Fixed Nose Gear on a Long-EZ?

I really feel like a complete noob asking this, but I poked around quite a bit and never saw this specific question anywhere.

I'm aware of the CG issues inherent in the Long-EZ design, but is it possible to make a (theoretically) safe modification to allow for a steerable fixed nose gear? Honestly, if I wanted retracts, I'd go full retract. I love the Long-EZ's design, but the hybrid approach to the landing gear really bothers me.

Given a long nose design and 50 pounds of ballast (for sake of argument) can a fixed nose gear be realistically done?

An alternate idea that I was kicking arouind -- a steerable nose gear system, but with a pinned lower shaft that can be removed -- the nose is kept dropped, but when you fly it, you lift it, install the nose gear (and retaining pin -- Clevis, maybe?) and off you go.

I really feel like a complete noob asking this, but I poked around quite a bit and never saw this specific question anywhere.

I'm aware of the CG issues inherent in the Long-EZ design, but is it possible to make a (theoretically) safe modification to allow for a steerable fixed nose gear? Honestly, if I wanted retracts, I'd go full retract. I love the Long-EZ's design, but the hybrid approach to the landing gear really bothers me.

Given a long nose design and 50 pounds of ballast (for sake of argument) can a fixed nose gear be realistically done?

An alternate idea that I was kicking arouind -- a steerable nose gear system, but with a pinned lower shaft that can be removed -- the nose is kept dropped, but when you fly it, you lift it, install the nose gear (and retaining pin -- Clevis, maybe?) and off you go.

I guess if you REALLY know what you REALLY want, I'm sure there's a way to do this. BUT.. you can turn MUCH tighter with a pivoting nosewheel as opposed to a steerable kind. This comes in handy in a crowded group hangar or crowded ramp. Differential braking is the way to go. You dont have to ride the brakes.. Quick jabs to start and stop turns work just fine.

Landing with the nose gear up is not a life altering experience. A little fiberglass work and you are back in business, and if you have a TRUE emergency where you need to stop on the ground QUICK, sucking up the nose gear is one way to do it.

What bothers you the most? A retracting nose gear or a pivoting nosewheel?

Do you feel its unsafe? or you have no experience with this arrangement? Go fly a grumman cheetah or tiger if one is nearby you. Same arrangement (pivoting nosegear) but on fixed gear.

There is a big difference between just the nose gear retracting and going full retracts. But your question pretty much treats them the same. As posted by David, leaving the gear up in a normal EZ will not ruin your day. Leaving your gear up on a full retract WILL ruin your day.

Why do you want a steerable nose wheel? If I knew that, I could probably better comment.

The best reason for nosewheel steering is that you can track straight with a wheelbrake failure---and still stop with the remaining brake if enough runway is left. However, the mitigating factor for me is to bump the nose gear up just a little bit (electric nose gear) if this situation happens which will force the wheel to be straight and will no longer steer left and right.

Another thing to consider (for a mod like this and others)----I would not buy an EZ with this mod. Be careful when you mod an airplane---if you keep it for life, it does not matter. If you ever need to sell, be careful what you have done to it.

Oh---and one last thing with a fixed gear EZ----you will need either down draft cooling or armpit updraft. The engine will get too hot with the gear down.