Shop is complete...time to start pumping!!!

killerb1971

After 2 months of prep, I now have my 4' X 12' bench, cloth cabinet w/fold out table, epoxy "hot box", Sticky Stuff adjustable pump, Wiss scisors, cutting wheel, hot wire saw, and most other things needed. I do want to get a Fein tool as soon as possible. I am orderig my chapter 4-7 kits through AC Spruce tomorrow. I do need to drive to AC spruce east (ony 2.5 hr drive) to pick up my MGS slow hardener. I found out that it cant be shipped due to the DOT hazardous materials laws. It would have to be shipped truck freight at a cost of over $175 for shipping 2 quarts!!! OUCH! I'm glad I live close enough to AC spruce east. My goal is to start pumping epoxy by the end of this month, and have chapter 7 finished by the end of the year. I am very excited to start building. My wife is getting annoyed with my talking about it 24/7. My digital camera is going to get a workout, as I will be taking thousands of pictures and keeping detailed notes. I want to put a web page together, but don't know ANYTHING about how to do it. Any advice??? I will be posting regulary when I begin construction. As always, any advice and tips are welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Rob Wiehl

COZY MKIV #1521

Sounds great Rob!

Since you have the building season just starting that means you have a whole year of building ahead of you, maybe you can get the tub on its gear by next winter? :D

Not an exageration, I think John Slade did it in 9 months?

Regards, Chrissi

CG Products

www.CozyGirrrl.com

Cozy Mk-IV RG 13B Turbo

You asked for advice...

Advice one: Forget the webpage. Build instead. Theres a lot of guys with embarrassing webpages.

Why?......because they didn't do squat. They got all excited about "building the airplane" and equated that hand in hand with the producing the "webpage"...and didn't remember to build something physical out in the garage. They finished their bulkheads and got the sides on the "tub" and.....listen to their wife moan about "that thing out in the garage that takes up my parking space, for the last 5 years".

So, keep your digital photographs and after a year or two, worry about a webpage when you can actually feel like you are a builder. Most everybody dies at chapter 10 or 11...so if you get past there, you can crow about something.[the published rate is 80% don't finish and fly**]

Advice two: Find somebodies project that they abandoned at the above sticking point and get it from them..it will cost you no more than what the parts cost..probably much less....you will save a ton of time...and be ahead a year to two years in the construction.

Advice three: Build the airplane...build the airplane....build the.....

**thats why around here it pays to give high regard to and listen to the fellows who actually have built and are FLYING their airplanes...everybody else is somewhere down the ladder.

My .06 cents.=]

Self confessed Wingnut.

Now think about it...wouldn't you rather LIVE your life, rather than watch someone else's, on Reality T.V.?

Get up off that couch!!! =)

Progress; Fuselage on all three, with outside and inside nearly complete. 8 inch extended nose. FHC done. Canard finished. ERacer wings done with blended winglets. IO540 starting rebuild. Mounting Spar. Starting strake ribs.

To add to Edge's sage advice:

Number four: no matter how much of a public service you think you are doing, do not start any kind of an airplane parts business, it will kill all of your progress and you won't have a thing to put on your web site :o

...Chrissi

CG Products

www.CozyGirrrl.com

Cozy Mk-IV RG 13B Turbo

To add to Edge's sage advice:

Number four: no matter how much of a public service you think you are doing, do not start any kind of an airplane parts business, it will kill all of your progress and you won't have a thing to put on your web site :o

...Chrissi

:ROTFLMAO: :ROTFLMAO: :ROTFLMAO: :ROTFLMAO:

Hey, you two brought that one on yourselves!!!!!!

.....and we are forever greatful!

Kraig

Advice one: Forget the webpage.

I have to agree with this. Keeping a web page up to date can be VERY time consuming. I have worked out in the shop for a few hours, come in around 11pm and then played on my website until 1am. It's easy to spend way too much time on it. I can't come straight in and go to bed, so it does help at times to relax.

I'm learning that uploading just a few pics and a few words on each works best for me. I learned that from Rick Maddy.

If you must insist on creating one, go with something off the shelf. Something like blogger.com That way you can concentrate on the content not the site. I enjoy computer programming so I'm using geeklog software hosted on a private server. I have to keep the software uptodate and even modified it to suit my needs. It does take a lot of time, although I do not to use it as an excuse for not working on the plane.

Hey, you two brought that one on yourselves!!!!!!

.....and we are forever greatful!

WARNING: OFF TOPIC

Chrissi, I keep forgetting to let you know that you and Randy was mentioned on the "Uncontrolled Airspace" podcast a couple months ago. They spoke very highly of both of you.

"Uncontrolled Airspace" is a weekly podcast with three pilots that discussed the happenings in the industry. Very educational and entertaining. It's one of my favorite podcasts.

http://www.uncontrolledairspace.com/shownotes/045/

Drew Chaplin (aka the Foam Whisperer)

---

www.Cozy1200.com - I'm a builder now! :cool:

---

Brace for impact...

Kraig:

Welcome to the addiction. I will have to respectfully for the first time disagree with mr. Edge 513 I have a web site not a real official web site but a place on the web that I can share my pictures with other builders and family far away. Most of which think I am crazy but love to look at the pictures. Here is a web site. The same one I use for my plane log. http://www.expercraft.com/ Even a non computer guy like myself figured out how to work it. I have pictures to share and yes I find time to work on the plane. Infact I am catching people that are almost 2 years ahead of me. But Edge is right I wish I would have bought a project I would be ahead of him if I would have. Much cheaper and saves lots of time. Remember that building is life then you fly and have fun. STeve

Steve Harmon

Lovin Life in Idaho

Cozy IV Plans #1466 N232CZ

http://websites.expercraft.com/bigsteve/

Working on Chapter 19,21

You asked for advice...

Advice one: Forget the webpage. Build instead. Theres a lot of guys with embarrassing webpages.

Wow, I hope mine is not embarrassing. However I do understand that updating the web page can be time consuming. I prefer to work on the plane.

Still I use a blogger account that make updating the page quick. My primary purpose is to keep my brother and a few other interested parties up to date, but hopefully a side effect will be to warn others not to screw up like me.

I have to agree that a web site can take a lot of time. What I do is just write in a word processor, add my pictures and then crank out a PDF file which I can just upload and link in. That way I don't spend a lot of time messing around with HTML, although I gather that no one does much of this by hand anymore and just uses an editor which I guess is the same.

I let my pictrues pile up for a while, then write when I'm travelling or somesuch so that it's not "in competition" with build time. The pictures make for a pretty good memory jog as long as I haven't left it too long.

Best advice is just to build and not to put too much of your plane building efforts into things that don't make plane bits.

Craig K.

Cozy IV #1457

building chapter seven!

http://www.maddyhome.com/canardpages/pages/chasingmars/index.html

"Building" a web site is kind of like "Building" an airplane, it can be fun, educational, and suck up all your free time.

One of the big advantages I like about having my own web site (URL). I have an e-mail address that will follow me as long as I pay the web hosting. regardless of who my ISP (Internet Service Provider) is.

The cost of web hosting has come down over the years. I think my last contract with ACEHOST was a three year period and was about $220. This also included renewal of the URL for the same time period.

NOTE: The money I earn from Google Ads and Affiliate program from ACEHOST pays for my site. I get about $200 / year from these ads.

On my original site, I wrote everything in HTML. On the new site, I use CSS ( Cascading Style Sheets), lot faster and easier

(Hey, back in my VAX days, I wrote everything in "Runoff".

For those who don't know, CSS is a form of HTML, but is condensed and a lot less HTML stuff to insert.

It takes about 5 minutes to write up the "6 JAN" entry (no photos)

The "1 JAN" entry took maybe 20 minutes.

I send all the photos I'm going to use to a program called "Advanced JPG Compressor" , This program compresses the photos down to a smaller size and resolution that are acceptable for the Internet AND it also produces a "thumbnail" image that I also use.

I write the text using NOTEPAD,

I then use the web sites "Control Panel" and "File Manage" to upload the photos and text to the web site.

If your interested in doing this, Find a "Dummies" book that instructs HTML, Make sure it includes "Style Sheets"

Goto www.register.com and find a URL that you like Sorry, www.iflyez.com is already taken :-). DON'T buy the URL from register.com.

Find a cheap Web Host (Please follow the link on my web site for a good deal with ACEHOST) If possible, pay the longest term possible (3 years) to get the best pricing. ACEHOST is running a deal now that includes your URL registration, VERY GOOD PRICE.

As you brows the Internet and you run across a web site style that catches your eye, do a "right Click" and look at the source file. you can learn a lot on how they do these neat trick.

Good Luck

Waiter

F16 performance on a Piper Cub budget

LongEZ, 160hp, MT CS Prop, Downdraft cooling, Full retract

visit: www.iflyez.com

NOTE: The money I earn from Google Ads and Affiliate program from ACEHOST pays for my site. I get about $200 / year from these ads.

I'm impressed, I think I earned $7.00 last year from my adds. :) I finally got tired of it and stopped using them. I found it interesting that Google uses these search your site. Googles web crawlers were consistently trying to visit the admin pages on my site. After I removed the adds, they stopped on these pages.

Drew Chaplin (aka the Foam Whisperer)

---

www.Cozy1200.com - I'm a builder now! :cool:

---

Brace for impact...

We opted to do the ads on our web pages for free so that we could use only the ads and links we wanted to. I really did not think there would be anyone that would pay for the privledge anyway, thats a pretty good deal Waiter.

...Chrissi

CG Products

www.CozyGirrrl.com

Cozy Mk-IV RG 13B Turbo

I don't know what possessed the girrrlz to record-skip into the canard products scene...but everybody that is building a canard airplane needs to support their decision and buy from them. They have singlehandedly saved our communities bacon. [read; big daddy Spruce didn't fill the needed void-just bought up Brocks old inventory- and basically said,"when its gone, its gone"] So everybody..frequent the girrrls online establishment and buy your hardware from them when they offer that part-instead of AS&S, etc. Lets speak our appreciation with our wallets.:D:):D

• Like 1

Self confessed Wingnut.

Now think about it...wouldn't you rather LIVE your life, rather than watch someone else's, on Reality T.V.?

Progress; Fuselage on all three, with outside and inside nearly complete. 8 inch extended nose. FHC done. Canard finished. ERacer wings done with blended winglets. IO540 starting rebuild. Mounting Spar. Starting strake ribs.

OK!!!...I have just placed my order with AC Spruce for chapter 4 and 5. There is a 2wk back log on the wood, but the kits are much cheaper than Wicks. I know wicks has a much better rep for customer service, but at $100 extra or more per kit, I cant justify it. My wife and I will be running to AC Spruce East to pick up the MGS slow hardener this week. I will not give up on this project. I have a dream of flying it to Oshkosh with my wife when it is built. I have dedicated my life to achieving that dream. By the way...it is sad for me to say, but I have never been to Oshkosh : (. Anyways, I will be ordering other kits as the next months go by. I am ready to get pumping!! As usual I appreciate everyones help, advice, and encouragement. I thank everyone. I'll be posting regularly as things progress.

Rob Wiehl

COZY MKIV #1521

So everybody..frequent the girrrls online establishment and buy your hardware from them when they offer that part-instead of AS&S, etc. Lets speak our appreciation with our wallets.:D:):D

Don't just buy their stuff because they decided to start making and selling the parts. Buy their stuff because the parts they make are of the finest quality, perfectly machined, and just plain beautiful. All that and affordable as well. I am sure they are not getting filthy rich on this venture. Though I would be the first to applaud them if they did.

I have said it before, if they make the part I need to finish my plane, I will buy it from them. Period. I am proud to say I have Girrrl parts in my plane!!!

Kraig

I agree Kraig-well said. Their parts are much better than Brocks used to be. I know Nat gave all the dimensions for most metal parts in the plans, but buying some nicely made parts is worth the savings of time, in my mind- and a guy doesn't end of with Frankenstein looking assemblies getting into his airplane because he can't bear to throw them away..

Self confessed Wingnut.

After 2 months of prep, I now have my 4' X 12' bench, cloth cabinet w/fold out table, epoxy "hot box", Sticky Stuff adjustable pump, Wiss scisors, cutting wheel, hot wire saw, and most other things needed.

Get extra snips. One for the cutting table, two or more for doing layups. Don't buy the el-cheap ones (I did... once), they won't cut hot butter in the summer. If the handles aren't metal, make sure they won't soften if wiped with thinner (acetone/MEK), else get additional pairs.

Get several boxes of disposable gloves, as well as buying paper towels in bulk.

I do want to get a Fein tool as soon as possible.

So do I. I'm nearing the end of chapter 5, haven't missed it yet. :)

I found out that it cant be shipped due to the DOT hazardous materials laws. It would have to be shipped truck freight at a cost of over $175 for shipping 2 quarts!!!

BS.

My wife is getting annoyed with my talking about it 24/7.

Buy jewelry.

I want to put a web page together, but don't know ANYTHING about how to do it. Any advice???

Brush after every meal. Oh, wrong answer...

Post written progress reports here, a "Plane Day" if you will. Include an occasional photo so the masses know you're not just blowing smoke. When the stars are in alignment, a web page will make itself known.

Take a personal progress photo every few hours, or when you take the nitrile gloves off. But you'll be doing this. I find that my grey cells are revived when I look at a photo, then I can pen a few more words... err, drivel for my web pages.

The build is a little frustrating at first, but it gets more enjoyable as you progress. It is for me anyway :D

Rick

Rick Hall; MK-IV plans #1477; cozy.zggtr.org

Build status: 1-7, bits of 8-9, 10, 14 done! Working on engine/prop/avionics.

I will have the Fein by spring. I just can't squeeze it right now. Like most of us, I'm working on a rediculously tight budget. Sometimes I wonder what the heck made me think I could afford to build this, but like any dedicated builder/pilot........we tend to make things happen one way or another. I think the order of priority goes something like.......(1) airplane/flying, (2) food, (3) shelter, (4) clothing.....etc. : )

Rob Wiehl

COZY MKIV #1521

Speaking of budgeting, since our livlihood is dependant on builders spending descretionary income, to what extent do the projections of the economy effect your spending/building plans for the future?

Regards, Chrissi & Randi

CG Products

www.CozyGirrrl.com

Cozy Mk-IV RG 13B Turbo

much better rep for customer service, but at $100 extra or more per kit, I cant justify it

OMG!! At $636 the bulkhead chapter has Skyrocketed!!

I just received some MGS and hardener a couple weeks ago, from Aircraft Spruce. 1 gallon resin, 3 qt hardener... shipping only cost $14. (Using 335, 2 qts slow, 1 qt fast).

Andrew Anunson

I work underground and I play in the sky... no problem

....to what extent do the projections of the economy effect your spending/building plans for the future?

Nadda. I'm building a complete plane.

If I need more money, I'll go make it. :D

T Mann - Loooong-EZ/20B Infinity R/G Chpts 18

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

We add rocket's to everything!

4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 14, 19, 20 Done