Famous First Foto

Drew, congrats! See about taking a picture of the delivery before you dig into it.

Today I picked up 25kG of MGS 235 (about 5-6 gallons) from the distributor on the other side of the city. This is the first official part that will become part of the plane. It was just under $1500AUD. At this current exchange rate that $1350! ouch.

The owner was gone, but one of the kids in the store working on some surfboards helped me load the stuff in the car. So I told him it was somewhat of a tradition to take a picture with the deliveryman with the first shipment. He was like "WHAT?????" :confused: "You what me to do what?" I told him I just wanted a picture of him holding the epoxy. He agreed.

So below is the the kid in the surfboard shop delivery to me my shipment of MGS!!!!!!! THE PRE-BUILD OFFICIALLY ENDS... :carrot:

post-336-141090156879_thumb.jpg

Drew Chaplin (aka the Foam Whisperer)

---

www.Cozy1200.com - I'm a builder now! :cool:

---

Brace for impact...

I think I'm a builder now. :banana:

Today Spodman was kind enough to help me transport my shipment from the Customs Broker to my house. He pulled his trailer, but surprisingly it fit in the back of his car. My car wasn't large enough hold some of the stuff so I asked for his help.

So below is us having a celebratory beer (or two) after loading the stuff into the shop. I'm still flabbergasted that it cost me a total of $1366 USD to ship and clear $2010 worth of aircraft parts.

So, tomorrow will be the first layup.

post-336-141090157248_thumb.jpg

---

---

Brace for impact...

Congratulations!

If you did not already, consider buying a whole roll of each cloth. You will definately use it and more, you will always have the right amount on hand and its more economical. Ask for a discount on the two rolls.

Regards, Chrissi

CG Products

www.CozyGirrrl.com

Cozy Mk-IV RG 13B Turbo

Congratulations!

Shipping surprises me too sometimes... but it beats the alternatives!

My second chapter order came from Spruce, and when I first receive the shipment I was dissapointed with packaging, what with crushed foam and and ripped boxes. BUT, it all worked out fine and there was plenty of extra foam to complete the work.

First chapter, from Wicks was packaged better, although both pieces (original and free replacement) of birch plywood had a warp to them.

Have fun getting started, I hope you make quick progress.

Andrew Anunson

I work underground and I play in the sky... no problem

Congrats on your orders and the stocking of supplies for the journey ahead.

Don't worry about warped birch -- I'm sure it was flat once. Mine was flat as well, but fixed after laying on my worktable and weighting down for... well, a long time. :o

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

Congrats on your orders and the stocking of supplies for the journey ahead.

Don't worry about warped birch -- I'm sure it was flat once. Mine was flat as well, but fixed after laying on my worktable and weighting down for... well, a long time. :o

Dittos on the congrats. :) :) :) :) Welcome to the land of the actual builders

Don't worry about the warped plywood, It all eventually does. You will be laminating that wood with glass and epoxy. When you do that, make sure that after your layup, you cover it with peel ply, if you desire and then plastic sheeting (I use 1mil, although in this application it does not make much difference except you may get a fold mark. On top of the plastic, put some stiff boards (I used counter top sink cutouts) and weigh them down.

If you have a lot of epoxy experience you can glass one side, lay the plastic on it, flip it over, lay-up the other side, put the boards on, weight the whole thing down and let it set. Don't forget the engine mount aluminum hardpoints.

Either way you do it, the warp will be gone. Kind of like making the bent longerons in reverse.

I Canardly contain myself!

Rich :D

... I was dissapointed with packaging, what with crushed foam and and ripped boxes.

Actually, At this point I'm quite please with everything. I haven't inspected all the foam piece by piece, but I've not found any damage or missing items. Spruce was good to work with. Having them return a phone call didn't always work, but email were always answered by the next day. Overall, I'm satisfied with my ASS ORDER. (Ha ha, that funny ASS ORDER). So if they had missed an item, would that mean they Screwed up my ASS? :bad:

It may contributed to the international shipment that they gave it an extra effort.

On my next order, I'm going to take order the CG advise on hardware and order extras. I've made up a spreadsheet of all the hardware used in the plane and in what chapter. To order the majority of the nuts, bolts, screws (Minus the rate large pricey ones) for the plane would cost $300--$500. The the chart you can quickly determine where you'll need them and what the next longer size is. So they idea is to order all the hardware for the plane and the next couple sizes up. Allot of the time, the next size up may be used later in the build. So go ahead and buy it now in case you need it.

---

---

Brace for impact...

Practice Layup Done!! Doesn't look too bad at this point. I'll have to wait and see how it looks when it's cured. I do know I need to work on keeping the fiber straighter.

Onto the Confidence layup, Nat says to use green foam. I have no Green foam. So what type of foam is used?

I didn't remember to order extra foam/fiberglass for these layups. The picture frame, out of the foam for the NACA, is there enough left so that I can use some, or should I try to track down something else locally?

thanks

---

---

Brace for impact...

The practice layup turned out nice, but slightly light at 9.5 oz. No air bubbles present. The top layer is ever so slightly dry and rough. A little bit more epoxy probably would have solved the problem. Live and learn. The dark spots are of no concern, there was a couple pinholes in the plastic. Epoxy soaked threw to the table. A non-Issue because the top had already been waxed.

The confidence layup went well and didn't take much time at all. A few days of curing and I'll be showing off to the neighbors. (and of course receiving strange looks).

Last night I prep the foam, fiberglass, and peelply for the seatback. I was ready to start slapping epoxy today, but it has been raining steadily for the last 24 hours and humidity was over 85%. So no layups today.

I did have a slight (but considerably legitimate) distraction today. The Redbull AirRace world championship round was this weekend in Perth. I had disparately wanted to attended, but was overruled by swmbo. The Australian TV coverage on pretty good with 3 hours each on Saturday and Sunday.

Since I couldn't do the seatback layup, I moved forwards with what I could. I prep the foam for F-28 & F-22. I still need to slightly sand the micro joints and cut the fiberglass. depending on how quickly I do the seatback layup tomorrow, I may do these layups as well.

BTW, The fein sander is amazing!!!

QUESTION????

When I do the seatback layup, should I weigh it down to prevent it from curling when it cures?

post-336-141090157312_thumb.jpg

post-336-141090157314_thumb.jpg

post-336-141090157317_thumb.jpg

---

---

Brace for impact...

PIc 1- Be careful not to encapsulate dripping blood in your layups- especially the 'confidence' layup, because while everything looks fine to you, it kinda backfires when others are trying to feel confident...IT does however allow you to truthfully claim you have put your blood and sweat into this project.

Pic 2- Wha?????? Did you find one of those Australian blue banana slugs, and immortalize it in a fiberglass cocoon? Or is that an American version of a boomerang [those dumb Americans]. Whatever it is??...keep it to yourself.

Pic 3- Ah, here we see you as you threaten the cameraman...and me, after my pithy remarks.

Addendum: Yea, put something soft down nearing your part corners and in the center before you put your hard weights on it or you'll get ridges in your layup where the hard edges rest. Oh- yea, be sure and put peelply and plastic under your spots where the soft covered weights are sitting- looks better when the fuzz isn't stuck in the layup. Or if you've got some sand in sealable plastic baggies- those make great weights. I use soft scuba weights in baggies. The spots of peelply under your plastic spots keep shiney glossy areas from happening when there is just plastic attached to the layup and the plastic draws the epoxy up against itself.

It is really great to see you working after all of your angst. Congradulations!!

Self confessed Wingnut.

Now think about it...wouldn't you rather LIVE your life, rather than watch someone else's, on Reality T.V.?

Get up off that couch!!! =)

Progress; Fuselage on all three, with outside and inside nearly complete. 8 inch extended nose. FHC done. Canard finished. ERacer wings done with blended winglets. IO540 starting rebuild. Mounting Spar. Starting strake ribs.

Edge, I'm still debating whether there was anything useful in your post or not. But I got a good chuckle out of it! sl

My thought on how I would weigh the part down. I plan on using peel-ply on the entire part, then cover with plastic. Then us a sheet of plywood over the entire piece. It should provide a constant pressure across the entire piece.

---

---

Brace for impact...

Well done on making a start. Didn't watch Red Bull myself, it is a bit tantalising to note I could have been there if I'd made the effort...

Wouldn't have thought a piece of ply would make much of a weight. Maybe with a couple of house bricks on it. Maybe entice a drop-bear out of the garden to sit on it for you? Andrew used a thick sheet of glass on his.

humidity was over 85%. So no layups today.

I didn't think humidity was a factor, but are the spots from an excess in VB humidity? :rolleyes:

The plans say make the confidence piece out of 'green urethane foam'. I think that translates to the brown stuff you have, but I've seen somebody use PVC for theirs without, erm, losing confidence afterwards.

Mark Spedding - Spodman
Darraweit Guim - Australia
Cozy IV #1331 -  Chapter 09
www.mykitlog.com/Spodman
www.sites.google.com/site/thespodplane/the-spodplane

Well done on making a start. Didn't watch Red Bull myself, it is a bit tantalising to note I could have been there if I'd made the effort...

Same here, I have the FF points, just didn't do it.

Wouldn't have thought a piece of ply would make much of a weight. Maybe with a couple of house bricks on it.

Sure, I loaded it down with about everything I had around the shop.

I didn't think humidity was a factor, but are the spots from an excess in VB humidity? :rolleyes:

I won't rule the VB out. :)

Time to break out your plans.

Page 14? ATMOSPHERIC CONDITIONS

says

Humidity will only create problems if it is over 75%. Don’t

undertake a layup if it is pouring down rain outside or, if you notice a cloudy

‘blush’ on the wet epoxy surface, or any evidence of whiteness in the epoxy due

to moisture.

If this is out of date, please someone let me know.

The plans say make the confidence piece out of 'green urethane foam'. I think that translates to the brown stuff you have, but I've seen somebody use PVC for theirs without, erm, losing confidence afterwards.

Once I read closer and realized it said urethane, I used the 1" think urethane that will be used to build the NACA scoop. I cut it down to 1/2" and made the piece.

---

---

Brace for impact...

Drew...No need to put bricks and plywood and a bunch of weight on this..you guys are talking like this is some kinda Venus Flytrap or something...It just takes a little bit of weight where I was talking about, and thats fine. Dang, you'd swear this thing was going to curl up like a dried leaf the way you guys are gonig on...=]

Self confessed Wingnut.

Now think about it...wouldn't you rather LIVE your life, rather than watch someone else's, on Reality T.V.?

Get up off that couch!!! =)

Progress; Fuselage on all three, with outside and inside nearly complete. 8 inch extended nose. FHC done. Canard finished. ERacer wings done with blended winglets. IO540 starting rebuild. Mounting Spar. Starting strake ribs.

says ....

Humidity becomes less of an issue when vacuum bagging.

Also, an alternative to weights (in a VB environment) is to put your part on a piece of plywood and slip the entire works in the bag.

(don't forget the release between the part and the plywood.)

Or use your table top as a call plate. Lay the part on the table and tape your bag film around the edges.

On some of the layups calling for 9-14 plies, I laid it out on some poly, then peel ply then my plies, peel ply again, perf ply then batting. Sandwich the works between two pieces of plywood or MDF and pop it in the bag. Very flat and very smooth.

T Mann - Loooong-EZ/20B Infinity R/G Chpts 18

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

We add rocket's to everything!

4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 14, 19, 20 Done

• 2 months later...

says

Quote:

Humidity will only create problems if it is over 75%. Don’t

undertake a layup if it is pouring down rain outside or, if you notice a cloudy

‘blush’ on the wet epoxy surface, or any evidence of whiteness in the epoxy due

to moisture.

If this is out of date, please someone let me know.

No, this is not out of date and very relevant - Living in Victoria was a pain for humidity control during a layup (4 seasons in one day!), but not so now I live in Brisbane.

I have a digital humidity meter in the workshop and monitor before (and during) layups to ensure I dont exceed 75%. I note the temp and humidity in my builder logbook too.

As for VB in the layups - I think your problem might be the Spodman! :)

Regards,

Andrew Winkworth

Cozy MKIV #937

Brisbane Australia:)

Andrew Winkworth

Cozy MKIV #937

Brisbane Australia

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Does anyone have a contact for Andrew Winkworth Cozy Builder in Brisbane

Regards

Andy Ross

andrew.ross@suzlon.com

Hey Andy,

Just go to the top of this page and do a search on the Members List. You can email him directly. Good luck to you.

Best Regards,

John D. Wages

N694CZ (reserved)

http://www.maddyhome.com/canardpages/pages/johnwages/default.htm