Comprehensive mods list

rsrguy3

Yep ;)

I'm curious how long my noob tag (not to be confused with name tag or guten tag) will last, and if [when] it leaves, should I expect some sort of life change event?

Rick, it lasts all the way to the safe landing of your first flight, then your no longer a noob, until then we're all just building big model airplanes. You then move horizontally to the noob 102 test phase which may end in giving a ride to your first passenger, possibly a life changing event for both of you! Then you get to stand back, shrug your shoulder and thumb your nose to all below you. If you never get to that point, possibly from changing things that don't need, shouldn't have been or someone hasnt a clue on how to.. then you remain a noob forever.

Regards,

Jason T Heath

MarkIV #1418

heathjasont@yahoo.com

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok guys, I love you all, really, in a very Christian sort of way, not a funny way. And I'm sure I would be assisting in all of your builds if you all lived on my block. Alas this is not the case. So, back to the topic.

What I have learned so far.

1. Bagging is totally un-necessary. It might save 10-30 lbs but is not worth

the cost. I've already lost 12lbs off my fat ass-more to go-much cheaper

to boot. (already taken to heart-any one wanna cut my feet off now?

6'-1" to 5'-9" better fit)

Lets move on to fuel tanks, am I maxxed out at 54 gallons or is there a way to build in more capacity?

How about those observation windows- lower cabin to floor, you know like on a Jet Ranger. And before any one be-rates me to say how stupid I am- I just think it would be cool to see down/ with out seeing strakes.

The Village Idiot/Nube- Guy

The Village Idiot/Nube- Guy

I think you're too late. That position was already filled. (inside joke prior to your debute here.)

The Berkut has made use of the thigh support of the passenger as a sump. I have not figured the additional capacity.

Also, a removeable tank can be placed in rear seat (in tandem seating) but I can't say I'm a real fan of that one.

T Mann - Loooong-EZ/20B Infinity R/G Chpts 18

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

We add rocket's to everything!

4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 14, 19, 20 Done

Buy Al's [Aerocad] strakes and you will get 60+ gallons. Fills up the leading edges. has a taller profile, and there a bermuda triangle inside each one included at no extra charge.

The outcome is much more volume capacity.

Self confessed Wingnut.

Now think about it...wouldn't you rather LIVE your life, rather than watch someone else's, on Reality T.V.?

Get up off that couch!!! =)

Progress; Fuselage on all three, with outside and inside nearly complete. 8 inch extended nose. FHC done. Canard finished. ERacer wings done with blended winglets. IO540 starting rebuild. Mounting Spar. Starting strake ribs.

Lets move on to fuel tanks, am I maxxed out at 54 gallons or is there a way to build in more capacity?

Depends on how much more you want. I used the AeroCad prefab strakes, and ended up with about 58 gallons if I fill it to the tippy-top. Don't let it warm up, though - I'll lose 3 gallons out the vent.

You can move the inner ribs inboard and gain probably 5-10 gallons that way, but you lose luggage space in the strakes. You also move your CG forward a bit - may or may not be a large issue - probably not much.

You can use baggage pods as fuel tanks - Mike Melvill did that for his round the world flight with his L.E. You can probably add 10-20 gallons that way for a COZY MKIV.

All this presupposes that the 1000 NM range of the COZY with stock tanks is somehow not enough - that's 6-7 hours in the air.

How about those observation windows- lower cabin to floor, you know like on a Jet Ranger. And before any one be-rates me to say how stupid I am- I just think it would be cool to see down/ with out seeing strakes.

Many folks have installed windows in the bottom surface of the strakes so that rear seat folks can see downward. No problem. Klaus Savier has windows in the lower sides of his VE for downward vision. You could do that in a COZY in the front, but it would take some judicious thinking about what to do with the armrests, torque tube, and controls. Personally, I don't think it would help with visibility much - it's pretty simple to bank 20 degrees, look straight down, and then level out.

I think I'm in this "wake up and smell the coffee" phase myself at the moment. My "good" ideas have done a great deal to slow me down, cost me money, and create parts I've needed to scrap.

Boy, I agree completely.

The year before I bought plans, I was going to have retracts FOR SURE! , Forward hinged canopy, longer nose, 3" wider fuse, (and I have this set of bulkheads to prove it), etc......

Now that I am two years into the build, at chapter 14 (by way of postponing ch. 13 for now), I have done a lot of rethinking of mods. No way to the retracts, same for the forward hinge canopy. I even have decided that I like the look of the side opening canopy better. I don't want to be building for ten years when others are flying. After all, I AM building it to fly.

I am now concentrating on making my plane very close to plans and adding subtle mods for comfort and such. So far I have moved the seatback 1" back, (daring individual that I am), electric brake, and,...and,... and I used 1/4" thick canard lift tabs.

I will still do the extended strakes, raised turtleback, thinner armrests, shorter thigh support at the front of the seats and the IP leg holes lower at the bottom, electric nose lift. Most of these are becoming the norm now I guess. My panel will be nice with glass and I want a fuel injected, FADEK controlled 360 Lyco-clone engine, and since these are approx. 5 years out, they probably will be available at that time for decent money.

I want a snarky plane, but I want to fly it before I lose my medical. I have taken Chrissy's advice to heart, build it "as close" to plans as possible, and FLY!

Kraig

I don't want to be building for ten years when others are flying. After all, I AM building it to fly.

There is a simple way around this. Work on the plane.

There is no substitute for the time you are sanding, shaping, glassing etc.

I talk with guys in my EAA chapter and here who are taking a long time and I think it comes down to one thing: Time on Task.

I'm averaging a chapter per month and the last two weeks I have been concentrating more on getting my shop moved to my basement for the winter build months than actually working on the plane.

TWO WEEKS of no building and I'm starting to get a little cranky.

I already have several mods completed in the build since I started so I think that modifications/customizations are not the real holdup in most builds. Besides, if it takes an additional 10 hours to do a mod during the initial build, how long will it take to retrofit the same.

Another time saver: CG Products. I don't want to be a metals expert. I'd rather fly than weld (especially when you consider how much time it would take me to learn to do it at this level.:( )

I'm going with the retracts and since it is not a retrofit, the time cost is not significant.

I'm also going to build in the blended winglets but since I have not built chapters 19 & 20 the impact should be minimal.

WORK ON THE PLANE!

I love it when I read where someone has decided to lose 15 lbs to justify more fuel. I'm losing weight since I started my project simply because I'm in the shop working on the plane, not eating.

Mods are not the enemy in my opinion, it's the time away from the build. For me, I believe the mods are more of a motivator than a hinderance. But then again, that's what works for me, not everybody.

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

The constant speed prop?-Guy

About $8-12,000

The IVO electric adjustable prop is a lot less but it is not rated for all engine solutions. A Rotary is smooth enough to run it.

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

STRAKE WINDOWS

Windows in the bottom of the strakes give the GIB a view downward and help reduce some of the claustrophobia.

I don't have any specific photos, but if you look around on my web site, you will find many views of the windows in my strakes.

I notice a couple on this page:

http://www.iflyez.com/LongEZ_Retrofit_DEC_04.shtml

CS Prop

EZs that are equipped with a fixed pitch (FP) props are in almost every case, optimized for cruise speed.

With that said, in almost every case, a fixed pitch prop will show higher cruise speeds then the same plane equipped with a CS prop.

HOWEVER - The CS prop will blow the doors off of any EZ in every other category :-)

Runway Performance - Takeoff and landing on runway lengths or surfaces that would require a flat bed truck for the FP EZ.

Climb Performance - Maximum engine HP can be delivered at all speeds.

Letdown Performance, - Slowing the plane down for descents and landings is easier with the CS.

Cruise optimized for high speeds at lower RPM i.e. I cruise at 165 KIAS at 2300 RPM. With my Great American, I would cruise at 175 KIAS at 2900 RPM.

My MT cost just under $10k, this was complete (including shipping) ready to bolt on, with controller, brush slip ring, etc.

Waiter

F16 performance on a Piper Cub budget

LongEZ, 160hp, MT CS Prop, Downdraft cooling, Full retract

visit: www.iflyez.com

Theres something iffy possibly, about a design, with regards to longevity, that isn't suitable for a smooth running six cylinder Lycombing..but is for a car engine...

MT's tried on Lycombings and not robust...default to auto engine aero conversions.

Flame on.

Self confessed Wingnut.

Now think about it...wouldn't you rather LIVE your life, rather than watch someone else's, on Reality T.V.?

Get up off that couch!!! =)

Progress; Fuselage on all three, with outside and inside nearly complete. 8 inch extended nose. FHC done. Canard finished. ERacer wings done with blended winglets. IO540 starting rebuild. Mounting Spar. Starting strake ribs.

MT's tried on Lycombings and not robust...default to auto engine aero conversions.

I think your referring to the IVO. This is due to the clamping scheme that Ivo uses to retain the blades. Mr Ivo will not sell his prop to you if it is going to be attached to a Lyc on a pusher.

However, There are many canards flying with MTs. Velocity even recommends them on several of their models.

Waiter

F16 performance on a Piper Cub budget

LongEZ, 160hp, MT CS Prop, Downdraft cooling, Full retract

visit: www.iflyez.com

Yes, cost is a big factor.

Take someone who is running a Rotary.

It runs smooth enough to drive the IVO prop .

$3000.00 for the PRSU

$2400.00 for the inflight adjustable prop

Change the requirement to a constant speed prop:

$6000.00 for the Mistral PRSU to drive the prop via oil pressure

$8-12000.00 for the prop

That $8-12k difference would pay for my engine and then some.

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

Yes, cost is a big factor.

Take someone who is running a Rotary.

It runs smooth enough to drive the IVO prop .

$3000.00 for the PRSU

$2400.00 for the inflight adjustable prop

Change the requirement to a constant speed prop:

$6000.00 for the Mistral PRSU to drive the prop via oil pressure

$8-12000.00 for the prop

That $8-12k difference would pay for my engine and then some.

That figure can be brought down somewhat by using Tracy's gearbox @ around 3K and an electric prop from MT.

Additionally Jan Eggenfellner has a Quinti hub (electric) with Sensenich blades. I don't know if this is usable in a pusher, however.

I Canardly contain myself!

Rich :D

That figure can be brought down somewhat by using Tracy's gearbox @ around 3K and an electric prop from MT.

Additionally Jan Eggenfellner has a Quinti hub (electric) with Sensenich blades. I don't know if this is usable in a pusher, however.

Yeah, the RWS PRSU (Tracy's) cannot run a conventional constant speed prop so you need to either go fixed, electric or ground adjustable.

Hmmmm.... as a matter of fact, I have to stop by the UPS store on my way home to pick up MY prsu from Tracy. :banana:

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

I'm in the prebuild process, and as such, I'm starting this thread to get the most complete list of mods possible. What are mods you builders installing, or planning to install? I'm hopeing to compile all suitable mods before hand, so I can make all necissary notes to my plans/manual.

Theres this page of mods for the Cozy MK-IV.

http://canardaviationwiki.dmt.net/wiki/index.php/Cozy_MK-IV_Modifications

Do feel free to add sections at will. Do not be concerned about typographical errors or formatting. There are many less experienced/qualified folks who just lurrrrrve to add formatting and pictures to your quality text, so jump right in. Making Wiki pages is *fun*.

No, it's not my Wiki - I just like to work on it. ;)

S

Do feel free to add sections at will.

I would suggest that it is useful to qualify mods listed in the wiki into two groups, flying, and unproven (that is, any mod who's examples haven't cleared their initial flight testing). Preferably, flying mods should list the registration number/s it's flying on (in those instances where it's not so common as to be routine (eg, electric nose lift).

Craig K.

Cozy IV #1457

building chapter seven!

http://www.maddyhome.com/canardpages/pages/chasingmars/index.html

[snip]the information on that page should be presented in tabular format with additional columns to assist with qualifying the modification, somehow.

I haven't done that for these reasons ;

1.) ALL BUILDERS will qualify their own set of mods - wouldn't you ?

2.) The Wiki (or any document for that matter) does not preset facts - merely opinion! No person in their right mind is going to take facts(sic) from any one unqualified source (regardless of what authoritative manner it is presented in, or who the person says they are) and then ride their ass around the sky it.. would you ?

3.) Liability - if the Wiki presents 'facts' then the authors will have to stand by them, and then no one will contribute.. would you ?

4.) If you particularly concur, or dislike any particular page, then edit it attaching a section explaining why, and digitally sign it. Failing this, maybe digitally sign a mod that *you* fly.

In any case, if you have something to say on any mod, then lets see you edit a page. You, or any person can make any changes, including deleting whole sections. so go hard.

S