mfryer's ride

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok enough with Powered Toast Man, just a little to silly for me I think.

I have completed the first practice lay up and it weighed in a 9-7/8 oz. This is a little lighter than called out for in the instructions. There are no voids or bubbles or anything so I can't think of why its so light. Perhaps the scale is not accurate. I will take the piece down to the post office and double check it there. It will be nice to know if my scale is even close.

More about this and other things on my blog....

http://flyingbackward.blogspot.com/

Ok enough with Powered Toast Man, just a little to silly for me I think.

You brought it up! I'm betting that avatar doesn't last through chapter 4.

I have completed the first practice lay up and it weighed in a 9-7/8 oz.

It does look like you have a bubble or two through the 11 through 4:00 positions. What's it "supposed" to weigh?

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

You brought it up! I'm betting that avatar doesn't last through chapter 4.

It does look like you have a bubble or two through the 11 through 4:00 positions. What's it "supposed" to weigh?

What I think you are seeing is dust from my hands. If you could see it up close the finish is a uniform color, thickness, etc. I can see no bubbles or areas that appear dry. The instructions say that the lightest one should expect is 10-1/2 oz.

Frankly I am not too worried about it. I might have been a little anal in getting rid of the excess epoxy.

FIRST PART!

Today I received a call from my brother in Seattle. I tasked him with finding for me 1/4" 5 ply birch plywood.

Not only did he find the plywood, he also cut out the firewall for me!

We have lots of extra plywood left over so if anyone is in needs some, let me know. I can probably provide it for less than through wicks or AS&S. If someone needs a n Open-EZ firewall I could duplicate mine in a short time with my router.

Your can see my progress at

Flying Backward

• 1 month later...

Progress has been slow, but yesterday I finished the rear seat back. So I now have about half the bulkheads complete.

Also my brother was kind enough to pick up some aluminum extrusion for the landing gear brackets. Unfortunately he made a mistake while fabricating on of the larger rear brackets. So I am in need of about a 5" long 2"x2"x1/4" piece to complete the landing gear brackets. If anyone has a scrap that size I would be happy to take it off your hands for a price.

Photos of my progress can be seen at:

• 2 weeks later...

Thats really great.

Somehow I am jealous, I'd have loved to have built a Long-ez when I was younger, something between a magic carpet and a personal fighter. Though our Cozy should be comparable in performance I do not think the experience will be the same. Looking forward to seeing your future progress.

Regards, Chrissi

CG Products

www.CozyGirrrl.com

Cozy Mk-IV RG 13B Turbo

Thats really great.

Somehow I am jealous, I'd have loved to have built a Long-ez when I was younger, something between a magic carpet and a personal fighter. Though our Cozy should be comparable in performance I do not think the experience will be the same. Looking forward to seeing your future progress.

Regards, Chrissi

On my way back from my first x-country solo I had a brief moment of relaxation, knowing that I could find my way back and that the weather was just about perfect. Flying over slightly rolling green hills of southwest Washington at 3500 ft I got a real appreciation for flying and really felt like I was atop the flying carpet I thought about as a child.

I hope I will have one or two moments like that in the Long when its flying.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well today I floxed the landing gear extrusions to the fuselage sides. Unfortunately I ran across a little problem. Two holes in the forward extrusion were drilled to close to the perpendicular side. This did not allow enough room for the washers to sit flat...

Posted Image

One solution I came up with was the grind off one side of the washers. This seemed to do the trick, but I am a little uneasy with this for some reason.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Is this an ok solution? Any suggestions are welcome.

You can see higher resolution pictures at:http://flyingbackward.blogspot.com/

Flying Backward

Not sure if it will fit but what you may want is a piloted counterbore to spot face the area where that washer goes. The tool looks like a long end mill with a smooth pilot sticking out of the middle that fits in the hole on your part. Question is do you have enough clearance, in other words is the interference just the material in the radius or is it the wall as well?

Those knurled tubes look mighty nice though :D

Regards, Chrissi

CG Products

www.CozyGirrrl.com

Cozy Mk-IV RG 13B Turbo

ALSO;

I can't tell from these photos, BUT, shouldn't there be a insert in the hole that the large bolt goes through?

I seem to recall these LBGs were to be drilled oversize and an insert installed. This would prevent the elongation of the bolt hole later in life.

Waiter

F16 performance on a Piper Cub budget

LongEZ, 160hp, MT CS Prop, Downdraft cooling, Full retract

visit: www.iflyez.com

Waiter,

I seem to remember somebody mentioning that in a CSA that a SSTL insert like gets pressed into the tube but the thickness of the aluminum bracket, the shoulder side towards the tube?

I just know we are going to have to start making the LG brackets with the SSTL bushings already pressed into place aren't we? :rolleyes:

...Chrissi

CG Products

www.CozyGirrrl.com

Cozy Mk-IV RG 13B Turbo

ALSO;

I can't tell from these photos, BUT, shouldn't there be a insert in the hole that the large bolt goes through?

I seem to recall these LBGs were to be drilled oversize and an insert installed. This would prevent the elongation of the bolt hole later in life.

Waiter

I do not recall that mentioned in any of the CP newsletters. Any reference material would be appreciated.

Observant folks might also notice that the "bolt" and nut are not the correct parts. I am using, for now a threaded rod and hardware store nuts untill I can find the AN6-80As.