mfryer's ride

After much hand wringing and head scratching I finally have the wheels mounted . A little more work on the landing break and I can finally move on the the next chapter.

Thanks everyone for input on mounting the wheels. As you can see in the photo there are some washers on the axle bolts that that do not belong. I will order shorter blots and do away with the washers then they arrive.

Looks great, big mile stone. but why the big fat 5.00 -5 tires they are a bit to big for a long. they need very big wheel pants that cause lots of drag.

Evolultion Eze RG -a two place side by side-200 Knots on 200 HP. A&P / pilot for over 30 years

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After much hand wringing and head scratching I finally have the wheels mounted . A little more work on the landing break and I can finally move on the the next chapter.

Thanks everyone for input on mounting the wheels. As you can see in the photo there are some washers on the axle bolts that that do not belong. I will order shorter blots and do away with the washers then they arrive.

Looks great, big mile stone. but why the big fat 5.00 -5 tires they are a bit to big for a long. they need very big wheel pants that cause lots of drag.

Hmmmm... Lets see here.... Plans call for.. you are correct. 3.40x5 tire.

Perhaps if someone who knows where I can find a pair I will give them a good deal on some 5.00x5s

Perhaps if someone who knows where I can find a pair I will give them a good deal on some 5.00x5s

the 5.00 -5 have been used by some but they are a bit big for a long ez they are heavy and expensive. they require a big set of wheel pants. the 3.40 tire were used on the early Varieze's but not used much anymore. the tire most use on a long ez and vari eze's is the 4.00-11.00 by 5 lamb tire, lamb sold out to Cheng Shin a few years ago who still makes the same tire. as you can see they are a bit cheaper then the 500- 5's. about 5 times less

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/lgpages/lambtires_tubes.php

Evolultion Eze RG -a two place side by side-200 Knots on 200 HP. A&P / pilot for over 30 years

the 5.00 -5 have been used by some but they are a bit big for a long ez they are heavy and expensive. they require a big set of wheel pants. the 3.40 tire were used on the early Varieze's but not used much anymore. the tire most use on a long ez and vari eze's is the 4.00-11.00 by 5 lamb tire, lamb sold out to Chin shin a few years ago who still makes the same tire. as you can see they are a bit cheaper then the 500- 5's. about 5 times less. you may want to check with Matco to find out which wheels you have, there is a difference in the wheels used with the different tires. the tube valve stem is in a different position.

On the front we use the 2.80/2.50 by 4 tail wheel tire about an 8" diameter. they cost more the the main tires.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/lgpages/tailwheeltires.php

the 5.00 -5 have been used by some but they are a bit big for a long ez they are heavy and expensive. they require a big set of wheel pants. the 3.40 tire were used on the early Varieze's but not used much anymore. the tire most use on a long ez and vari eze's is the 4.00-11.00 by 5 lamb tire, lamb sold out to Chin shin a few years ago who still makes the same tire. as you can see they are a bit cheaper then the 500- 5's. about 5 times less. you may want to check with Matco to find out which wheels you have, there is a difference in the wheels used with the different tires. the tube valve stem is in a different position.

On the front we use the 2.80/2.50 by 4 tail wheel tire about an 8" diameter. they cost more the the main tires.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/lgpages/tailwheeltires.php

Thanks. I just didn't even see the Cheng-Shin tires at Aircraft spruce. I will look into them. I wish I had seen them before, they are quite a bit cheaper.

• 2 weeks later...

G'day

Looks great! I have not cut the speed break door from my tub yet. It will have to wait until I return from OZ in September. Any pointers you could send would be very helpful. This weekend I move hangers and will have everything packed, but early September I will be building again with any luck.

Keep building, looks great.

Jeff

You comin down under, mate?

'Fair dinkum' arrive Canberra on 10 Aug. return to the States 29 Aug.

My wife, two littlies and I will be spending a few weeks with the relies... I may get to visit some ol friends and tip a few VBs...

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmmm. I had thought I made this post yesterday. Perhaps I clicked out of the window before submitting the message.... Anyhow

I have started to work on the canard. While I am waiting for Steve of Eureka to get back from Oshkosh and ship my cores, I have begun fabricating some of the hardware:

Posted Image

I would like to begin making the NC-3 and NC-3A hinges. However there seems to be a discrepancy in the drawings. The plans indicate a demention of 2.3" in the vertical dimention for both NC-3 and NC-3A, but the scale drawings only measure 2". Can anyone confirm what the actual height of those parts should be? Thanks

http://flyingbackward.blogspot.com/

Flying Backward

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Put it on the bottom.

Self confessed Wingnut.

Now think about it...wouldn't you rather LIVE your life, rather than watch someone else's, on Reality T.V.?

Get up off that couch!!! =)

Progress; Fuselage on all three, with outside and inside nearly complete. 8 inch extended nose. FHC done. Canard finished. ERacer wings done with blended winglets. IO540 starting rebuild. Mounting Spar. Starting strake ribs.

My shear web and bottom spar cap are now complete.

Question though. I have ordered an antenna kit from RTS. Should I wait for it to arrive, or should I go ahead and glass the bottom and install the NAV antenna on the top of the canard?

Posted Image

Flying Backward

it will work in either position. mine are at about have way up in front of the shear web. they were put in the foam in front of the shear web, that way you do not have to deal with them being under the skin layup. cut a slot in the foam with a hacksaw blade 1/2" deep and slip the foil tape antenna in the slot. a little 5 minute to hold it in and then install the airfoil leading edge

it will work in either position. mine are at about have way up in front of the shear web. they were put in the foam in front of the shear web, that way you do not have to deal with them being under the skin layup. cut a slot in the foam with a hacksaw blade 1/2" deep and slip the foil tape antenna in the slot. a little 5 minute to hold it in and then install the airfoil leading edge

It is a little late for me to use that method as my leading edge is bonded in place. Perhaps I should not have been quite so hasty to start work after receiving the beautifully made foam cores.

My choice now is to make progress over the weekend and start to glass the bottom of the canard or to wait.... to do this, I would then have to install the NAV antenna on the top.

My thoughts (though not backed up by study) tell me that any deformation the foil could cause, probably would be better tolerated on the underside of the airfoil. I would not think that an inch or two of foam would make much difference in the reception.

I would like to begin making the NC-3 and NC-3A hinges. However there seems to be a discrepancy in the drawings. The plans indicate a demention of 2.3" in the vertical dimention for both NC-3 and NC-3A, but the scale drawings only measure 2". Can anyone confirm what the actual height of those parts should be? Thanks

Flying Backward

Go with the shorter dimension, thats what Brocks was making them to, apparently people had difficulty getting all the foam out and getting the NC-3's all in place and lined up. They will fit but its easier with the short ones.

We were making them to the print dimension (thats the rule) but will be making future ones the shorter dimension.

...Chrissi

CG Products

www.CozyGirrrl.com

Cozy Mk-IV RG 13B Turbo

Go with the shorter dimension, thats what Brocks was making them to, apparently people had difficulty getting all the foam out and getting the NC-3's all in place and lined up. They will fit but its easier with the short ones.

We were making them to the print dimension (thats the rule) but will be making future ones the shorter dimension.

...Chrissi

Thanks. I will cut them down. It seemed to me that the dimension is not as critical as ensuring the elevator is positioned correctly while the flox cures. Does this sound correct?

Thanks. I will cut them down. It seemed to me that the dimension is not as critical as ensuring the elevator is positioned correctly while the flox cures. Does this sound correct?

That and look for how far they protrude out the bottom, you can avoid unecessary bumps.

Get as much filling, sanding and contouring of the bottom out of the way in that part of the profile while you can so you do not have to sand around individual NC-3's in the way.

CG Products

www.CozyGirrrl.com

Cozy Mk-IV RG 13B Turbo

My choice now is to make progress over the weekend and start to glass the bottom of the canard or to wait.... to do this, I would then have to install the NAV antenna on the top.

I had planned to put it in another location, so I didn't install my Nav antenna until after the canard was finished filled and sanded. I installed it in the standard bottom location. I usd a popsicle stick with sandpaper glued to it to sand down to the glass, attached the antenna and then covered with west filler and sanded smooth. (Use caution during the final sanding step to avoid damaging the foil.)

Based on the feedback from others about the bottom being the preferred location, this approach may work for you too. If you'd like to make the job a bit easier, consider laying out the dimensions of the antenna on the foam, and making slight depressions in the foam where the outboard ends of the foil will be. The inboard ends are inside the fuselage and contour isn't critacal, but the depressions will make the final contouring over the outboard section of the antenna easier.

Phil

Long-ez project

Milwaukee

Based on the feedback from others about the bottom being the preferred location, this approach may work for you too. If you'd like to make the job a bit easier, consider laying out the dimensions of the antenna on the foam, and making slight depressions in the foam where the outboard ends of the foil will be. The inboard ends are inside the fuselage and contour isn't critacal, but the depressions will make the final contouring over the outboard section of the antenna easier.

I think this is the route I will go. Now the waiting game for the antenna kit.

Any suggestions on a time consuming, low cost part of the project I can divert to while I wait?

• 2 weeks later...

Well not only did I cut the parts for the center section jig, I went ahead and completed it. Now I just need to find a place to store it untill it's time to start work on the main spar.

Posted Image

Also I got impatient waiting for my antenna kit from Jim Weir and I ordered foil tape and toroids from Aircraft spruce. The parts arrived today and I made up the NAV antenna. This weekend I hope to glass the canard bottom.

Posted Image

Flying Backward

Hmmmm. I had thought I made this post yesterday. Perhaps I clicked out of the window before submitting the message.... Anyhow

I have started to work on the canard. While I am waiting for Steve of Eureka to get back from Oshkosh and ship my cores, I have begun fabricating some of the hardware:

Posted Image

Flying Backward

G'day

I am looking for some full size drawings for the CLT and INSERTS. Do you have any you would be so kind to share?

Did you make these from sheet 2024-T3 or from stock? If sheet what size did you order?

I also see that the Cozy Girrrls have made the CLT from .25 2024-T3 and .125 2024-T3 (per plans). Does anybody know Why?

Thanks in advance; I just got back from down under and need to get back into the hanger....

Jeff

G'day

I am looking for some full size drawings for the CLT and INSERTS. Do you have any you would be so kind to share?

Did you make these from sheet 2024-T3 or from stock? If sheet what size did you order?

I also see that the Cozy Girrrls have made the CLT from .25 2024-T3 and .125 2024-T3 (per plans). Does anybody know Why?

Thanks in advance; I just got back from down under and need to get back into the hanger....

Jeff

I ordered a small sheet of 2024-T3 1/8" thick 12"x12" and I have a lot left over.

I can't answer about the 1/4" CLT's, however my guess is that they are beefed up for the cozy.

See attached drawing, I hope this helps.

LIFTTAB.pdf