Berkut Kit

tonyslongez

the layup is wrong.Tony

This is kind of scary, as it begs the question of how do you know the layups were right (or is just about everything pre-manufactured in the kit)

Have you considered doing a set of core drilling and burn testing to determine the actual layups used for any of the original owner's glass layups?

Craig K.

Cozy IV #1457

building chapter seven!

http://www.maddyhome.com/canardpages/pages/chasingmars/index.html

I'd say the transformer was either a weight to hold something down while curing or it was planned to build a DIY power supply for the strobes.

Raiki

Could've been either way. Whatever the intention it's not going in this airplane.

I hope that you will post a lot of pictures. You are doing a great job so far. So keep going and keep posting.

We keep our fingers crossed.

Mak

Thanks buddy. I'll keep posting so you guys/gals can see how this restoration is going to play out. Not to mention just how much support you really need for a project like this.

This is kind of scary, as it begs the question of how do you know the layups were right (or is just about everything pre-manufactured in the kit)

Have you considered doing a set of core drilling and burn testing to determine the actual layups used for any of the original owner's glass layups?

No, It's fine. I'm redoing the hand layups that are called out in the plans that you as the builder have to do. These layups (though they need to be done correctly) are not critical like the spar. The wings and canard that he layed up went into the trash. A new set of wings and canard will be built next month in a hanger. All I'm doing is replacing everything that is not factory on this kit. Everytihing else is essentially factory new.

Tony

Tony,

Sounds like you are making all the right choices. Your aeroplane will be fine.

Keep up the tempo, and all the best with your project.

Plenty of help out there. Richard is a good resource. I may be able to help in places also.

Cheers

Cheers,

Wayne Blackler

IO-360 Long EZ

VH-WEZ (N360WZ)

Melbourne, AUSTRALIA

http://v2.ez.org/feature/F0411-1/F0411-1.htm

Longez360

Thanks. I'll keep posting. You guys can help me along. I sure appreciate it.

Tony

More Pics

Pic 1) New "A" kit

Pic 2) Home Depot conduit removed

Pic 3) It's hard to see but he used silicone on the back side of the conduit. The silicone is now embedded in the

fiberglass. Does anyone know how to remove silicone without damaging the glass?

Pic 4) This is the back of the front face closeout. I have alot more micro to remove, then I can redo this section of the spar

this section is ready for the new layup

post-1222-141090156817_thumb.jpg

post-1222-14109015682_thumb.jpg

post-1222-141090156822_thumb.jpg

post-1222-141090156825_thumb.jpg

1: Soak some rags in ordinary gasoline

B: Lay them on the silicone

III) cover them with Saran wrap

a' - let sit overnight.

In the morning the silicone will have swelled and become kind of like Jello. At that point you can scrape it off, and lightly sand what remains.

On the inside face of the aft sheer web you shouldn't sand too vigerously - doin't cut any fibers - but you wont have to bond anything to that face, so if a little silicone gets left behind that's all right.

I wasn't going to post these pics, I was suffering from post tramatic syndrome:sad: But in the spirit of building here they are. I remember meeting a gentleman at the airport some time ago who was resurrecting an old airplane. He had to make several new parts from old pieces of aluminum. He even had to, remove good pieces of aluminum to replace old ones. I only mention this because I had to think about him alot to do what I had to do. So what you are about to see may shock you but in the end had to be done. You will quickly realize that my evaluation of the work that was performed on this airplane in the begining of this build was spot on. This kinda work would've very easily have killed me and possibly others.:yikes: So here we go.

Pic 1) Spar removed

Pic 2) Where I placed the spar on the garage floor as I was picking up my jaw

pic 3) This is what prompted this whole mess. Notice the micro fill on this side of the spar

Pic 4) This is the micro on the other side of the spar see the differenc?

Pic 5) After chopping the foam and fiberglass away from firewall that was still attached to the spar

I noticed that it didn't sound right, as I was removing foam. As I suspected AIR lots of it

The spar wasn't floxed to the firewall at all. See Dave was smart when he designed this airplane

all you have to do is flox the spar right to the firewall and that sets the incidence of the spar, at the same time all you have to do is lign up the centerlines on your spar with the centerline of the firewall. Well obviously that didn't happen

and now I'm left with removing the spar out of the back of the airplane. Scary part is The guy tried to use micro to attach the spar in place (good news for me as it was easy to sand it all off)

post-1222-1410901569_thumb.jpg

post-1222-141090156903_thumb.jpg

post-1222-141090156905_thumb.jpg

post-1222-141090156908_thumb.jpg

post-1222-14109015691_thumb.jpg

Here are more pics of the days events.

Pic 1) Here is the micro under the firewall notice most of it pooled to the bottom of the spar

Pic 2) This is my buddy Dale. Now Dale was all fired up about cutting this spar out. He didn't trust the other guy either.

Dale is amazing at fiberglass work this is the guy you want in your corner when things with glass go wrong. Dale used to build Unlimited Hydroplanes. He is more than quilified to fix bad glass layups.

Pic 3) I removed all of the layups that held the aluminum plates to the spar. Good thing I did too, because most of the layups where carbon right on the aluminum. No fiberglass barrier. BTW it may be hard to see here but when Dale was done with the spar it looked like nothing ever happend to it. It looked polished UNBELIEVABLE what this guy can do.

Pic 4) I removed the other engine mount layup. I'm replacing the firewall so this was very easy to remove.

Pic 5) This is the same mount only flipped over so you can see the bottom. Notice that there is no layup here. That is raw wood there was no lyup to hold the mount to the fuse from the bottom.

Just so we are clear. This process came from a higher authority. I didn't just do this on my own. This was the only way that we could figure out how to correct the spar misalignment.

post-1222-141090157161_thumb.jpg

post-1222-141090157164_thumb.jpg

post-1222-141090157167_thumb.jpg

post-1222-141090157169_thumb.jpg

post-1222-141090157172_thumb.jpg

Tony,

I haven't ever seen a set of instructions for a Berkut kit, and I was wondering if the instructions include a narrative to go along with the diagrams? It seems the previous builder had no guidance at all with this plane.

Most of us builders here worry about getting layups just right, proper preparation for the layup, neat edges and minimized air bubbles. The plans teach this approach. But your Berkut is missing ALOT of the work! Do the Berkut "plans" teach how to build the kit similar to the Rutan method?

Andrew Anunson

I work underground and I play in the sky... no problem

Do the Berkut "plans" teach how to build the kit similar to the Rutan method?

I believe yes course the Berkut kit consisted a lot of materials like plans, manuals and even videos how to assemble the kit. But it looks like some people are just unteachable.

like for example

Good thing I did too, because most of the layups where carbon right on the aluminum. No fiberglass barrier

He (previous owner) didnt know even this.

Mak

He (previous owner) didnt know even this.

The video goes into great detail about insulationg the aluminum from the carbon fiber.

My opinion is he never looked at the instructions.

Right project ....... wrong builder.

T Mann - Loooong-EZ/20B Infinity R/G Chpts 18

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

We add rocket's to everything!

4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 14, 19, 20 Done

macleodm3

Yeah, this kit has a very exstensive video collection guiding the builder all the way thru the build. What could be better than watching the guy who designed the kit, show you how to build it right on your T.V.?

But like T-mann said. I don't think the guy watched even one video. Not one single thing was done correctly. Now I'm forced to go back and redo everything to make it right. OH WELL! I love the work:irked:

Tony

Here are a couple of pics. This is all I had time for before the trick or treaters got here.

Pic 1) I've removed all of the inside layups. I'll have Dale do the clean up on this tomorrow. I'll make the inserts for the holes and epoxy the new plates in place. time to fire up the lathe.:D

Pic 2) Just another shot of the layups that have been cleaned out.

post-1222-14109015725_thumb.jpg

post-1222-141090157257_thumb.jpg

O.K. today Dale and I went at it for a good 8hrs. Here is what we accomplished.

Pic 1) Here is the rear of the fuse. As you can see, the lower portion of the firewall has been removed.

Pic 2) I removed what was left of the engine mounts.

Pic 3) I was very carefull not to sand the micro that the firewall buts up against. I also made several referance marks to insure that the new firewall is placed exactly as the previous one was. I still have to chip away some of the old epoxy

Pic 4) Dale is removing the rest of the forward face closeout. If you remember I cut this piece at an angle thinking I was going to reinstall it.

After careful consideration, I decided to make a new spar face instead of trying to salvage the old one. This will allow me to clean up the spar entirely

without having to worry about the old layup.

Pic 5) Here is the spar all cleaned up and ready for the new spar face closeout.

Tony

post-1222-141090157298_thumb.jpg

post-1222-141090157301_thumb.jpg

post-1222-141090157304_thumb.jpg

post-1222-141090157306_thumb.jpg

post-1222-141090157309_thumb.jpg

Tony,

I think that there actually all building. I personally have just procured a vintage design, a Q200 as it turns out I would be building too if I didn't have to schedual a trip to Cal to pick it up. You are not a nut job, well not totally.

I mean outside of building an airplane in your garage. I have done a bunch of fixet stuff, and there ain't no way in hell I would fly that thing with what you've shown us. So, KUDOS for not taking any short cuts. I would have done the same thing, Especially if I intended to put a 540 on it.

-Guy

I think that there actually all building.

I don't know about that Guy. Look how many views there are. I'm not getting alot of response. I'm not complaining. I just relly enjoy comments on my posts good or bad, it gives me something to do at work when I'm bored.

there ain't no way in hell I would fly that thing with what you've shown us. So, KUDOS for not taking any short cuts. I would have done the same thing, Especially if I intended to put a 540 on it.

Well I'm not going to put a 540 on it. After talking with John A. and Dave R. they both agreed that an Io360 is the better way to go. John said "If I had to do it all over again I'll put the 360 on it". So I'm going with the 360.

This week we should see a dramatic transformation. I'll be installing the new firewall and bulkheads. I'll then follow the videos for installing the spar. Then I believe it's off to the wings.:D

Tony

Richard

Not at this point. I haven't done the inventory. I'm still in recovery mode. I'll start the inventory list this week and see what is there and what isn't.

I do have the inventory sheets for the A,B,C, kits. Everything has been checked off by the manufacturer but obviuosly. I have to go back and double check to see exactly what I have.

Tony