Can a Cozy be "safely" ditched at sea?

robinson217

Marc had an interesting post in the CA list that relates to this.

www.findmespot.com

This subject of being forced down has had me thinking. There are areas in my home state of Nebraska that are sparcely populated and out of cell phone range. After a night flight a couple weeks ago, with local temperatures below zero, it seemed obvious that a forced landing under these conditions would not be enjoyable. As Steve Fossett experienced, the likelyhood of going down without a chance of being found is more likely an occurance we would experience during an afternoon VFR flight vs. an ocean crossing.

To this end, I bought the GPS beacon mentioned above for my regular flight (flight plan or otherwise.) In testing it the last couple of flights I have made, it is very accurate. It will post my position at 10 minute intervals.

I think it might very well be the best investment I have made this year.

T Mann - Loooong-EZ/20B Infinity R/G Chpts 18

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

We add rocket's to everything!

4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 14, 19, 20 Done

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To this end, I bought the GPS beacon mentioned above for my regular flight (flight plan or otherwise.) In testing it the last couple of flights I have made, it is very accurate. It will post my position at 10 minute intervals.

I think it might very well be the best investment I have made this year.

Why the findmespot instead of an AF/ELT or an AP/ELT ? A_/ELT's are specifically designed to be used in aircraft, and can be triggered automatically in the event of a high G-Force impact.

I would use a findmespot but, it would need to be booted up, acquire and track satellites, and then see the sky to transmit its position information to the satellite. In the (god forbid) event of an incident where you were knocked out by the impact of an aircraft falling out of the sky, something like this would be of little to no use.

Hey.. if Les Stroud (Survivorman) has one.. you can be DAMN sure that I will be getting one of these for my collection of camping gear, but I'd be wary of using it in my aircraft.

Why the findmespot instead of an AF/ELT or an AP/ELT ?

Not instead of ....... in addition to.

A_/ELT's are specifically designed to be used in aircraft, and can be triggered automatically in the event of a high G-Force impact.

So if that was a satisfactory system, why can't they find Steve Fossett?

I would use a findmespot but, it would need to be booted up, acquire and track satellites, and then see the sky to transmit its position information to the satellite. In the (god forbid) event of an incident where you were knocked out by the impact of an aircraft falling out of the sky, something like this would be of little to no use.

Not so. In our composite aircraft. it can sit inside the strake. When I'm flying a rent-a-spam-can, I just turn it on an leave it on the dash. It transmits my location every 10 minutes, so even if I ended up as a smoking hole in the ground, the search area would start at the last plotted point and then start with a ten minute radius from there. Right?

Hey.. if Les Stroud (Survivorman) has one.. you can be DAMN sure that I will be getting one of these for my collection of camping gear, but I'd be wary of using it in my aircraft.

Ha, ha, haaaaaaaa ............ yeah, I'm sure there's a chance that they may lose him on one of these shows. I'd be willing to bet he has one along with a sat phone.

Like I said, I tried it and it works.

Here is my location at 10:00 AM today.

Latitude: 41.2411

Longitude: -96.5953

Nearest Town from unit Location: Unknown

Distance to the nearest town: Unknown

Time in GMT the message was sent: 01/27/2008 16:08:22

See Map

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

• 4 weeks later...

Just a short round of applause for a positive attitude. If you focus on your dream, the facts don't count. Perhaps instead of focusing on the bad, you might better focus on the steps and processes necessary for the unfortunate to not happen to you. Just thinking out loud, if you build a Cozy with carbon fiber, make small mods to have aerocad fuel capacity( 63 gal), stick a DeltaHawk 160 on the back, it appears that you could have the capacity(if DeltaHawk's numbers on their website are accurate) to make it from San Fran to Hilo (2010 nm) with 10% reserve, and depending on the weight savings from carbon fiber, at somewhere between 130-160 knots; 13-16 hours. Between the initial weight difference between DeltaHawk's Velocity (1700 lbs.) and the base cozy (1300 lbs.) to a carbon fiber cozy(perhaps 1150 lbs.), you might even have acceptable margins of safety. A long, long time over a trackless vastness might be your goal, but it is certainly an attainable dream.

I am probably late to this thread, and I am only a pilot in my mind's eye but I will soon be a builder. Here is my advice for what it is worth.

Don't ditch your plane. When engines fail there is always a reason. Do whatever you can to make sure the engine is in tip top shape and the engine should run fine. Wait for a clear day with calm seas. If you are a spiritual man then say a prayer before you take off. Your odds are very good for making the trip without a problem.

However, here is my suggestion in case you do have to ditch. Carry some sort of a helmet with you. A bicycle helmet is probably you best bet, but consider the kind with a chin bar. If you ditch your plane you will probably bang your head on something. Your chance of survival probably comes down to your actions in the 15 or 30 seconds following impact with the water. You won’t be able to respond very well if you are knocked unconscious or are stunned from a head impact. The rest comes down to staying warm in the water and getting a rescue effort happening hopefully prior to impact.

Crazy Canuck

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Cozy MKIV #MK1536

Remember open water temps in latitudes above 30 something are in the 55F degree range. I usually warned any passengers aboard my boat that if they fell overboard it would take me a long time to drop and stow three sails, put on a pot of tea, feed the cats, start the diesel and turn 12 tons around, that is why we have a flag bouy, its done as a courtesy to mark the spot where the body is so that they do not foul somebody elses prop when they discover them.

In 55 deg water you will begin to suffer from hypothermia within 15 min, more likely in 30 min. I doubt if you ditch you will be recovered in 15-30 min. so it would be best to prepare accordingly, listen to your mother, abstinance is the best choice :ROTFLMAO:

...Chrissi

CG Products

www.CozyGirrrl.com

Cozy Mk-IV RG 13B Turbo

I think that was "Abstinence makes the heart grow fonder" or something like that...:eek:

Really- every time I see this thread come up- it just has such an odd premise in the title. I guess I just think a better slant would be- How do I keep from ditching a Cozy at sea?

Self confessed Wingnut.

Now think about it...wouldn't you rather LIVE your life, rather than watch someone else's, on Reality T.V.?

Get up off that couch!!! =)

Progress; Fuselage on all three, with outside and inside nearly complete. 8 inch extended nose. FHC done. Canard finished. ERacer wings done with blended winglets. IO540 starting rebuild. Mounting Spar. Starting strake ribs.

I think that was "Abstinence makes the heart grow fonder" or something like that...:eek:

Really- every time I see this thread come up- it just has such an odd premise in the title. I guess I just think a better slant would be- How do I keep from ditching a Cozy at sea?

.....answer: don't fly over water you can't see over.

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

Chrissi- just cuz this thread has been hijacked by the Marx brothers collective- [really the honda remark was outrageously similar to Harpo's horn toot]- doesn't mean there isn't a little more gas in this thread, before it's left like a banana peel...

Bada boom..:brocolli:

Self confessed Wingnut.

Now think about it...wouldn't you rather LIVE your life, rather than watch someone else's, on Reality T.V.?

Progress; Fuselage on all three, with outside and inside nearly complete. 8 inch extended nose. FHC done. Canard finished. ERacer wings done with blended winglets. IO540 starting rebuild. Mounting Spar. Starting strake ribs.

Where can you get some absinthe? I've been wanting to try some.

Until recently the green lady was not available in this country, there is now an importer that imports some weaker high priced stuff.

I have made it and it takes a long time... months, it came out too strong and was rather vile, it should not be.

Google for it. Oh yah-aileron-

...Chrissi

CG Products

www.CozyGirrrl.com

Cozy Mk-IV RG 13B Turbo

Until recently the green lady was not available in this country, there is now an importer that imports some weaker high priced stuff.

I have made it and it takes a long time... months, it came out too strong and was rather vile, it should not be.

Google for it. Oh yah-aileron-

...Chrissi

Just remember to keep 8 inches bottle to throttle.

You wouldn't want that bottle getting in the way.

I have some stuff from the Czech republic that is 100mg/l Thujone content. Thats the strongest made. It's called "Absinthe, King of Spirits Gold". Some moron importer says they can get it shipped to you here at near $200/ bottle, but don't ever expect to see it if you order it. Customs will snatch it.

I nearly ran afoul of the CBP bringing it into the country, but you are more than welcome to a shot. Please be sure to properly anise it, it is HORRIBLY bitter. But trust me. it (one shot) WILL F*CK YOU UP. :envy:

Aiman, Sounds like that would a good thing to have in the liferaft after youve been drifting endlessly with no one in sight for days. You could offer it to the sharks.:rolleyes:

And also, from what you say about that brew...I definitely recommend abstinence!

Self confessed Wingnut.

G'day

I have some stuff from the Czech republic that is 100mg/l Thujone content. Thats the strongest made. It's called "Absinthe, King of Spirits Gold". Some moron importer says they can get it shipped to you here at near $200/ bottle, but don't ever expect to see it if you order it. Customs will snatch it.

I nearly ran afoul of the CBP bringing it into the country, but you are more than welcome to a shot. Please be sure to properly anise it, it is HORRIBLY bitter. But trust me. it (one shot) WILL F*CK YOU UP. :envy:

A Kiwi friend of mine had a similar problem when he tried to bring in a blow-up sheep. He explained he was from New Zealand and it was to help him with home sickness.

Jeff

G'day

A Kiwi friend of mine had a similar problem when he tried to bring in a blow-up sheep. He explained he was from New Zealand and it was to help him with home sickness.

Jeff

I think I saw him one year at the Castro District Halloween street party in San Francisco, combat boots, cute short kilt and a wife beater t-shirt, the t-shirt had "I F--- Sheep" on the back of it, when he turned around he had an inflatable sheep strapped to the front of him. He did not appear too homesick at the time :ROTFLMAO:

oh yeah -aileron- (got to keep it on an airplane subject)

...Chrissi

CG Products

www.CozyGirrrl.com

Cozy Mk-IV RG 13B Turbo

My wife has vacationed in New Zealand and says they seemed like such nice NORMAL folks...

NOW I think the thread has wobbled off the deep end....

Gas references are somewhat canard related, but sheep fondling, Ewe!

A baaaaaaahd turn of events

You should feel very sheepish about now, Jtest.

Self confessed Wingnut.

oh dear. . .

Aiman, that was not deer, that was a sheep! :)

Okay Spod, that was waaay too quick of a response with that. "He says wearing a sheepish grin". :D

Living in Australia, I now have a new understanding of Kiwis. (no offense to our New Zealand members) I don't think anyone back home fully understands how freaking funny that is. I don't know which group of people Austrlians pick on more: people from Tasmania or New Zealand.

Drew Chaplin (aka the Foam Whisperer)

---

www.Cozy1200.com - I'm a builder now! :cool:

---

Brace for impact...