Long EZ plans and parts found!

sticks

I have come into plans for the Long EZ and some parts. What parts there are I do not know yet. THere is also a hovercraft kit included. They say there are foam pieces and fiberglass for the LOng EZ. I will see what all there is when they get the parts out of the barn. The people I am getting them from are junk haulers. Depending on what is there I may build it or put it up for sale. The plans are from 1980 so I will have to see about getting the Canard Pusher newsletters to update plans as much as possible. The plans are no longer sold. Aircraft Spruce told me to contact the Cozy Girls about pre-fab parts. I have looked at their website.

Any thoughts? Any advice? What should I look for? The plans do not have a serial number, if I decide to build it, where can I get a serial number? Any place on the internet I should look for more info?

Thank you,

Dustin

I have come into plans for the Long EZ and some parts. What parts there are I do not know yet.

Good deal, check it out!

THere is also a hovercraft kit included.

Focus, leave it with them.

They say there are foam pieces and fiberglass for the LOng EZ. I will see what all there is when they get the parts out of the barn.

Any blue foam should be fine, but others don't like sun all that much. I also wouldn't want to deal with moth-eaten (or attempted to be eaten) fiberglass.

The people I am getting them from are junk haulers.

Definitely need to get it off their hands then. This stuff is not junk! ;)

The plans are from 1980 so I will have to see about getting the Canard Pusher newsletters to update plans as much as possible.

A typical scenario, and a straightforward task. You can find the CPs online.

What should I look for?

Good quality workmanship. No crushed-in sections of the fuselage sides (tell-tale of the wrong/old foam).

The plans do not have a serial number, if I decide to build it, where can I get a serial number? Any place on the internet I should look for more info?

That *may* mean the plans are copies, which means that you cannot verify the accuracy of any full-size drawings (assuming they were copied). It also may only mean that this sheet was taken from the plans, which is NOT an issue. You do NOT need a serial number to build a Long-EZ, just to get support, which you cannot get from RAF anyway. There are ample support groups on the Internet, such as this forum and the Canard Aviators Yahoo group. You also found good suppliers already -- the Cozy Girrrls. However, in the end, be prepared to do a lot of the research and legwork yourself.

Tell us more as you find out yourself.

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

I think they are original plans. I have the manila like envelope with RAF return address on it. Section 1 Plans from March 1980 First Edition. Section 2 L for Lycoming Engine Installation. Plans include pages A-1 to A-14 for templates and other parts of plans that I can tape together to make bigger. Also included is Section 6, Landing Airbrake for the VariEze. I have The Canard Pusher newsletters numbers 24 through 32. I also have some white foam that appear to possibly be leading edge wing, about inch thick, but it may be for the hovercraft. More parts to come.

If a serial number is not required, what is required to get the airworthiness inspection from the FAA? Although I am an A&P I am not current and have never dealt with the homebuilt section. Any help appreciated.

Thank you Jon.

Dustin

Sounds like you hit the jackpot then! Good job.

If you're going to build this yourself, and do the majority of the construction, you can get a 'Repairman's Certificate'. This allows you to do the 'Condition Inspection', which is much like a certificated aircraft's "annual". Find out much more than I can explain at http://eaa.org/education/homebuilt_faq.html and from whomever else feels like chiming in. Careful who's personal advice you follow, including mine. I would trust the EAA information, as well as the FAA's, but the EAA boils it down nicely.

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

Thanks Jon. I will post what I have when the rest of the past come in. Then I will decide what to do with the plane. It is tempting to just start building but I know I may have trouble affording the rest of what may not be there. Sigh. Cross your fingers, please, lol.

Dustin

Sounds to me like you hit big!

If you can, consider photograhing everything before you more it. Get the back-story on the project also - Before and after stuff for the record. Look around carefully if you are buying it as a package, get everything that remotely looks connected to your project. Good for you!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm also considering buying a LEZ kit. The wings, fuselage are nearly done. The builder is selling the complete kit, with plans and an engine. The builder is an A&P, and is willing to answer questions and provide some assistance while I finish the plane. This kit comes with a slightly larger O320 engine, and will need to have the battery which rides in the nose extended out for proper CG. It also has retractible gear.

If anyone has experience buying a partially complete LEZ, let me know what questions to ask, what to look for and any red flags. Also, is there any way to put a value on a partially complete plane?

All the best,

"Smitty", aka Donald Smith

Airport: LVK "Homebuilt Heaven!"