Can a Cozy be "safely" ditched at sea?

robinson217

G'Day,

If required to ditch an aircraft, do attempt to assertain the direction of the lines of swell. The aircraft should attempt to land along the line of the swell as crossing the swell, or on an angle to it, will create a situation where the aircraft may fail structurally. If at all possible (difficult without any thrust) attempt to touch down on the crest of the swell as the aircraft will settle on the back of the swell.

As outlined in the P3C Orion Flight Manual (or words to that effect).

Just my 2 bob's worth.

Bruce.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you can get a hold of the January 2000 issue of EAA'S monthly membership magazine (Sport Aviation), you will find Dave Lind's article entitled: "Flying to Hawaii". Dave flew his Long EZ from Carlsbad, California to Kona, Hawaii and back. It's an excellent article.

My aspiration is also to circumnavigate the globe in my King Racer. Over the years I have read about many different composite canard type aircraft ditching, including the highly preventable, John Denver, tragedy. An example where a pilot must maintain control of the aircraft first (priority) and everything else becomes second priority. Based on all the ditchings I have read, John would have probably survived and would have drifted, if he maintained a controlled ditching. I've read about a few canards that submerged to the top longerons, but they never went to the bottom even with the front nose ripped off (foam cone and nose wheel) after the nose wheel came into contact with the water. The pilot had some lacerations to his legs. He was picked up by some boats. I read about a Velocity, which was incorrectly loaded with an extra fuel tank (if I recall correctly) going into a flat spin off the coast of Florida. The plane, amazingly, wasn't damaged when it ended up in the drink, and drifted to shore.

If you're looking for a second plane, I plan to make the trip, in possibly 5 years (realistically 8 yrs - when I retire at 55). I live in B.C., Canada and plan to fly up through Alaska and the Bering Strait. I was scouting out a route this summer in my Cessna 150. I made a solo flight to the Arctic Ocean (3600 miles, 27 airports and 50 hrs of flying). I have been in contact with some Russian pilots, also, about fuel, etc. http://www.reaa.ru/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=english_talk . I also have a pilot friend in Fairbanks Alaska who I have been in contact with, in regards to my plans.

Tom

My 2 cents...seems you might need a different aircraft for your mission.

I would suggest a Defiant...two engines, designed for redundant flight and long trips...carries 4 plus lots of baggage.

Then you don't worry about single engine failure and having to ditch the aircraft, you have an engine failure...just keep flying to the closest airport.

Another good reference is Dick Rutan's and Mike Melvill's around the world in 80 nights in two Long-EZs: http://www.dickrutan.com/page4.html . It goes without saying, they are way out of my league, and I wouldn't attempt the same route, but I admire their courage/skill etc ... If you are attempting the same/similar route (especially in single engine aircraft over open ocean), a second plane (or more) would add some safety in numbers. If the worst case scenario occurred and you ditched, contacting/directing shipping traffic, identifying last known location etc ... could be dealt with by the other aircraft(s) expeditiously.

Good Luck,

Tom