Berkut Kit

tonyslongez

O.K. Where was I? aah Yes. So I had the aileron molds welded up out of 6061 T6. I made them wide enough so that I could build both the left and the right.

Pic 1) Here is the aileron sitting in the mold. the forward portion of the aileron is positioned at 70.deg

Pic 2) Here is the aileron mold. I'll need to polish the mold before I make a set of ailerons in it.

Pic 3) Here is the bottom of the mold where it was welded. I beveled the front edge at 45 deg. then had the trough filled.

Pic 4) This is the bottom skin of the aileron. As you can see this mold will make the top and the bottom. Dale and I will be doing some layups this week.

post-1222-141090168796_thumb.jpg

post-1222-141090168808_thumb.jpg

post-1222-141090168821_thumb.jpg

post-1222-141090168833_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...

Tony,

I hope your previous post was in Jest or Possibly frustration...

I have enjoyed the entirety of this thread and have wanted a Berkut for years, I am a year or two away from activly persuing my dream at this time.

Family Ilnneses and deaths the past couple of years have drained my resources, but hopefully the hunt will begin anew..;)

Have you progresed any further on your kit, or ??

I am new to this forum, but not new to aviation.

Started Flying when I was 15, soloed on my 16th birthday, etc etc...:D

Also been a Certified Tech. A&P for over 25 yrs...

I really DO Admire Craftsmanship.. And you have put in the work on this one...:envy:

Past job was Quality Control Inspector for Bombardier Aerospace...

• 2 months later...

Drew I was going to get rid of it but decided that I would just finish it instead. I'll start posting soon.

Lynn

I'll be using the tapered roller bearings

they do work but the ball bearings are simpler and do not have to be adjusted for preload the ball bearing have built in preload and are a lot lighter in weight. the ones I used are 5/16" id single row sealed ball bearings.

Evolultion Eze RG -a two place side by side-200 Knots on 200 HP. A&P / pilot for over 30 years

O.K. is preloading really an issue? I think ball bearings are not as good as the tapered bearings for this application, the tapered bearings handle the side loads better, and I think, and (could be wrong) but don't ball bearings have a much smaller contact patch than the roller bearings? I don't think I would use ball bearings. Consequently all of the landing gear components that I have collected in the last ten years, not a single one has a ball bearing in it anywhere, mostly just bushings. (with the obvius exception of the Berkut which I have replaced the ball bearings with bushings.

Tony

O.K. is preloading really an issue? I think ball bearings are not as good as the tapered bearings for this application, the tapered bearings handle the side loads better, and I think, and (could be wrong) but don't ball bearings have a much smaller contact patch than the roller bearings? I don't think I would use ball bearings. Consequently all of the landing gear components that I have collected in the last ten years, not a single one has a ball bearing in it anywhere, mostly just bushings. (with the obvius exception of the Berkut which I have replaced the ball bearings with bushings.

Tony

the load on these bearings are not that high. taper roller will work but are big overkill I weighed the taper rollers that wilhemson uses and they are almost a pound compared to the ball bearings which weigh about the same as a quarter. the reason to change is that the bushings get worn and you get wobble on the nose gear strut and this has been known to cause wheel shimmy. The bushings do work , for awhile, the small ball bearing seem to be better as I have used them for 400 hours with out any sign of wear changing the bushings to another bearing is not worth doing if you are going to add pounds to the aircraft.

Evolultion Eze RG -a two place side by side-200 Knots on 200 HP. A&P / pilot for over 30 years

Lynn (Evolultion Eze RG -a two place side by side-200 Knots on 200 HP. A&P / pilot for over 30 years )

Are you out there Lynn? Any answers? Can you give me anymore details as to how you determind the loads for the nose gear. What bearings are you using exactly?

Tony

Sorry Skiing comes before airplanes. i will have to check on the bearing numbers I used. and the engineering was done by a retired Space shuttle engineer and he calc'd the loads and spec'd the bearings for me. and I guess he was right as they seem to work just fine. he said the bearing could take the load and the 5/16" bolt would shear before the bearing would break but the ng 30 would be the first thing to go if the loading was exceeded. he said the bolt and bearing has about ten times the strength of the NG 30

Fair enough. I like it. I'll consult my engineering friends as well to see if they concur. I f they do I will make them using a ball bearing. I think the NG-6 could be re-machined to be lighter as well.

Tony

we also have an SS spacer between the bearings that is .015" smaller then the bore in the casting between the bearing recesses, so even if the bearing was to fail the gear would still pivot but with some play. the bearings are still holding up even after breaking a nose fork and loosing the nose wheel. my fork and fork pivot are now made of billet 7075 alum. the stock long ez fork has been known to break even on some light long ez's.

• 5 years later...

The last activity on this thread was six years ago next month.

Now, nothing much happens on TheZone these days, but ...

1. Did Tony ever finish his Berkut project? Did it fly?

2. Whatever happened to "Canard Gear" the website offering the retractable gear, molded fuselage,

and various Berkut/LongEZ accessories? Is the RG mod available? All we get is a 404.

3. Where's Tony? Hope he's in good health, alive and well in Vegas ...

Don't know the status of the project/kit that Tony's been working on but I do know that there will be a new kit offering at Oshkosh 2016.

They intend to have a flying aircraft there and will fabricate one entire kit there on the grounds over a 4 day period.

How's that for real? 

T Mann - Loooong-EZ/20B Infinity R/G Chpts 18

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

We add rocket's to everything!

4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 14, 19, 20 Done

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hopefully they take pricing into consideration in their business model. In my opinion the only way a two-place, recreational, home-built kit can be successful is to make it affordable to the masses.

Looking forward to it.

Don't know the status of the project/kit that Tony's been working on but I do know that there will be a new kit offering at Oshkosh 2016.

They intend to have a flying aircraft there and will fabricate one entire kit there on the grounds over a 4 day period.

How's that for real?