mfryer's ride

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are hundreds of Eze/Cozy Urethane noses FLYING out there FOR YEARS....without one complaint about what their noses are made of.

YMMV. I really enjoyed sculpting the urethane, and with agood micro coat prior to glassing, felt/feel it matches the design need.

Self confessed Wingnut.

Now think about it...wouldn't you rather LIVE your life, rather than watch someone else's, on Reality T.V.?

Get up off that couch!!! =)

Progress; Fuselage on all three, with outside and inside nearly complete. 8 inch extended nose. FHC done. Canard finished. ERacer wings done with blended winglets. IO540 starting rebuild. Mounting Spar. Starting strake ribs.

I just placed my first order with Aircraft Spruce. :D

Its just a composite practice kit, but I think I can officially say that I have started chapter 3.

I also spent the last few days cleaning up the "shop" and today I installed some florescent lighting, seems about 10 times as bright in there.

Tomorrow my brother is headed over to help me build a work table and spruce up the shop some more.

Also I started a blog to track my progress. I don't know how often I will update it but if anyone is interested in checking it out goto:

http://flyingbackward.blogspot.com/

If anyone has any suggestions about the blog or my progress please please feel free to let me know what you think.

Martin

i wish it were mine:bad:

Steve M. Parkins

There are hundreds of Eze/Cozy Urethane noses FLYING out there FOR YEARS....without one complaint about what their noses are made of.

The main reason some folks are staying away from this foam is that in the event of an electrical fire, you get bad gas (and Beano won't help you.)

T Mann - Loooong-EZ/20B Infinity R/G Chpts 18

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

We add rocket's to everything!

4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 14, 19, 20 Done

• 1 month later...

Over the last month, between Arlington, checking out Steve Parkins Cozy project and other things, I have have nearly completed construction of the canopy (not counting hinging and latch hardware, etc.)

Wow, so much more time consuming than I would have thought. I suppose I should be getting used to the fact that everything really takes two to three times as long as the plans say, or what I should expect, which ever is greater.

The nose is also nearly done, I have just completed cutting out the nose access hatch and finished the 4 ply canard attachment renenforcement layups.

I also have picked up a mickey mouse oxy/acetylene setup and practiced some welding in preparation for fabrication of the rudder pedals. All I will say is that much more practice is in order.

Posted Image

Of course more photos and discussion at:

http://www.flyingbackward.blogspot.com/

Good to see that you are making constant progress. I recently started following your blog and had to catch up from day one to present. I am starting to do some research and have contacted a few people about taking over their projects. I am just learning the ins and outs of the LongEZ and what kinds of things I would like to have on my particular plan. There are still some things I am confused about but, I will get them sorted out in time. Thanks for creating a blog where folks like myself can follow along.

Hey Martin - if your mickey mouse torches don't work out I've got a real set you can use.

Marc

Well the mickey mouse setup seems to work ok, however even with the little practice I have done, I don't.

I have ordered a smaller size nozzle to see if that helps.

Do you have any experience with gass welding? If so and if you have some timer perhaps you can tell me what I am doing wrong.

#0 tip came arrived yesterday and I managed to make a couple good welds. Not pretty, but the weld penetrated withough burning through. Tried what I could to break the parts appart and the welds and they held pretty good..

More practice and I will try to make up a rudder pedal.

Cool - I'd grab some mild steel from Capitol Industrial (its pretty cheap right now) and some steel welding rod or even coat hanger and practice welding.

It won't be too long before you're good at it.

Will do, good idea to do more practice on cheap stuff first. I burned through my first order of 4130 tubing practicing on the bigger tip.

I have more 4130 now, and its tempting to start working with it.

Will do, good idea to do more practice on cheap stuff first. I burned through my first order of 4130 tubing practicing on the bigger tip.

I have more 4130 now, and its tempting to start working with it.

you get the spendy rod to go with that 4130 ? like metals weld better and crack less. :P

Steve M. Parkins

you get the spendy rod to go with that 4130 ? like metals weld better and crack less. :P

Yes, I purchased some filler rod from ACS. I do want to do this right. I suppose hiring the job out would be the right way to go, but the whole idea of building the plane for me is to pick up a skill or two allong the way.

Coat hangers, maybie, for practice, but I have plenty of filler rod to last a while.

• 5 weeks later...

Recently I have worked a little more on the canopy frame and some work around the nose. I have also nearly finished the rudder pedals.

Not pretty, but I think they should work out ok. Im not super proud of them, but I think they are all right considering they are the first parts I have welded myself.

I still need to work out some sort of attachement for the master cylinders. Some recent posts by others have given me some good information, however if anyone has some additional ideas on front mounted master cylinders I would appreciate the input.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

as usual, more and larger images at:

http://www.flyingbackward.blogspot.com/

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Looks like things are coming together nicely. I'd like to come take a gander again in the not too distant future, if possible.

I'm up in Victoria right now with a fishing boat in the drydock but I'll be out of here toward the end of next week.

I'll give you a shout when I get back.

Keep up the good work.

Marc Oppelt

Olympia, WA

http://picasaweb.google.com/oh.u8it2

• 3 weeks later...

It's been a little too cold here until just lately, so progress has been slow.

Its been a tad warmer over the last few day so I managed to complete the center section spar shear web last evening.

Posted Image

More photos of my center section spar progress are at:

http://flyingbackward.blogspot.com

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I didn't complete the spar by new years. But it is done now..

The Long-EZ plans now call for the spar to be permenantly installed in the fuselage. I think however that I will hold off on that for now. With the spar and canard installed, my EZ takes up a huge amount of space in the shop.

Instead I am considering skipping ahead and constructing the wings. With those out of the way I think I will cut down the size of the work table.

Also I see some cozy and other long-ez folks are aligning the wings to the center spar before mounting it to the fuse.

Any thoughts on this strategy?

Posted Image

Posted Image

more photos at...

http://flyingbackward.blogspot.com

... Also I see some cozy and other long-ez folks are aligning the wings to the center spar before mounting it to the fuse.

I can't speak for the two place canards, but leveling the spar and two wings is a whole lot less 'space intensive' than leveling the fuse, spar, and two wings on a Cozy.

Once (when) I match drill everything, I only have to worry (if at all) about keeping leveling boards on the spar.

Besides, a pix of your spar and wings being leveled and match drilled in your kitchen/dining/living room is always a conversation starter :)

Rick

Rick Hall; MK-IV plans #1477; cozy.zggtr.org

Build status: 1-7, bits of 8-9, 10, 14 done! Working on engine/prop/avionics.

FWIW, I will join my wings and center spar and THEN mount them into the fuselage. There seems to be a number of advantages to doing this. One, for me, is that I still need to get my parts out of the basement, so the landing gear, wings, canard, spar and headrests will all have to go as separate pieces. I'll assemble them out in the barn.

Phil Kriley

Cozy #1460

Chapter 13 - nose

Right wing done - working on right winglet.