Cockpit Ventilation

rviglierchio

Has anyone found a better version of the NACA scoop that mounts on the canopy frame for the Long EZ? Mine broke and the repair kit isn't working out. Would like to just cut it out and build in a new one with better construction, i.e. not cheap plastic and nylon.......

Has anyone tried the RV or Cozy style with round outlet?

Thanks and Happy New Year to all!

I didn't install one in the Canopy. Instead, I drilled a 3/4 hole in the leading edge of the strake right next to the fuselage, then made a small bulkhead that fit inside the strake and installed an eyeball vent in the bulkhead.

I found a couple photos on my web site:

Scroll down to 10 APR 2005, and look at the two photos on the right. The eyeball vent isn't installed in these photos, but you can see the small bulkhead is recessed in the strake a little.

You can also see the hole in the leading edge of the strake.

http://www.iflyez.com/LongEZ_Retrofit_APR_05.shtml

ALSO 18 DEC 2004

http://www.iflyez.com/LongEZ_Retrofit_DEC_04.shtml

Waiter

F16 performance on a Piper Cub budget

LongEZ, 160hp, MT CS Prop, Downdraft cooling, Full retract

visit: www.iflyez.com

Looks good Wait!!

One thing I see that I have a problem with (If I see it) is it appears as if you have a air temp probe in the opening. If this is true, there is a great possibility that your indicated temp will be inaccurate as these probes require flowing air. The air will flow properly with the vent open, however with it closed, the probe will be reading stagnant, heated or cooled by external forces (sun),somewhat compressed air.

I Canardly contain myself!

Rich :D

When it rains, I get an occational dribble that blows in.

As for the air temp sensor, I never noticed any problems with the sensor in this location, even when the vent is closed and the plane is parked on the ramp. (The sensor is located inside the air vent duct)

Waiter

When it rains, I get an occational dribble that blows in.

As for the air temp sensor, I never noticed any problems with the sensor in this location, even when the vent is closed and the plane is parked on the ramp. (The sensor is located inside the air vent duct)

Waiter

If my supposition is correct, you will not be able to determine any difference since you have nothing with which to compare it. Your TAS (calculated) may go up, however.

With the vent closed and the plane on the ramp, the system is in equalibrium and the temperature reading will be correct.

The concept, about which I posted was not my own idea but was in the installation documentation for some instrument I installed in my D-fly.

My comparison was; Vent closed - Vent open.

With the vent closed and cruising along at 120 kias at FL180, I read -45 DegF, when I open the vent I see (and fell) -45 Deg F, Accurate enough for any computations that I perform.

The sensor is about an inch from the opening. I guess theres enough turbulant air flopping around inside the small vent duct area that it gets exposed to OAT.

Waiter

With the vent closed and cruising along at 120 kias at FL180, I read -45 DegF, when I open the vent I see (and fell) -45 Deg F, Accurate enough for any computations that I perform.

The sensor is about an inch from the opening. I guess theres enough turbulant air flopping around inside the small vent duct area that it gets exposed to OAT.

Waiter

i'd buy that:o

Waiter

In both cases, you are probably measuring the stagnation temperature and not the static temperature ... that is why it doesn't change. Even when air is flowing through the vent, it still stagnates (comes to rest) on the surface of the probe and there is a small temperature increase when that happens. The temperature increase is not much more than 5 degrees even at our top speeds, so it is generally ignored.

Instead, I drilled a 3/4 hole in the leading edge of the strake right next to the fuselage, then made a small bulkhead that fit inside the strake and installed an eyeball vent in the bulkhead.

Waiter

Is there much noise associated with the location or style of this vent? I like this idea.

Let me try this again.....

Has anyone found a better version or model of the NACA scoop that mounts on the canopy frame for the Long EZ?

Would like to just cut it out and build in a new one with better construction, i.e. not cheap plastic and nylon.......

Has anyone tried the RV or Cozy style with round outlet?

Let me try again - I'm new to the forum and posted last night and don't see my post yet.

I put my vent in the same location as Waiter's. I used a slot instead of a hole for the air inlet. I'm really happy with the air flow. I'm not happy with the very loud noise when I close the vent. It whistles pretty obnoxiously. I haven't tried any fixes. Does anyone have an idea?

I used the RV NACA inlet on the left side for the passenger. I found it to be good quality and am happy with it, but have not flown with it yet.

If you havn't noticed yet, James Redmon used the RV inlet on his Berkut and documented the install on his web site. He recommended the inlet to me.

Dave Adams

Long EZ N83DT

Race 83

Thanks Dave.

I had forgotten about James' great site. I found that and more I needed. I'll try writing him to see how his vents are working long term. I still like the one on the canopy for a fresh breeze on the face in summer. I just wish somebody manufactured the premade vent in a sturdier material. In the cold at altitude with gloves on I just twisted my screw in half..... the repair kit doesn't work at all. :(