Berkut Kit

tonyslongez

Tony

The tapes used on the forward bulkhead, is that epoxy or has he used Resorcinol as it looks a lot like the colour of that glue that we used in the old building out of trees days (Corby Starlet).

Adrian Smart

Cozy IV #1453

Well it looks like some sort of epoxy it's hard as hell that is for sure. I think what's going to happen at this point is the sawsall is coming out to play :D I'm going to just cut these bulkheads out of the airplane and start over the biggest problem will be the engine mounts and spar.:sad: John will be here thursday to go over the spar with me he seems to think it's O.K. the way it is but I'm not so convinced. Maybe I can get Dave out this way to take a look at it and see what he can come up with.

Tony

That's the color of the old SafeTPoxy/Epolite - Hexcel 2410/2183, that was the standard structural resin we shipped in those days. Today I'd used Gougeon Pro-Set.

Get a Fein multi-master and a HSS vibrating blade. Also a broad wood chisel, and a ball peen hammer to tap it. A lot of those tapes will peel off if you get a chisel under them.

But I agree - an awful lot needs to be stripped down and redone.

O.K. here how things are progressing thus far.

Pic 1) Most of the old layup has been removed and the bulkhead cut away from the fuse.

Pic 2) Bulkhead removed.

Pic 3) you can see the cut lines in the bulkhead that where not followed at all. Probably would've been able to

cut them with a dremel but it's hard to make a straight cut with a dremel tool. These should've been

trimmed prior to install.

Pic 4) Sanded down what was left of the old layups. I was very careful not to go to much into the fuse glass.

Pic 5) OOPS! have to be careful with those roloc disc sanders they chew thru layups in a blink of an eye.

this is a small circle about 1.5" Dia quick Bid fix. No problem.

Moving on to the most forward bulkhead, which was shoved into the nose so far that it broke the bulkhead.( I swear this guy was drunk when he did all this "work".)

Tony

post-1222-141090156717_thumb.jpg

post-1222-14109015672_thumb.jpg

post-1222-141090156722_thumb.jpg

post-1222-141090156725_thumb.jpg

post-1222-141090156727_thumb.jpg

I swear this guy was drunk when he did all this "work".)

I had the same feelings when I saw his "layup". I think 4 year old kid could've done this better (personal feeling). Thanks for sharing your progress pictures with us.:D Looks like you doing well. Keep going:D

Btw Did you make these hinges? If yes could you post some pictures I wonder how they look.

Mak

Perhaps he just chomped on some flox and micro, drank a bunch of resin, chased it with some hardener, and sh*t it out his a$$ in the general direction.

Sorry... I shouldn't have said that. :o

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

John

Thanks for the kind words. This airplane is my passion. Unfortunately when the kit was available I couldn't come up with $48,000. I'll take her anyway I can get her.

Mak790

This guy definately did some strange things. The scariest part is that he claims to be an A&P and an AI:scared: . He may know how to turn a wrench, but he can't build an airplane, that's for sure.

The instrument panel layup is actually O.K. so I'll leave that one allone. That is unless John thinks I should take it out. He mentioned the seat back

may be to far reclined. I'll check it against his seat back and see where it sits before I take it out. I started sanding on the wings They may be O.K. as well but there is a strange droop in the wings about 3/4 of the way down on both wings. I don't know if that is supposed to be that way but they are both the same it allmost looks like the foam wasn't alligned properly.

Good news I just got off the phone with Dave R. he found me a new A Kit so I will be laying up new wings and canard for this airplane. So no other work will be performed on the old wings.:thumbsup:

Pic 1) The right wing with alot of not so easy to sand "micro" it's more like slurry

Pic 2) Another shot of the mess that is these wings.

Pic 3) Forward most bulkhead is now removed. Fuse is ready for the new bulkheads

post-1222-141090156734_thumb.jpg

post-1222-141090156736_thumb.jpg

post-1222-141090156739_thumb.jpg

More progress

pic 1) After talking with Dave R. it was agreed that I remove the out board wing attach plate and replace it only

rather than digging out all the plates. This is really the only one that is bad enough to replace.

Pic 2) Here is the spar with the uni layup removed. I was extremely careful not to sand anywhere close to the

glass in the spar. All the excess epoxy and BONDO has been removed.

Pic 3) Here is the joggle in the wing that is causing me so much concern. The gap between straight edg and the leading

edge is where the wing is set back. cosequently that is roughly how much the wing is drooping right at that joggle

both wing are identical it's like one half of the wing was sanded and the other wasn't then when it was layed up

the last part of the wing moved in the jig causing a major shift in the last section of foam. Very Strange

Pic 4,5) More pics of the wing mess.

Waht really suxs is that I have to layup new wings all over again as if the Long Ez wings weren't enough. After seeing this drunks work, I did a damn good job on my Long Ez.

Tony

post-1222-141090156744_thumb.jpg

post-1222-141090156746_thumb.jpg

post-1222-141090156749_thumb.jpg

post-1222-141090156751_thumb.jpg

post-1222-141090156754_thumb.jpg

More progress

Pic 1) Started the removal of the side arm rests notice the front seat bulkhead is still attached (not for long)

Pic 2) SEE!! front seat bulkhead gone. Unfortunately I couldn't save it even with the fein saw, that was as close

as I could get to the side's and floor.

Pic 3) still removing old fiberglass

Pic 4) O.k this one is really funny! notice one sandng line is at a 45deg angle and notice the other

line is vertical. Well here is the funny part. The Drunk F-ing A-hole glued the front seat bulkhead in the

fuse initially straight up and down. He removed it and reattached the bulkhead at a 45deg angle

which is to far back. Now I'm cleaning up old epoxy layups there as well ( Stay positive! Breathe Tony. At least I

have a Berkut)

This is the last of the bulkheads that have to be removed THANK GOD!! Now on to the engine mount dissaster.

OBTW if you don't have a Fein saw I highly recommend you get one WOW!! what a saw.

Tony

post-1222-14109015678_thumb.jpg

post-1222-141090156782_thumb.jpg

post-1222-141090156785_thumb.jpg

post-1222-141090156787_thumb.jpg

OBTW if you don't have a Fein saw I highly recommend you get one WOW!! what a saw.

Yeah, I was wondering if I could justify it cost wise. After I started using it I could understand why everyone raves about it.

Not only does it cut glass fast and clean ....... but it doesn't cut ME! :D

T Mann - Loooong-EZ/20B Infinity R/G Chpts 18

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

We add rocket's to everything!

4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 14, 19, 20 Done

I challenge the Tin riveters to correct a fuselage in anywhere near the time you will have into this. Its a lot of work, but a whole different ballgame than our Tin preferring EAA fellows. Actually apples and oranges.

BTW- Did you say this guy was a mechanic?

Self confessed Wingnut.

Now think about it...wouldn't you rather LIVE your life, rather than watch someone else's, on Reality T.V.?

Get up off that couch!!! =)

Progress; Fuselage on all three, with outside and inside nearly complete. 8 inch extended nose. FHC done. Canard finished. ERacer wings done with blended winglets. IO540 starting rebuild. Mounting Spar. Starting strake ribs.

BTW- Did you say this guy was a mechanic?

Oh yeah "Mechanic" sure :scared: at this point I should have the fuse corrected entirely tomorrow. I have alot of friends coming over to help me get it ready for the new bulkheads. I should have the bulkheads in by next week. I'll pick the wings and canard up this weekend in california. The whole thing should be as good as new here pretty soon.

:thumbsup:

Tony

Usually the last words you hear before a guy unbuilds his kit is:

"Hey guys, watch this"

:D CHrissi

Yeah! Followed by the sound of a chairsaw firing up! :bad:

I have a feeling Tony's new bird is going to turn out much better than if the original builder had done a fine job from the outset and nothing needed to be fixed. He probably would have kept it and Tony would still be looking. I think at some point down the road all the crappy prelim work that was done will prove to be a silver lining in the bigger picture. I'd cut the poor guy some slack from here and focus more on what's right about all the work its going to take to get this beast up and boring holes. This is an exciting project to watch, I'm looking forward to seeing it completed. Need to back read this thread now, if it hasn't been brought up already, what's the disposition of Tony's original Long-EZ going to be?

Good morning everyone! :cool:

Hat

Airspeed is Life -

:cool: - Having lots of it

is Better!

Usually the last words you hear before a guy unbuilds his kit is:

"Hey guys, watch this"

:D CHrissi

I suspect Chrissi's approach is much faster too ... what's the phrase? "Controlled flight into terrain". Much more difficult to get flying again ... I think I prefer Tony's "hard work" method. Keep it up, I'm jealous.

Tony, you should be proud. You're the only guy I know who is currently 'un-building' a kit. You wont find that process in any homebuilding FAQ. Your one a kind.

Raiki

your not kidding brother. I have to say though the neat thing is, I'm kinda reverse engineering as I go. Alot of this stuff will find it's way into the Long Ez as well

I think at some point down the road all the crappy prelim work that was done will prove to be a silver lining in the bigger picture

Hatswitch

I couldn't agree more at first I was really bummed, and I lashed out against Walt publicly and that was wrong. I really thought I just spent alot of money on a boat anchor and my anger got the best of me not to mention He wasn't exactly being truthful with me about the condition of the kit, but hey! he was doing what he could to sell it and I can't fault him for that.

what's the disposition of Tony's original Long-EZ going to be?

Well, I sold that to a friend of mine that has been helping me build the thing for some time now. I gave him a great deal he's happy and so am I. We're going to get the Berkut up and runnnig first then finish the Long Ez.

I think I prefer Tony's "hard work" method. Keep it up, I'm jealous

Satch

Thanks for the support I think it's great to have you guys support me on this one. What ever you guys want to know about a Berkut now is the time to start asking. We will be moving very quickly. I'm shooting for this time next year to have the engine ready to be mounted.

Pic 1) John Andrejeski and I are framing the stands that will hold the fuse level these are bondo'd to the floor.

Pic 2) completed frame for the front

Pic 3) completed frame for the rear

Pic 4) In the box of Berkut parts I was going thru. I found this, It's a door bell. Now I looked all thru the plans

and I can't find where the door bell goes on this airplane. I better call Dave and ask him why I need a door bell on

my airplane.

Pic 5) Lets see how good you guys are. Can anyone tell me what is wrong with this Picture?

post-1222-141090156792_thumb.jpg

post-1222-141090156795_thumb.jpg

post-1222-141090156797_thumb.jpg

post-1222-1410901568_thumb.jpg

post-1222-141090156803_thumb.jpg

Are you sure it's a doorbell? It looks like a transformer to me. Not that I can think of anyplace a transformer would go, either. It sure wasn't in the kit when we shipped it to Walt.

Pic 5 -

the shorter list is "What isn't wrong?"

It's got fiberglass

And epoxy.

And I think I see some foam core in there.

So Tony, are you building these from cores or skins?

T-Mann

these are the foam core wings.

Are you sure it's a doorbell? It looks like a transformer to me. Not that I can think of anyplace a transformer would go, either

Richard.

I don't know what it is, transformer, door bell? It was meant to be funny:ROTFLMAO: trying to make lite of the whole thing.

the shorter list is "What isn't wrong?"

True! Yes, but that isn't what is wrong in Pic 5 keep looking. Besides the holes incorectly drilled and the layup is wrong. I'll give you a hint it has nothing to do with the spar itself. It's staring you right in the face.:o

Tony

Pic 5) Lets see how good you guys are. Can anyone tell me what is wrong with this Picture?

Picture #4. AN screws on the transformer?

Picture #5. The bolt head is missing (Kent fool me!)

Picture #1. Safety glasses, steel toed shoes, ...

Rick

Rick Hall; MK-IV plans #1477; cozy.zggtr.org

Build status: 1-7, bits of 8-9, 10, 14 done! Working on engine/prop/avionics.

If it's not "the outboard bulkhead doesn't meet the forward face of the spar" how about

The thing that looks like a short piece of threaded rod is actually a stack of magnets. They're sticking to the conduit. Which means it's steel. Which means it's EMT from home depot, and weighs about 6 lbs.

I'm reaching here. ;)

The thing that looks like a short piece of threaded rod is actually a stack of magnets. They're sticking to the conduit. Which means it's steel. Which means it's EMT from home depot, and weighs about 6 lbs.

Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding.

Give that man a prize!:D

Here are some more pics.

Pic 1) I fein sawed the front face at an angle. This will create a lip to glue the face back onto when the layup is redone

Pic 2) Front of spar removed. Steel conduit from hardware store still installed. It's hard to see but the layup for the close

out was almost entirely free of epoxy

Pic 3) Steel conduit from hardware store AWSOME!!!!

Pic 4) front spar face removed

Are we having fun yet?????

Tony

post-1222-141090156805_thumb.jpg

post-1222-141090156808_thumb.jpg

post-1222-14109015681_thumb.jpg

post-1222-141090156813_thumb.jpg