Elbow eyeballs

Edge 513

Well, after looking many places for almost an hour..I figured I have paid my price and I guess can ask my question.

Whose LongEze is it in this below showing this ELBOW type aluminum eyeball, as I want to ask where to maybe buy similar? He had a nice writeup as I recall....

I usually tag the builder on my photo label, but this was long ago that I found this and kept it as interesting, and I guess I didn't then.

Elbow eyeball assembly.bmp

Self confessed Wingnut.

Now think about it...wouldn't you rather LIVE your life, rather than watch someone else's, on Reality T.V.?

Get up off that couch!!! =)

Progress; Fuselage on all three, with outside and inside nearly complete. 8 inch extended nose. FHC done. Canard finished. ERacer wings done with blended winglets. IO540 starting rebuild. Mounting Spar. Starting strake ribs.

Looks nice but you could buy the straight vents and recess them slightly into the strake, pointing at you. Probably cheaper, too. The leading manufacturer is Wemac. Aircraft Spruce carries the straight versions (gulp, $184 each). I often see them at fly markets for a lot less. It's just incredible to me how much the new ones cost.

-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-750 hrs, Long-EZ-85 hrs and sold

I use the regular straight ones, they're mounted in a similiar fashion. There is a small (3/4) inch hole in the leading edge of the strake, and the eyeball vent is recessed up in the strake.

Take a look at:

http://www.iflyez.com/LongEZ_Retrofit_APR_05.shtml

Scroll down to 10 APR. You can see how I made a small bulkhead that the eyeball mounts to.

Waiter

F16 performance on a Piper Cub budget

LongEZ, 160hp, MT CS Prop, Downdraft cooling, Full retract

visit: www.iflyez.com

Thanks you two, I still want to try to find these elbow eyeballs.

I don't even want to position them exactly like they are shown in the photo, but the elbow shape and orientation is useful to me.

[i wanna create a little bit of an fiberglass fairing to keep the profile shallow]

Does anybody know whose Long Eze this is?

Gracias.

Self confessed Wingnut.

Now think about it...wouldn't you rather LIVE your life, rather than watch someone else's, on Reality T.V.?

Progress; Fuselage on all three, with outside and inside nearly complete. 8 inch extended nose. FHC done. Canard finished. ERacer wings done with blended winglets. IO540 starting rebuild. Mounting Spar. Starting strake ribs.

Okay. I found him finally. I would've used Marcs list but I couldn't post a photo. Please delete this thread if desired John.

Self confessed Wingnut.

Thanks Waiter- that looks great! If the elbow eyeballs are 180 bucks, I may go for the more reasonable ones..and mount them similar to the way you show. I need a vent that can be completely closed off as well,[my wif gets cold easily] so they are probably going to be expensive. =[

I like the fiberglass fairing look, like you have done.

I would just change it a little bit as I show below.

Thanks Pal..BTW, I really like your website.

post-4661-141090159145_thumb.jpg

Self confessed Wingnut.

Edge:

I have two of those puppies I bought them at a garage sale. Yep they cost me a couple of bucks. I dont have any Idea where to get them except maybe a Airplane junk yard might carry a few. I will keep my eyes open for some for you. I see them on eby once in a while. STeve

Steve Harmon

Lovin Life in Idaho

Cozy IV Plans #1466 N232CZ

http://websites.expercraft.com/bigsteve/

Working on Chapter 19,21

Found out these are no longer made.

I guess I will be making an elbow receiver out of glass to mate to a screw-in eyeball vent, if I want one.

Case closed. Dano. Cue the hula five oh jungle beat theme.

Self confessed Wingnut.

I guess you found the picture is of James Redmond's Berkut?

Here (and below) is a slightly cheaper source: http://www.vansaircraft.com/cgi-bin/catalog.cgi?ident=1200880926-482-471&browse=heatvent&product=sv-6

Here is a list of salvage yards:

http://www.mail-archive.com/coupers@topica.com/msg14149.html

Vent

Large Aluminum Eyeball

Machined aluminum

Less leakage

Direct replacement for plastic vents supplied with Van's Kits.

More expensive, but worth it!

Available in black or clear (aluminum)

Ordering Information

BLACK Aluminum Vent

Part Number = VENT SV-6 BLACK

Price = $145.00

Quantity

CLEAR Aluminum Vent

Part Number = VENT SV-6 CLEAR

Price = $145.00

Quantity

Unfortunately those are not the same. No "elbow". Look closely at James' photo. Spruce carries these regular ones + a little variety as well. Thanks Though.=]

Self confessed Wingnut.

• 3 months later...

Ok, so I looked at my Cozy today ... the position in the strake would blow into my ear, that would irritate very quickly ... in the front in the instrument panel works just fine for me ... and mine may just be too large :). There is no way I take off with these vents open ... my headset could blow off :)

I live in my own little world! but its OK, they know me here!

Chris Van Hoof, Johannesburg, South Africa operate from FASY (Baragwanath)

Cozy Mk IV, ZU-CZZ, IO-360 (200hp) 70x80 prop

Although I haven't looked yet but there has to be a million of those closeable overhead vents the airlines use. Seem just right for our application.

....... do you think they would miss them?

T Mann - Loooong-EZ/20B Infinity R/G Chpts 18

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

We add rocket's to everything!

4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 14, 19, 20 Done

....... do you think they would miss them?

Anyone got a cordless Fein? :bad:

I've seen aluminum ones on older planes.

By the way, what's with all the commercial planes sitting in Mojave? This a mothball site or junk yard?

If Len is still lurking about here- maybe he could run across the runway and pluck a few out! Need a big ladder though.

That is one bizarre sight seeing all those big jets just wasting in the desert sun. Do they ever forsee flying any of them again?

Make a heck of a paintball course.=]

Self confessed Wingnut.