MGS Reaction?

Cozy1200

The fumes don't seem to bother me. My skin is only affected where I had epoxy all over my hands. I'm not experiencing any respiratory problems. I wear a good dust mask when sanding. But if I have to wear a respirator to work on the plane, then the plane will be sold. It's a simple as that. The dust mask is just barely tolerable to me - steamed up glasses, wet, dripping face under the dust mask. Very unpleasant - but tolerable.

When I started building my glass plane I thought I was going to have to quit because I was breaking out every where from the epoxy and fiberglass. I'd scratch all hours of the night it was so bad. Now I don't have a problem at all by using a few items that protect me extremely well.

1) Invisible Gloves (#1211) from Wicks, I saw Mike Melville use it or something similar in the old Rutan video, it really does help with the epoxy but not the fiberglass.

2) I wear long sleeve t-shirts, put on a pair of Nitrile gloves up and over the sleeves (I was having a reaction to the latex, my hands would itch for hours) and put Duct tape around them and the t-shirt to keep them sealed. Then I use the latex gloves over the Nitrile gloves taking them off when I get to much epoxy on and put on another pair. I can work all day long very comfortably this way.

3) I wear a sweat band and this keeps the old sweat beads from having to be wiped or falling into my layups or on my glasses.

4) I've owned ONE dust mask for several years now and if you want steamed glasses to go away then go to this web site and buy one, they're not cheap but, you can wash it and reuse it for a very long time. I used to think they were a pain in the you know what, not this one. I use it all the time when it's called for and I no longer have a problem with steamed glasses and best of all, it's not a pain to use.

http://www.dustbeegone.com/

I was extremely frustrated and I almost gave up because of these problems but, I kept trying to find the right solution for my issues and these have worked now for well over a year with no problems at all from either the epoxy or fiberglass. Which reminds me I need to head out to the garage and mix some epoxy, enjoy the build!

Bruce Sturgill

www.pursuitofflight.com

Best regards,

Bruce Sturgill

http://www.pursuitofflight.com

Just saw my post. My garage is at 85 minimum not 65 minimum... Resin in the box at 95 mininumb....geeesh.

Self confessed Wingnut.

Now think about it...wouldn't you rather LIVE your life, rather than watch someone else's, on Reality T.V.?

Get up off that couch!!! =)

Progress; Fuselage on all three, with outside and inside nearly complete. 8 inch extended nose. FHC done. Canard finished. ERacer wings done with blended winglets. IO540 starting rebuild. Mounting Spar. Starting strake ribs.

For what it's worth, I break out exactly as mentioned in the opening post if I get the 285 on me. It also itches like mad. I see it almost as a benefit, in that I know immediately if I get any on me, and so can go wash it off right away (I use Orange/pummice hand cleaner for this).

Another odd thing, if I get it on me, I get itches where it's not actually touching, really stong. Like inside the canal of my left ear or on the top of my scalp. This is more problematic, as these aren't places one can scratch without first stripping the gloves and decontaminating!

I use the hand cream and nitrile gloves, and have recently begun long sleeve for any significant about of epoxy work, the long sleeves made a really big difference as I always seem to get my forearms on something, and the Ply 9 doesn't stop the MGS well enough to prevent a reaction.

Generally speaking though, my reaction is localized to the contact point (except for the odd itches sometimes), and I don't have any issue with fumes or whatever (although I have started to use an activated carbon filter mask, just like the one pictured) when mixing significant amounts, as this is when I'm right over top of it, because I vac bag, I'm not over the layup as long as with a hand layup as the vacuum does a lot of the work of getting out the excess resin for me.

One thing I learned about those masks, is that between uses the filters should be stored in a plastic ziplock to keep them from getting "used up" sitting on the bench. Anybody know if that's necessary, or how often to change the filters?

Craig K.

Cozy IV #1457

building chapter seven!

http://www.maddyhome.com/canardpages/pages/chasingmars/index.html

Have you considered using a supplied air respirator like professional welders ? You can get lightweight, full face masks that will let you wear glasses under them. Forced air will keep the sweat down and with the right welders air source you can drop the supplied air temp by 45F under ambient.

I believe the setup is fairly expensive, but your long term health is priceless. As has already been mentioned, what is the point of building a sweet ride if you get bounced on your medical ?

I wear a good dust mask when sanding. But if I have to wear a respirator to work on the plane, then the plane will be sold. It's a simple as that. The dust mask is just barely tolerable to me - steamed up glasses, wet, dripping face under the dust mask. Very unpleasant - but tolerable.

But the respirator with plastic (rubber?) touching my entire face, glasses pushed up so far that I can only see through the lower portion of the bi-focals - just ain't gonna happen. I'll sell the project and build a metal plane if it gets to the point that I have to wear a respirator.

I couldn't find what type epoxy you're using. But if you are using MGS 285, and all of the anti-contact measures you care to use don't help, you may want to consider switching to 335.

I'm using MGS 285. In OZ it's not an option, it's the only epoxy imported by the distributor. Spruce can't ship it because it's toxic. I don't know if it would be possible to import MGS 335 directly from Germany in small quantities. When we move back to the states, I'll change to 335 on price alone.

At least for additional protection, the hand cream sounds appealing. Wearing a long sleeve shirt only puts a layer of clothing you and the epoxy. Wearing a tyvec suit would solve that. My concern is as we head into summer it will get quite hot and a long sleeve shirt/suit would be very uncomfortable. I'm thinking of using the hand cream clear up past my elbows.

I'll check the fiberglass supplier that I bought my peel-ply from. www.FGI.com.au

Drew Chaplin (aka the Foam Whisperer)

---

www.Cozy1200.com - I'm a builder now! :cool:

---

Brace for impact...

Chasingmars said "...Another odd thing, if I get it on me, I get itches where it's not actually touching, really stong. Like inside the canal of my left ear or on the top of my scalp. "

This is part of what a pathologist friend explained to me about my allergy to it, she said that at the level of sensetivity I have now that if I breath it or if I touch it the local reaction sets off a full blown innunological system counterattack and that this can and may happen at all previous contact sites, hence my breaking out in leopord spots which was confirmed one day as I lifted up my epoxy shirt and noticed one for one I had matching spots.

Guys, its an aquired thing, no one session is going to trigger it but the cumulative exposure can get you then its too late. Be sensible.

I know someone who built two canards and his doctor has ruled out all other causes for some wierd pituitary gland problems he has. A lot of the stuff you abuse your body with now will not manifest itself until the last 20 years of your life, thats your hell on earth so to speak, play now, pay later.

...Chrissi

CG Products

www.CozyGirrrl.com

Cozy Mk-IV RG 13B Turbo

Yeah, what Chrissi said.

This is just to underline the Breathing Part. Allergies are not only contact, but sensitivity can also be due to inhalation. If you are allegic to the stuff, you should use a organic-type respirator when using it. Dust masks have no effect.

I Canardly contain myself!

Rich :D

One thing I learned about those masks, is that between uses the filters should be stored in a plastic ziplock to keep them from getting "used up" sitting on the bench. Anybody know if that's necessary, or how often to change the filters?

Yes, it's necessary and the filter should be changed after 40 hours or 30 days. The problem with MGS is the lack of smell, usually a good indication of needing to change filters is when you can smell the materials your working with through the respirator.

Regards,

Jason T Heath

MarkIV #1418

heathjasont@yahoo.com

Wearing a long sleeve shirt only puts a layer of clothing you and the epoxy. Wearing a tyvec suit would solve that. My concern is as we head into summer it will get quite hot and a long sleeve shirt/suit would be very uncomfortable.[/url]

Exactly just get proper organic mask not only dustproof and proper suit. In the summer time you can work with t-shirt, shorts and suit no problem. Don't forget about eye protectors I had resin ones in my eye and believe me I don't want to have it again.

post-2134-141090157336_thumb.jpg

post-2134-141090157337_thumb.jpg

4) I've owned ONE dust mask for several years now and if you want steamed glasses to go away then go to this web site and buy one, they're not cheap but, you can wash it and reuse it for a very long time. I used to think they were a pain in the you know what, not this one. I use it all the time when it's called for and I no longer have a problem with steamed glasses and best of all, it's not a pain to use.

http://www.dustbeegone.com/

Bruce Sturgill

www.pursuitofflight.com

Thanks Bruce - I just ordered a Dust Bee Gone nuisance dust mask. I'll let y'all know if it lives up to it's billing! FYI - paid $34.95 for one plus $6.95 shipping.

Phil Kriley

Cozy #1460

Chapter 13 - nose

Right wing done - working on right winglet.