Modification of Cozy with 3LS

gontek

Dont get me wrong- I am with you on the 3 lifting surface interest.:)

I have a bunch of drawings and a bunch of time in research during the last year. Its for a 6 place though, powered by a Walter turboprop. Semi-reclining seating like the Cozy. Etc Etc. I have investors/funding...I just am not talking about it.

Anyway, plug on my friend, plug on. Youre headed in a bit different, yet similar direction :D

Self confessed Wingnut.

Now think about it...wouldn't you rather LIVE your life, rather than watch someone else's, on Reality T.V.?

Get up off that couch!!! =)

Progress; Fuselage on all three, with outside and inside nearly complete. 8 inch extended nose. FHC done. Canard finished. ERacer wings done with blended winglets. IO540 starting rebuild. Mounting Spar. Starting strake ribs.

The cog belts are just as bad, as its very easy to get slightly our of "perfect" and the belts start loosing teeth.

Belts seem to work for a short span, like psru type application, but not for remote props on a lightweight, fast, composite aircraft. ...

Not necessarily. Speaking as a motorcyclist, some hardley ridensom models use belts. Twin cylinder, plenty of vibes, 100k miles isn't unheard of. In fairness though, they aren't run at WOT 100% of the time. (though with the current 75MPH speed limits, maybe they are :rolleyes: )

I think Buell runs (or ran) a belt too, Kawasaki on a model or two, am sure there's others.

Road debris (rocks), and mis-alignment are their downfall.

Rick

Rick Hall; MK-IV plans #1477; cozy.zggtr.org

Build status: 1-7, bits of 8-9, 10, 14 done! Working on engine/prop/avionics.

The belts that power the roots superchargers that sit atop modern top fuel dragsters carry over 150hp of power to the blower pulleys without any problem at all. Motorcycle drive belts have to hold about 75hp for thousands of miles..

Other belts used in other purposes are capable of hoding many hundreds of hp, however, you have to start factoring in the losses through the belt because of the stiffness of a belt designed to reliably hold such high HP.

Haven't really seen it in action other than the Voyager either. Hey that's a Rutan canard!

Once again I was unclear. The voyager had a propulsion configuration using two differently sized engines. One for economy cruise and the other to assist with takeoff and heavy fuel load flight segment.

I am guessing here, but I think probably the IOL-200 drove the rear prop (nearly) the entire time, the 0-240 in the front was eventually shut down, and the front prop was feathered. No belts were involved in the propulsion system that I know of. I suppose there could have been a shaft but not likely, since it would have had to severly interfere with the limited cockpit space.

So in insinuating some similarity between that and my crazy idea, I am only referring to the use of one or two engines in the various flight segments, not the use of belts or pulleys.

Hey, you are gonna take a lot of flak here, get used to it. Thats the way it works sometimes. You throw out the idea, and if you're lucky, you'll have some people with experience wack your idea to pieces. Don't feel bad, go back to the drawing board, fix the problems that have been identified, then throw the next iteration out on the table.

You're will not see happy encouragement here when dreaming up new airplane designs. BUT.... you sure seem to get a lot of replies to your posts, which PROVES that people are interested, in some way or another.

I and many here have engineering or technical backgrounds. Some of our projects at work is an exercise of eliminating all the wrong aspects to end up with something that has a chance of actually working.

As I say to myself at work... if it doesn't work on paper, it most likely won't work.

Andrew Anunson

I work underground and I play in the sky... no problem

Isn't there a cozy flying with twin motorcycle engines that is belt driven? I thought it was built in south america.

Not motorcycle engines - 4 cyl. Suzuki's from a compact car. See:

http://www.infortel.com/cozy/

According to this, DreamWings went under in 2001.

http://www.ionaircraft.com/

I ran across this in Jane's the other day. Those investors who lost their dream$ in Dreamwings took matters into their own hands.

They removed the foreplane and beefed up the empennage. I wish them well, it looks like they are putting together a great LSA.

On the cutting edge -outside -the box , check this out.

http://www.amvaircraft.com/index.html

I (thought I) had an idea like this but power a horizantal ducted fan with a jet - almost what they are doing here. My concept was to use a small jet engine to power the fan, push them up into the Flight levels and close the ducts to make it a VTOL BWB VLJ. Cost goes up at least a hundred grand with the turbine though - and that 's just a prototype.

anyhow, this is pretty sweet.