mfryer's ride

I can't answer about the 1/4" CLT's, however my guess is that they are beefed up for the cozy.

Some folks believe that they're making their planes safer by using thicker lift tabs on a COZY MKIV, but all they're actually doing is making their plane marginally heavier. The 1/8" lift tabs are more than adequate - none have ever failed.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

G'day

Thanks for the Quick posting. I will be working on them this weekend. It will be my 49th Birthday gift. I will get to work in the hanger after I take my 3 year old son to Gymnastics and my 7 year old daughter to Soccer.

I Palin comparison to hockey moms; I am a soccer dad...

Thanks again for the assistance and guidance.

Jeff

I Palin comparison to hockey moms; I am a soccer dad...

Lipstick? :eek:

NC-3's.

It appears the plans drawing is correct, but the written dimention is not. It should be 2.0": Chap. 11, p.3: On NC-3, change 2.3” to 2.0”. as found on: http://www.cozybuilders.org/newsletters/MKIV_corr_TE.html

Rick

Rick Hall; MK-IV plans #1477; cozy.zggtr.org

Build status: 1-7, bits of 8-9, 10, 14 done! Working on engine/prop/avionics.

Lipstick? :eek:

NC-3's.

It appears the plans drawing is correct, but the written dimention is not. It should be 2.0": Chap. 11, p.3: On NC-3, change 2.3” to 2.0”. as found on: http://www.cozybuilders.org/newsletters/MKIV_corr_TE.html

Rick

Roger that. I made mine to 2.3, so I am going to trim the .3 off. This drawing should be pretty accurate...

NC-3-NC-3a.pdf

Roger that. I made mine to 2.3, so I am going to trim the .3 off. This drawing should be pretty accurate...

This topic got me motivated today, I axe'd up some AL for the lift tabs and hinges a few hours ago :D

Noob Kwestion: You have NC3 and NC3a sketches in the PDF, should I be concerned? I made mine to the NC-3 sketch (minus the hinge pin/bushing hole... for now).

Rick

This topic got me motivated today, I axe'd up some AL for the lift tabs and hinges a few hours ago :D

Noob Kwestion: You have NC3 and NC3a sketches in the PDF, should I be concerned? I made mine to the NC-3 sketch (minus the hinge pin/bushing hole... for now).

Rick

I'm not quite sure I understand the question, however (at least for the Long-EZ) you will need 5 NC-3 and 2 NC-3A.

!!!!! However I do see I made some mistakes. Here is a revised drawing. Please do take my drawings with a grain of salt....

NC-3-NC-3A.pdf

I'm not quite sure I understand the question, however (at least for the Long-EZ) you will need 5 NC-3 and 2 NC-3A.

Never mind. Cozy needs six of something that looks like NC-3. I forgot you were building a Long

Please do take my drawings with a grain of salt....

Educational purposes only! :)

Thanks,

Rick

• 4 weeks later...

The canard glassing is finished (except the elevators and swooshy tips).

I made a frustrating goof. The Roncz plans call for a 1" wide peel ply on the trailing edge. I later (too much later) realized this should have only been applied to 1/2" of the trailing edge. Some considerable damage was inflicted to the top foam to remove the peel ply.

After sleeping on the problem (no, I did not actually sleep on the canard) I masked 1/2" of the bottom trailing edge glass and filled in the damage with micro. All in all the repair went well.

I will begin work on the elevators when some materials arrive from ACS and McMaster Carr.

Posted Image

http://flyingbackward.blogspot.com/

Flying Backward

G'day

Looks pretty good. Thanks for the 1/2" pointer. I would have made the same mistake; only mine would have been 2".

I will be putting mine together next month. I have spent the last three months moving hangers and setting back-up the shop. My wife and kids got four weeks for a trip to Australia and Fiji.

Looks good and thanks again for the pointer. Still looks good.

Jeff

G'day

Looks pretty good. Thanks for the 1/2" pointer. I would have made the same mistake; only mine would have been 2".

I will be putting mine together next month. I have spent the last three months moving hangers and setting back-up the shop. My wife and kids got four weeks for a trip to Australia and Fiji.

Looks good and thanks again for the pointer. Still looks good.

Jeff

Before you do it, take a good look at the pictures at the back of the chapter, and at the drawing in the plans. All you are trying to do is ensure that you have a glass-to-glass bond that is at least 1/2" wide at the trailing edge of the canard. Mine turned out with a little dip on the top surface, but I got a good glass-to-glass bond. After I installed the elevators I filled in the dip with micro and sanded to contour. :cool2:

Phil Kriley

Cozy #1460

Chapter 13 - nose

Right wing done - working on right winglet.

Before you do it, take a good look at the pictures at the back of the chapter, and at the drawing in the plans. All you are trying to do is ensure that you have a glass-to-glass bond that is at least 1/2" wide at the trailing edge of the canard. Mine turned out with a little dip on the top surface, but I got a good glass-to-glass bond. After I installed the elevators I filled in the dip with micro and sanded to contour. :cool2:

I agree that a little over 1/2" would be fine and a little dip is easy to fill. However the full inch of peel ply was very difficult to remove and caused unnecessary damage to the foam.

One other suggestion.... I ordered 10 extra yards of 3" uni tape for the spars and nearly used all of it. Also as usuall the layups took a very long time for me to complete. Defiantly make sure that you have enough material and time before you start and begin early in the day and make sure you don't get tired or rushed. From what I have read, and this makes sense, the canard and especially the elevators require a very good quality workmanship.

• 1 month later...

Hey all. It's been a while since I posted an update here, so....

The elevators are now fully glassed. I am getting ready to order some parts from the CGs soon so I will be able to mount them (no! the elevators you fool!):o .

Posted Image

I have also cleaned up and painted a used worm drive assembly I purchased from a fellow Canard Zone member (thanks!).

Posted Image

Flying Backward

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

the 5.00 -5 have been used by some but they are a bit big for a long ez they are heavy and expensive. they require a big set of wheel pants. the 3.40 tire were used on the early Varieze's but not used much anymore. the tire most use on a long ez and vari eze's is the 4.00-11.00 by 5 lamb tire, lamb sold out to Chin shin a few years ago who still makes the same tire. as you can see they are a bit cheaper then the 500- 5's. about 5 times less. you may want to check with Matco to find out which wheels you have, there is a difference in the wheels used with the different tires. the tube valve stem is in a different position.

On the front we use the 2.80/2.50 by 4 tail wheel tire about an 8" diameter. they cost more the the main tires.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/lgpages/tailwheeltires.php

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/lgpages/lambtires_tubes.php

I need to order some sundries from ACS (brushes, micro, etc). I hate to order just a couple small items because the shipping costs start to add up. So I am going to order my smaller replacement tires as well. They are available in 6 and 8 ply, which are recomended?

• 5 weeks later...

Other the last few months I have been fiddling around with the canard. Finally I have decided to put it away for a while and start the nose gear and nose.

Today I trial fitted the worm gear assy. ng-8 disks and ng-30 plates. I also cut, bent, welded and painted a crank.

More to come when I order the nose gear strut, ng-6 and ng-15 castings.

Cozy girrrl nose wheel is en rout....

Posted Image

Pictures of the progress at

Other the last few months I have been fiddling around with the canard. Finally I have decided to put it away for a while and start the nose gear and nose.

Today I trial fitted the worm gear assy. ng-8 disks and ng-30 plates. I also cut, bent, welded and painted a crank.

More to come when I order the nose gear strut, ng-6 and ng-15 castings.

Cozy girrrl nose wheel is en rout....

Posted Image

Pictures of the progress at

G'day MFryer

Looks very nice. I am about a month or so behind you.

Jeff

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Well today seems to be the day for Long-EZ builders to show there noses....

This weekend my brother assisted me with the shaping of my nose....

Perhaps because my real nose is already somewhat large, I don't feel the need to compensate with a really large aircraft nose. I did however extend the nose about 4" over what the plans call for, unfortunately this did not leave space to move the battery forward so this minor modification is really only cosmetic. I do like the way the nose shape is turning out. I just hope I don't have to kick myself later for not allowing for more forward weight.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Of course there are more images and details on my blog

http://www.flyingbackward.blogspot.com/

my brother assisted me with the shaping of my nose....

Yeah ..... my brother helped me with my nose ....... when we were kids.

It's sort of off to one side of my face as a result.

Excellent progress PTM!

It's amazing to me how many Long-EZs are currently at this same stage.

That pretty much speaks well of the design. 30 years later and folks are still starting Long projects (..... is that a pun? :D )

T Mann - Loooong-EZ/20B Infinity R/G Chpts 18

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

We add rocket's to everything!

4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 14, 19, 20 Done

Fantastic looking nose!!

Very untentpeg like.

The extra 4 inches is sure great to play with and really makes quite a difference.

Self confessed Wingnut.

Now think about it...wouldn't you rather LIVE your life, rather than watch someone else's, on Reality T.V.?

Get up off that couch!!! =)

Progress; Fuselage on all three, with outside and inside nearly complete. 8 inch extended nose. FHC done. Canard finished. ERacer wings done with blended winglets. IO540 starting rebuild. Mounting Spar. Starting strake ribs.

Looks great! It's refreshing to see such a stock build.

Is that urethane foam on the nose? Some people have trouble with the long-term durability of that stuff.

Yes it is. That is the first I have heard about duribility problems (cringe thinking there may be a CP mention of it). Still That doesn't supprise me as the stuff is quite crumbly. If I were to do this again I might consider another type of foam. Quite easy to shape though.

Yes it is. That is the first I have heard about duribility problems (cringe thinking there may be a CP mention of it). Still That doesn't supprise me as the stuff is quite crumbly. If I were to do this again I might consider another type of foam. Quite easy to shape though.

Hey Martin,

If you really would like to do all that work again, I have some extra blue foam(wing foam), if you'd like I could bring enough with me for that nose job when I come to Arlington. It's just taking up extra space in my shed, it's yours if you want it. I can toss it in the back of my truck, I'll charge you a Pepsi for the handling and shipping. :)

Bruce

Best regards,

Bruce Sturgill

http://www.pursuitofflight.com

Hey Martin,

If you really would like to do all that work again, I have some extra blue foam(wing foam), if you'd like I could bring enough with me for that nose job when I come to Arlington. It's just taking up extra space in my shed, it's yours if you want it. I can toss it in the back of my truck, I'll charge you a Pepsi for the handling and shipping. :)

Bruce

Thanks, but I think I will take my chances with the urethane. It was fun shapping the nose and canopy frame, but not so fun that I would do it again. If you do come up to Arlington, i'll throw in the Pepsi for free, I understand the some of the local Olympia EAA folks will have an RV or two with ice you can keep it cool in.