N200LZ: Chapter 13

TMann

Good fortune has smiled on my project today. Back when I was assembling my fuselage sides to my bulkheads, I routed a channel in my side foam to allow me to bury my rudder conduit. I exited the sidwall inside at about F32 and about 8.5 inches off the floor leaving an extra 15 inches of conduit for the final height adjustment and then trim for length.

I received my adjustable rudder pedals from Dale Martin today (NiceEZ) and measured them out to see how close I came. My waterline measurement was within .25 inches of what it needs to be at the connect point on the pedals. This is working out near perfect.

For you Open-EZ & Long-EZ builders out there, you really need to check these out. In order to adjust these for a different size pilot you just unbolt them from the floor, slide them forward or back to the desired position and bolt them back down. You don't have any adjustments to the cable itself. None! Nada! Zip!

The cable threads through a special 'S' shaped tube and is anchored further ahead in the nose. Very nice job!

T Mann - Loooong-EZ/20B Infinity R/G Chpts 18

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

We add rocket's to everything!

4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 14, 19, 20 Done

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a pic off of that site :

Posted Image

I'll have more once I download pics from my camera. The 'S' tube allows you to thread the cable through the top and exit going forward (at the bottom) towards it's anchor point. To adjust the pedal you undo a couple bolts, slide it forward or back and bolt it back down. No adjustment of the cable is required at all. The design is a bit pricey but it is also a good value. The workmanship and ingenuity are a real bargain. It is a copyrighted design (and rightly so.)

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

Here's a pic off of that site :

Posted Image

I'll have more once I download pics from my camera. The 'S' tube allows you to thread the cable through the top and exit going forward (at the bottom) towards it's anchor point. To adjust the pedal you undo a couple bolts, slide it forward or back and bolt it back down. No adjustment of the cable is required at all. The design is a bit pricey but it is also a good value. The workmanship and ingenuity are a real bargain. It is a copyrighted design (and rightly so.)

these are nice units but if you are on a bugget they should be placed almost last on the list of options as the owner is almost always the pilot and very seldom does he let the coplilot land the bird. maybe in a side by side model but never in a tandem. even if you fly someone elses bird you can adapt to the brake/rudder pedal position for a couple of landings. the rudders are almost never used during flight, some times during takeoff and some of the landings

Evolultion Eze RG -a two place side by side-200 Knots on 200 HP. A&P / pilot for over 30 years

Yeah, likely that is true but retro fitting costs a lot more. If you ever decide to sell your plane it's easy to adjust at that time. It's an option and as such is good to know about early in the build.

i.e. think ahead.

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

• 1 year later...

Well, I made the transition from a CAD drawing to a 3D preliminary cutout of my nose section. I made templates of the overhead view and side view and hotwired it out of a block of foam.

The next step will be to slice it into 4 inc slices and cut out the contours. I'll glue it back together and sand it to the final shape before glassing the outside. (I'll post some pictures once I download them from my camera.)

I am REALLY looking forward to getting past the 'Flintstone' stage of the fuselage.

In the meantime, I'm cutting all of my hardpoints for NG30 out of phenolic and getting those ready to flox into place.

We're moving right along now!

I am grateful to have the CAD software available. It already helped me avoid a couple of mistakes prior to cutting foam.:)

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

I was able to get my nose carved out last night. I'm working on my 'Hotwire Cheese Slicer' (only $19.95 but you have to call now!) which will allow me to slice the outside layer to a 1 inch thickness prior to glassing the exterior. I'll leave the internal waste in place to help maintain the shape while the outside cures.

I'm really enjoying this chapter!

post-2251-141090165867_thumb.jpg

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

I istalled my hardpoints in my NG30s. I used Phenolic (1/4 inch) for these. I floxed them int place. I'll wait until Monday to apply my glass.

I also made my hotwire cheese slicer. It worked GREAT!

I have the entire nose hollowed out to a 1 inch thickness. As I reassemble the nose for glassing, I'll also assemble the inner core so that it can serve as a support until the shell cures.

The last picture shows FS 22 through FS 0.0 stacked and awaiting assembly.

Pretty decent progress so far this year.

post-2251-14109016587_thumb.jpg

post-2251-141090165873_thumb.jpg

post-2251-141090165875_thumb.jpg

post-2251-141090165878_thumb.jpg

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

Glad you posted some more pics, Tmann. Post #9 was looking like Beldar the Conehead was your inspiration...:D

Self confessed Wingnut.

Now think about it...wouldn't you rather LIVE your life, rather than watch someone else's, on Reality T.V.?

Get up off that couch!!! =)

Progress; Fuselage on all three, with outside and inside nearly complete. 8 inch extended nose. FHC done. Canard finished. ERacer wings done with blended winglets. IO540 starting rebuild. Mounting Spar. Starting strake ribs.

I was able to get my nose carved out last night. I'm working on my 'Hotwire Cheese Slicer' (only $19.95 but you have to call now!) which will allow me to slice the outside layer to a 1 inch thickness prior to glassing the exterior. I'll leave the internal waste in place to help maintain the shape while the outside cures.

I'm really enjoying this chapter!

Dude looks very nice. Oh, does the cheese slicer come with the bamboo steamer or ginsu knives?

Nice work.

Jeff

Big Steve is eyeing all this,I just know. Make some dandy beehives for ya Steve.:D

Self confessed Wingnut.

Now think about it...wouldn't you rather LIVE your life, rather than watch someone else's, on Reality T.V.?

Get up off that couch!!! =)

Progress; Fuselage on all three, with outside and inside nearly complete. 8 inch extended nose. FHC done. Canard finished. ERacer wings done with blended winglets. IO540 starting rebuild. Mounting Spar. Starting strake ribs.

Glad you posted some more pics, Tmann. Post #9 was looking like Beldar the Conehead was your inspiration...:D

Actually it's a slightly shorter version of the long noze Tony Malfa drafted on www.ez.org Posted Image

His goes out to FS -24. Mine is 5-6 inches shorter and takes into account the curved outside of my fuselage. This curve is projected forward to the nose. It made for an interesting challenge to figure out how to draft the templates.

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

is a very gooooood job...¿job?

¿what is better said :job or work??

OOOOOOOOOOO my poor english:irked:

You English is great, we just are poor listeners =)

Our coloqueal English goes:

-Good job

-Great job!

-Good workmanship

-Great workmanship!

-OMG! that's like freaking awesome, do you take credit cards?

...Chrissi

CG Products

www.CozyGirrrl.com

Cozy Mk-IV RG 13B Turbo

If you reverse the parts, would they nest for shipping?

It would be pretty close. Worst case, you would need a box about 18-24 inches tall to accomodate it.

These really are not trasferable due to the curved exterior I have at FS 22.

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

It would be pretty close. Worst case, you would need a box about 18-24 inches tall to accomodate it.

These really are not trasferable due to the curved exterior I have at FS 22.

Ah, same problem we had with most of the stuff for our Cozy N66ky, too custom to fit anyone elses project.

..Chrissi

CG Products

www.CozyGirrrl.com

Cozy Mk-IV RG 13B Turbo

I did a layup over the hatch portion of the nose tonight. I was looking at Waiter's site and followed his lead and made my hatch layup first. I'll carve a slight depession to accept the cover and allow for a gasket before I glass the outside.

It also gave me a chance to try out my Idea for vacuum bagging this piece. I took a 10 foot section of 60" wide VB tub and passed it through the hollow nose section and then doubled it back over the outside. That left me with only one edge to seal and all the pressure generated is only between the inside and outside of the skin (a kind of pinching effect.) That eliminates any crushing effect.

I don't know if you can tell by the picture but I included it just the same.

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory