Comprehensive mods list

rsrguy3

Hi Remi !

It is good to hear from you also. No, we are not so well these days m'fraid, but we are still alive and trying to solve the more mountainous crises. We will come out of it in one piece - I am determined. In the meantime - how to distract myself with some inexpensive game.

edit: oh camping, we spent an evening on a remote surf beach last week. It was very relaxing - miles from nowhere. Took a skillet and a pack of sausages and cooked up over an open fire. 4WD country only.

http://meshnetworks.co.nz/~steve/picture019.jpg

Thanks for your kindness. :)

Steve

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What the he** is a wiki?

This should give you an idea: www.wikipedia.org

If you'd like, you can locate the article on Elvis and "correct" it to say that he's alive and well living on the dark side of the moon. Most people don't do stuff like that, but it happens. Regardless, it's a great tool for documenting things.

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

Blades airfoil shape and angle of attack are generally optimized for a specific aircraft speed, power delivered to the propellor, and propeller RPM.

This airspeed, RPM combination is the most efficient point of operation for that particular propeller

Example, my Great American is optimized for a 160 hp engine that is turning the propeller at 2800 RPM and traveling at 175kts.

My MT is optimized for the same 160 hp engine that is turning at 2300 RPM traveling at 165kts.

If I turn up the MT to 2700 kts, my max speed is about 170 kts, If I turn it up even farther, say 2800 RPM (Don't Tell MT I did this), the speed now starts coming backdown, 167 - 168 kts.

VERY IMPORTANT, BUT OFTEN OVERLOOKED.

For this example, I'm running a standard Lycoming O-320 thats rated at 160 hp at 2700 RPM (at sea level), burning 10 GPH.

Power output for this engine is fairly linier between 2300 and 3000 rpm. roughly, 10 hp per 100 RPM. What this means is this:

Full throttle at sea level:

With the MT prop, spinning the prop at 2300 RPM, the engine is producing 120hp. As such, the fuel burn will be approximatly 7.5 GPH for an airspeed of 165 kts.

With the Great American, spinning at 2800 RPM, the engine is producing 170 hp. As such, the fuel burn will be approximatly 11 GPH for an airspeed of 175 kts.

Waiter

F16 performance on a Piper Cub budget

LongEZ, 160hp, MT CS Prop, Downdraft cooling, Full retract

visit: www.iflyez.com

Ok, with that said, how do we get the coveted 200+ mph and a 9-10 gph consumption? Is it possible?-Guy

Possibly with a compression ignition engine, turboed, at altitude, I'd say. Better bsfc to reduce consumption. Question is, can it be done light enough for effective use, and what are the bugbears hiding in the details along the way. I'm really wondering what the new boxer-4 Subaru diesel's going to weigh.

Craig K.

Cozy IV #1457

building chapter seven!

http://www.maddyhome.com/canardpages/pages/chasingmars/index.html

Ok, with that said, how do we get the coveted 200+ mph and a 9-10 gph consumption? Is it possible?-Guy

Huh? That's what a stock COZY MKIV will do with an O-360. On a standard day, at 8K ft., I'll generally get about 200 mph TAS on 9.4 gph.

Build a COZY MKIV, and that's what you'll get.

That's what a stock COZY MKIV will do with an O-360. On a standard day, at 8K ft., I'll generally get about 200 mph TAS on 9.4 gph.

Almost as fast as a Long-EZ with the same engine & prop configuration. The Cozy will have a larger frontal footprint which contribute some resistance up front.

So it starts coming down to utility: 2 extra seats at a cost just like in your car.

T Mann - Loooong-EZ/20B Infinity R/G Chpts 18

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

We add rocket's to everything!

4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 14, 19, 20 Done

I think somewhere in this mess we talked about the merits of Vacuum Bagging. It seems we have a shirt-tale endorsement of the technique from none other than Rutan Aircraft. Check out steps 15 & 16

http://www.rutanaircraft.com/htmlpages/rolloverplansc.pdf

So it seems even RAF has an open mind about this for the home builders.

post-2251-14109015677_thumb.jpg

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

I think somewhere in this mess we talked about the merits of Vacuum Bagging.

Since you prompted me to read through all this again, I found this:

While it is percieved that we are not using molds, we in fact are. Most people think of a mold only in terms of a 'female' mold but we use the 'male' mold technique so the phrase 'moldless construction' is a bit misleading.

See: http://www.fibreglast.com/contentpages-Moldless%20Composite%20Construction-303.html or your plans education chapter for the definition of moldless construction.;)

Regards,

Jason T Heath

MarkIV #1418

heathjasont@yahoo.com

I was reviewing the Berkut tapes this evening on wing construction. It was interesting to see how aggressive he (Dave) is in his construction process.

They did go through the process of vacuum bagging the wing but I have to say that if that was my intro into this technique, I would have passed on it. Very time consuming trying to use 6 mil poly and tape. The tubes with click lock seals work much faster.

There really is a lot of good info and technique that totally took me by surprise. Definetley time well spent. Another step closer.

Now .... back to work. I don't want to be stuck on chapter 10 for months and months ........ and months. :D

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

So guys, what are the details on the fuel pods under the strakes, and also what's with sump's in the rear seat area. whats the total extra gallon wise on those mods? To date what is the most Lyc hp safely hung on the back of the

Cozy. On the extra fuel storage, is it more trouble than it's worth, you know in terms of pumps etc? What is the upper design limit on streight line cruise speed for a plans built airframe w/a big or pumped Lyc?

-Guy

So guys, what are the details on the fuel pods under the strakes, and also what's with sump's in the rear seat area. whats the total extra gallon wise on those mods?...

With respect to pods, this was answered in post #82. The hell hole/rear seat area sump will add 3-5 gallons.

To date what is the most Lyc hp safely hung on the back of the Cozy.

Chris Esselstyn's 260 HP O-540.

On the extra fuel storage, is it more trouble than it's worth, you know in terms of pumps etc?

Not if you want to fly across the Pacific. Otherwise, as stated in post #82, how long do you want to be able to fly without getting out of the plane to stretch your legs and pee?

What is the upper design limit on streight line cruise speed for a plans built airframe w/a big or pumped Lyc?

The COZY's Vne is 220 mph IAS. Doesn't matter what engine is in it - that's the limit for a stock COZY airframe. If, for some reason, you were going to fly particularly high, so that the TAS would be very much higher than the IAS, it might be lower, but no-one knows.

On a separate note, you ask a lot of questions, and that's a good thing, because it shows that you're trying to learn and understand. But it takes other folk's time to answer them, and given that you've explicitly stated that you don't want to take your time to research these questions, what you're doing is trading other folk's time for your convenience.

All of these questions have been asked and answered many times before, in many places, all of which are easily searchable, either via the on-line CP's, the on-line COZY newsletters, the on-line COZY mailing list FAQ, the on-line COZY mailing list archive, the on-line canard-aviators archive, ez.org, this and other canard web fora, et. al.

If you're not willing to put in the time yourself to do some research, why should other folks be willing to put in the time to answer your questions?

Please - help us help you. This is for ALL folks - not just Guy.

Marc,

We are ripping out the sump in the former main gear well. Since it is the low point of the fuel system it also has a drain, said drain is metal. In the event of a gear up landing even with a kevlar bottom I would expect that drain is going to meet tarmac and when it does, make sparks. I do not wish to be the cool flaming video on the evening news no matter how entertaining that may be to a 15 yr old.

Any of those installing retractable main gear might look at this issue and at the very least make any sump an independant vessal rather than a part of the structure.

Regards, Chrissi

CG Products

www.CozyGirrrl.com

Cozy Mk-IV RG 13B Turbo