though. It beat me up the first 2 or 3 times I designed a site with it. :irked:

If you want a 'recipe' for a killer site, I'm sure I could steer you in the right direction. It's what I do professionaly. (no charge, of course) :)

Hmmm... "smells"? Isn't it more obvious than that? :) vBulletin is pretty darn good.

I setup a vBadvanced CMPS site on top of these forums and will be rolling that out as soon as I can. I want to redo it first, one more time.

I've heard good things about Joomla, but can't handle any more learning curves right now. I'm betting my professional life on SharePoint right now.

Advice and input is more than welcome!

Sharepoint... ahhhh microsoft.. actually a good product, I admit. :)

Well.. I would put a specific area on the site for the openEz, a file area... maybe a dedicated section for each canard type.. the key to a good site is a lot of searchable info.. the more the better, imo

Articles written by users could be cool... How-To's... A well maintained links section... photo gallery. umm.. im sure I could think of other stuff, but thats what popped into my head while I was typing out this post. Anyone else care to contribute?

OH.. yeah.. good design. Good graphics. Unfortunately in today's world, people lend a LOT of credibility to a site based on its layout and graphics design. Sad, but true.