Cooling?

One of the problems I've heard people mention is the extra weight of a cooling system. I plan on using VW TDI, at least the plan so far.

I'm thinking instead of a typical radiator, running lines to the leading edge of the wings and canard, under the glass. This would give me more than enough surface area to dispel heat with the advantage of anti-icing. I'm also going to run a line thru the tanks so that any of the biodiesel / svo stay warm and flowing.

My thoughts as a sleep deprived idividual.

One of the problems I've heard people mention is the extra weight of a cooling system. I plan on using VW TDI, at least the plan so far.

I'm thinking instead of a typical radiator, running lines to the leading edge of the wings and canard, under the glass. This would give me more than enough surface area to dispel heat with the advantage of anti-icing. I'm also going to run a line thru the tanks so that any of the biodiesel / svo stay warm and flowing.

My thoughts as a sleep deprived idividual.

Lessee, Hans,

You will be running fluid at 200 degrees or greater, trough foam, under glass.

Lets separate the two locations. The liquid flowing through the tubing that you will be using (I assume it is metal) will heat it to slightly less temperature than the fluid, itself. The main problem here is that the foam that we are using tends to liquefy at around the working temperature of of those tubes.---- Not a great idea. Now the other part is that you are putting this heat also on the fiberglass/epoxy combination. there are two problems with this: 1--- Fiberglass/epoxy is somewhat of a thermal resistor so your efficiency will plummet. The second and more important thing is that unless you use high temperature epoxy, your layups will degrade. So now you have degraded leading edge skins with no foam in back of them to support the shape and contribute torsional resistance to the wing. Again bad Idea.

Even if it weren't a situation of destroying the integrity of the structure, the weight of those long tubes, filled with coolant would probably be greater than the dreaded radiator. (don't forget that they have to go out and back.The bigger diameter of the tube, the less efficient it will be because the surface are/volume decreases.)

I Canardly contain myself!

Rich :D