Bateleur crashes

I have been under a false ASSumtion all of this time.

You're not the only one.

Wheres the For sale thread here on this list? My project might be up for sale. Maybe this new guy wants it....

Maybe Rick Maddy saw this light?

Maybe thats why Dick Rutan is flying a 152 lately?.....

Maybe an RV? Maybe they are safer?

I assume you're pulling my leg here. I guarantee you that THIS was not the reason for any of the above. As far as other experimentals, all of the popular ones have about the same accident rates, from what I've read in random literature (although I have NOT done the calcs myself). See:

http://www.eaa.org/homebuilders/faq.asp

for info about the overall rate. Given the uncertainty in the assumptions I made about the flight hours, # flying, etc., I think that the COZY (once in Phase II) is about the same as the rest of the GA/experimental fleet, safety wise (and that the pilot is the largest single driver of accident statistics, not the plane type [except for a few outlier deathtraps, like the BD-5, etc.]).

Here's a followup link that indicates that the RV accident rate is about the same as the experimenta/GA fleet as a whole. Ron Wanttaja did the analysis, and I trust him implicitly.

http://rvhotline.expercraft.com/articles/2007/rv_accidents.html

Maybe an RV? Maybe they are safer?

Hoooooold on there!

Okay... situation "engine out" ........ how far can you glide.

As far as the mulchinator in back, The canopy and frame will have something to say about that.

As far as separation from the plane, you are moving in relationship to the plane so the biggest factor is drag when your body hits clear air. The fastest I've been able to fall below 12K is about 200 MPH. After that the resistance equals my weight (and that's headlong in a stable dive.)

The slowest is 100 mph.

Bottom line, if you're getting out of the plane it's because the other options are exhausted. When you get to THAT point it becomes REAL easy to do.:D

T Mann - Loooong-EZ/20B Infinity R/G Chpts 18

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

We add rocket's to everything!

4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 14, 19, 20 Done

Marc, the accident stats are very informative to all prospective builders and those of us who are hook-line-and-sinkered into building this aircraft. I am the biggest drawback to my airplanes safety [thats I, the pilot]- some guys shortchange the planes safety during the build before even becoming the pilot. I am trying to stick with work that is within bounds of what we have talked about off-list and I with other, I would say professionals in the canard world. I think MY work will be becoming a very proficient pilot and transitioning properly into the high performance airplane that this is. It pains me to have to build to at least 80+ hours in a spam can- but thats what I need to do...under a lot of varying conditions.

Yea, I will look forward to the future and cruising past the standard GA craft even if this plane is par for the safety GA course. When I first watched the canard posts- I was so out of it..Some guy said he was thinking about building an RV, and I thought- Dangggg, thats quite a choice that boy is considering..I didn'y even know there were garage built Winnebagos available. Head-slap, what a "rube".:rolleyes:

But there is something to that RV stuff...they send out two kits a day- the claim is....YOW!

...Must be cuz theirs no queezinart in the back- everybodys thinkin about hoppin out of the plane like TMann!:D

Self confessed Wingnut.

Now think about it...wouldn't you rather LIVE your life, rather than watch someone else's, on Reality T.V.?

Get up off that couch!!! =)

Progress; Fuselage on all three, with outside and inside nearly complete. 8 inch extended nose. FHC done. Canard finished. ERacer wings done with blended winglets. IO540 starting rebuild. Mounting Spar. Starting strake ribs.

- everybodys thinkin about hoppin out of the plane like TMann!:D

Dennis, I doubt that I would ever have to exit my plane in such a hasty fashion. That said, after spending years as a jumpmaster and demo team member I would feel very foolish not to have that option available.

T Mann - Loooong-EZ/20B Infinity R/G Chpts 18

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

We add rocket's to everything!

4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 14, 19, 20 Done

I am very envious of your jumping ability.:D I plan on doing a tandem from 13k this summer, so as to understand the feeling. I hope it doesn;\'yT grow on me.:D

Self confessed Wingnut.

Now think about it...wouldn't you rather LIVE your life, rather than watch someone else's, on Reality T.V.?

Get up off that couch!!! =)

Progress; Fuselage on all three, with outside and inside nearly complete. 8 inch extended nose. FHC done. Canard finished. ERacer wings done with blended winglets. IO540 starting rebuild. Mounting Spar. Starting strake ribs.