Novice needs basic info

I see prices on used Canards ranging from $2k to $85k :confused: which seems like a huge variance for an ultralight. The median used price seems to be roughly around $10k.

Are all Canards ultralights? I noticed about 15-20 different models, and I have no idea what the differences are. I'd really like to see a table detailing the differences. Which model is the richest in features?

Are any of them factory built? If so what percentage?

Do they all have side sticks?

How many work hours are the kits designed to require?

I think you should do an internet search for "wiki canard". There is good information out there.

Most Canards do not seem to be ultralights, but instead are very fast cross country airplanes with big expensive engines.

Andrew Anunson

I work underground and I play in the sky... no problem

I see prices on used Canards ranging from $2k to $85k which seems like a huge variance for an ultralight

There are some "Canard" based Ultralights, However, thats where the similarity ends when comparing an ultralight to these "EZs"; VariEZs, LongEZs, Cozys, AeroCanards, Berkuts, E-Racers, Velocitys, etc.

These EZ aircraft are certified and licensed in the "Amateur Built, Experimental" category.

Their weight, power, speed, and altitude capabilities places them well beyond the Ultralight, and even the Sport Pilot class of operation.

The only EZ canard type that was a "Production Certification" was the "Speed Canard". This aircraft was built in Germany on an assembly line. There weren't very many of these built, perhaps less than 100.

There are thousands of EZs currently flying throughout the word.

Most of the EZs that I'm aware of are all designed with the sidestick controller.

Building times vary, depending on the aircraft and builder experience. My LongEZ took just a over 3,000 hours to build. This is somewhat typical, Plus or Minus a thousand hours.

If you would like to get a little better idea of what its like to build and fly a LongEZ, I welcome you to visit my web site at;

www.iflyez.com

Waiter

F16 performance on a Piper Cub budget

LongEZ, 160hp, MT CS Prop, Downdraft cooling, Full retract

visit: www.iflyez.com

Thanks for all the information. I'm not up for a 2000-3000 hour mission :scared:, so I'll probably just keep my eye on the (apparently very small) market for one. For some reason I was thinking these were ultralights, or at most light sports, and so I was also under the assumption it would be an ultra-light workload to build one (some of the lighter ultralights are only 80 hour home kits).

Before I even saw a canard I was figuring I wanted pusher with a sidestick and a diesel engine. It doesn't exist, however the Canard seems to satisfy two of those characteristics. It's a shame the FAA has been dragging their feet on approvals for diesel engines.

It's almost tempting to take the plans to Mexico and use cheap Mexican labor to build one, but the wiki implies this is not simply a matter of assembly, but rather fabrication of parts in a machine shop.

I think you are confusing a couple of issues. You don't need an FAA certified engine in an experimental. Also, many of us do not machine our own parts---we buy them. Planes like the Varieze, Longez, and Cozy are built from composite material that you make yourself using moldless construction.

From going to lots of airshows, it seems that it is a common misperception for the general public to call our EZs (Cozy, Longez, Varieze) an ultralight. My opinion is that is all they know (certified or ultralight). And since our planes are not "normal", it must be an ultralight.

However, this is an ultralight (from wikipedia--easier than searching the FAR): single seat vehicle of less than 5 US gallons fuel capacity, empty weight of less than 254 pounds, a top speed of 55 knots, a maximum stall speed not exceeding 24 knots, and are only allowed to fly during daylight hours and over unpopulated areas. Weight allowances can be made for two-seat trainers, amphibious landing gear, and ballistic parachute systems.

As you can see, we are about 5 times heavier, 3-4 times faster, CAN fly night/IFR and carry 10 times the fuel load. The ultralights you speak about are the proverbial lawnchairs with wings----not that I have anything against them---I think they are pretty cool----just a much different mission.