Rob's new project

It's in the hangar currently which is nice storage. I'm not in a huge hurry to move it, but I'm not going to get back to it. I've decided that a plane project and my wife are incompatible. Didn't seem like it was going to be that way as we've discussed it for some time, but the reality is bothering her now. I REALLY wanted to build this. But I know when I'm paddling upriver.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bear- Since the location of it is good.[ie. it is not underfoot, or taking up your garage] Why don't you put a big tarp over it and time capsule the thing. See what the climate is like in a year or two..or three, or 5? Things change. Circumstances change. Later you can make the decision to throw this away,or not. We sometimes think in terms of everything continuing along an unchangable current situational timeline. What if a divorce came out of nowhere [this possibly is revelational regarding a behavioral rift element] due to something else surfacing [that can't be so easily "scrapped or sold off"], or some change of heart...and then you are projectless.

Not trying to be DrPhil here...but just a thought.

Self confessed Wingnut.

Now think about it...wouldn't you rather LIVE your life, rather than watch someone else's, on Reality T.V.?

Get up off that couch!!! =)

Progress; Fuselage on all three, with outside and inside nearly complete. 8 inch extended nose. FHC done. Canard finished. ERacer wings done with blended winglets. IO540 starting rebuild. Mounting Spar. Starting strake ribs.

My guess (based on my own personal experience) is that it's either boiling down to a simpler issue or two. Money, or time.

Time spent on the project is time potentially not spent with your partner. Try to include her more in the things that you do, get her 'pumped up' about it. After all, when it's finished, you two will get plenty of time right next to one another in that front seat! The build process could easily be tailored to be more compatible with her schedule, or to bring her in for some help occasionally. Also, make sure to spend extra time with her when you aren't working on the project.

Money, this is a harder one to fix, and unfortunately is the root cause of many couples decisions to split. I'm assuming (there I go again) that you have a bit of dispoable income available if you are committing to a project of this magnitude. She could be having doubts about your finances, or commitment to the more important needs in your life. Some questions to ask yourself: Are your savings suffecient to sustain you in case either one (or both god forbid) of you loses your primary income? Have you bought a home yet? etc. I can't really offer up much of a solution for this one, other than to try to allay her doubts about your finances, and make sure that she is part of the approval process when you make purchases regarding the project.

I guess you can just ask yourself. What are your priorities. Obviously (hopefully) the wife will come first. However, what happens in a worst case scenario, and this was just a taste of things to come?

There are other possibilities to explain the sudden change of heart, but they are beyond the scope of civil discussion in this forum.

Hope this helps.

I'll help spread the word Bear. Got friends who are jealous of me building because their family or so-called better half won't allow it. I understand completely. Got my Aerocanard wings that way. What about getting rid of the Musketeer and buying a (49ish%done) Cozy? Maybe she'll meet you half way with that idea?

Thanks guys. I appreciate the suggestions.

To make a long story short, my wife of 16 years has been going through some major changes the last year. She's lost a bunch of weight (her choice) and there are some major emotional issues stemming back to loss of a family member. I don't want to go into much detail as the internet is forever, but I'll say that she's changed to the point that I'm not sure how much longer things will go on. We've always been a team but now she's decided that she wants to be more liberated. She's not happy, so she's taking it out on me. I'm just going to sell the project in hopes that the "money for the project" argument will go away. Once the project is gone, I'm really not expecting anything other than one less thing to be unhappy about.

I'm going to be getting rid of some other stuff in the shop as well. I don't feel like moving it if this ends up badly in 6 months.

I bought my Long-EZ plans back in about 1982-3.

Life put my plans on hold for better than 20 years. The situation is different now. Kids are grown etc.

Anyway, after all that time, the dream never died and now I'm building.

Maybe not now and maybe not a Cozy but do what you have to do today.

Tomorrow may be different.

T Mann - Loooong-EZ/20B Infinity R/G Chpts 18

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

We add rocket's to everything!

4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 14, 19, 20 Done

To tell the truth, if things keep going the way they're going now, I'll be taking up an Open-EZ project eventually. I won't need more than 2 seats. One for me and one for some baggage.

I see the double meaning about carrying baggage. Really, don't lose hope. I am speaking from experience, I did, and It's hard to stop regretting.

Just as when Steve [on the 'other forum'] was going through the nicotine fits...we collectively pretty much all wished him well...I just want to say on behalf of the group...best to ya...and we wish you whats best in this. If it all implodes, do the best with what you've got.

My wife did make a good observation during the Columbia fly-in one year. She said, "I will like sitting together better than sitting apart, [referring to Longs vs. Cozys] and I like all the room to take our bags and things with us in the back area"...Why do I say this? Eventually IF you do lose the wheel off your cart...you'll find another to put on there, and odds are they will feel similar to my wife. If you six your MarkIV now...remember its versatility on down the road when appealing to a typical Lady and their desire to bring the kitchen sink along on a trip. [i swear, we go to Cancun, and all she needs is a few bathing suits,maybe 2-3 night outfits and she's got 3 check-in bags at our front door ready to go!!!] Arsenio Hall used to say,"Things that make you go...HMMMM?"

Anyway, Bearair...hope you'll be okay.

Oh, just so Chrissy doesn't freak about my possibly sexist remark referring to a wife is one of the wheels on a mans cart...I view the other wheel as God...so its pretty good company to balance with.:)

Self confessed Wingnut.

Now think about it...wouldn't you rather LIVE your life, rather than watch someone else's, on Reality T.V.?

Get up off that couch!!! =)

Progress; Fuselage on all three, with outside and inside nearly complete. 8 inch extended nose. FHC done. Canard finished. ERacer wings done with blended winglets. IO540 starting rebuild. Mounting Spar. Starting strake ribs.

• 1 month later...

The project is sold. A gentleman in Australia purchased it. The crater/shipper picked it up yesterday. It will be crated next week and then head down under! Thanks to you all for the help and tips. I hope to be back building eventually.

Spodman, Are you holding out on us? :) What part of the country is it being shipped to, We may have to pay a visit to the new builder.

Hi all

I am very pleased to say that I am the new owner of Bearair's old project. When he advertized the fact that he wants to get rid of his project, I contacted him immediately. Then followed numerous communications and huge logistics to put plans in place. Bearair is a great gentleman and supported the effort with local knowledge. Craters and frieghters from Boise Idaho proved a great resource. They knew exactly what was required to export to Australia, went for an inspection quoted and picked up the project on thursday. Meanwhile I arranged a canopy from Todd's canopies to be sent to Boise and I am in the process of arranging 3 " tape from Aircraft Spruce (East). all will be packed into two wooden cases and then shipped to Perth Australia. I will see it in about 8 weeks.

All I can say is that I now have a great start to my project. I allready have the bulkheads for my plane and, according to photographs I have foam cut outs for another in the kit. The original owner has gone a long way towards fabricating/buying the metal kit; turtle deck engine cowls, wheel pants, nose cowl, leading edges, wig foam allready cut, from Featherlite,Wright noselift, Complete brake,tyres, caliper set. Sticks, fuelgages, too many to mention.

Included was MGS epoxy (2 gallons) which I cannot transport. Give bear air a call. If ther is any interest I can post photographs of what is in the kit

Thanks again to Bearair with all the trouble he went to

Hennie Engelbrecht

congrats! We have another Aussie builder.

Meanwhile I arranged a canopy from Todd's canopies to be sent to Boise and

Smart Move. A local SAAA member just had Todd ship him a canopy for his RV. I think he said it was about $500 for the Canopy and $1500 for the SHIPPING!!!!

Let me know what extra parts you have. Maybe we can work something out.

drew

Drew Chaplin (aka the Foam Whisperer)

---

www.Cozy1200.com - I'm a builder now! :cool:

---

Brace for impact...

The last few days saw some hectic activity. The kit was collected from Rob's place and taken to Boise.

I procured a canopy from Todd's and had it shipped to Boise. I also purchased 3 " tape from Aircraft Spruce. It should be in Boise on Thursday/Friday. Jeff de Marini is holding off on the packing so that we can consolidate all in one shipment. Nice and professional people.

See this link for some idea of what Craters and Freighters are about

http://videos.idahostatesman.com/vmix_hosted_apps/p/media?id=1587555

Lets hold thumbs that the different packages get to Boise by Friday

I will continue to give feedback under this heading until such time the shipment leaves USA.

Hennie

Hennie! Congratulations!

Glad to read that you got this running start on building :)

And this implies that you will be settling in Australia?

Or are you going to fly it to South Africa, long way around? :)

Bearair, sorry about your troubles, hope they get sorted.

Regards & happy building ... We'll be watching with interest!

I live in my own little world! but its OK, they know me here!

Chris Van Hoof, Johannesburg, South Africa operate from FASY (Baragwanath)

Cozy Mk IV, ZU-CZZ, IO-360 (200hp) 70x80 prop

Hennie! Congratulations!

Glad to read that you got this running start on building :)

And this implies that you will be settling in Australia?

yes that is the plan. Got my residency a few months ago

Or are you going to fly it to South Africa, long way around? :)

Long flight.....very long. Brisbane is far away enough!

Bearair, sorry about your troubles, hope they get sorted.

Great guy! Nothing was too much trouble.

Regards & happy building ... We'll be watching with interest!

Thanks Chris. I have a few good examples around to follow..

Congratulations on all counts!

Suppose you starting a new Topic when you get going! ... :-)

Regards

Had to read some past posts to find out where on that large continent you are located ... Perth. :)

Now in Perth & environs you'll find Dawie Botes - LongEze driver. Nice plane too!

And near there is also Sakkie van Heerden - this person would be a great help in locating local (Aus) stuff! He has built a few planes, including a twin :-)

Both left South Africa from Pretoria area and settled near you. :D

The exodus from here is a right brain drain, now even the aircraft engineers and other tradesmen are leaving! :irked:

Presently I have more friends in foreign countries than I have here!

Will PM you the info once I have obtained this!