Perpetual Prebuilder

I'm very frustrated with my lack of progress. I've had my plans a couple of months now and do not see light at the end of the pre build tunnel yet.:sad:

I pay as I go:D

90% tools purchased

I thought I had plenty of basic tools until I got my hands on my plans and started pricing everything that will be needed.

I went through a lot of money just buying tools and reached the realization that unless I slow down my preparation purchases I'll have lot of tools a nice shop an no material or money. I don't think I could sit still for having everything ready to start and no money to begin.

I was not planning on opening the boxes that some of my larger purchases came in but just had to do something so I unpacked and assembled my new radial arm drill press. Or at least started to... it seems to be missing a bag of bolts and a set screw. I plan to get some case hardened replacement bolts as the ones missing attach the press to it's base.

With this wakeup call I unpacked the Harbor Freight 4 speed band saw the Cozy girls recommended and assembled it too.

I elected to go with cheap drill bits and a drill doctor rather than spend a lot on bits. I snagged a Fien Multimaster XL kit which comes with a number of blades; I hope they last well as the blades are expensive.

I still have a few hundred dollars worth of tools to buy but all the major purchases have been made.

80% basement shop & layup room

I have to clean the shop soon if I'm ever going to get the drop ceiling in with the 5 4 bulb 4 foot long florescent fixtures I bought.

Garage

Still have my boat in one of the garage bays, if my brother does not come get the boat soon I'm going to sell it (he gets if free if...).

0% table and cabinets (may convert an old fridge for the expoxy cabinet)

Feels like I've got a rich mans taste and a poor mans wallet.

Distraction:

In the middle of all this I have to buy a welder (MIG) to finish another project.

Some felllow with no insurance hit my 66 Impala so I'm doing a chop and reskin on the drivers side rear quarter. I know a lot of people use flux wire welders but they honestly are crap compared to a mig. Flux in the weld, a lot of dirty splatter and lower quality to boot. I know I could go cheaper but my long term plans call for a true gas shield mig.

Replacement motor for my washing machine arrived damaged so had to buy another one to expidite repair.:( Sending the damaged one in for credit

I'm very frustrated with my lack of progress.

You'll get there, with a plan and committment to yourself.

90% tools purchased

I thought I had plenty of basic tools until I got my hands on my plans and started pricing everything that will be needed.

That's probably part of your problem. What tools do you think you still need to get started?

I snagged a Fien Multimaster XL kit which comes with a number of blades; I hope they last well as the blades are expensive.

They'll last quite a while.

I still have a few hundred dollars worth of tools to buy but all the major purchases have been made.

What exactly?

I have to clean the shop soon if I'm ever going to get the drop ceiling in with the 5 4 bulb 4 foot long florescent fixtures I bought.

Clean and organized is important, but don't require "perfect".

Garage

Still have my boat in one of the garage bays, if my brother does not come get the boat soon I'm going to sell it (he gets if free if...).

Yah, get rid of that and as many other distractions as you can.

My Chapter 4 table was a 4' x 4' plywood board I sanded and urethaned. Cabinets approach "perfect" and I would suggest some quick shelves instead.

Keep at it and it will come; make it so.

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

You don't need all that stuff to start.

I've got 100 hours in the project so far and don't need any drill bits or a Drill Doctor yet. The $10 set of three blades for the fein from Harbor Freight works good if you do need blades. What you'll most likely use on a daily basis is the fein, maybe a Dremel, and some sandpaper or permagrit tools.

Get a free broken fridge with a lightbulb for hotbox. This stuff gets epoxy on it, so don't get fancy.

Its easy to inadvertently put off starting the build with details.

Please, purchase the tools later, as you find you have a need for them. Spend your money on supplies (foam, fiberglass, epoxy).

Andrew Anunson

I work underground and I play in the sky... no problem

Man(n)......can I relate to that situation.

I pumped my first batch of epoxy on 5/6/2007 and it seemed like I would never get that far! Every time I would try to get started, I found myself building more shop instead of more plane.:(

From (very recent) experience, this seems to be a huge and very frustrating hrdle to get past but not to worry.

Soon you'll be pumping epoxy right along with the rest of us!:D

T Mann - Loooong-EZ/20B Infinity R/G Chpts 18

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

We add rocket's to everything!

4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 14, 19, 20 Done

I'm very frustrated with my lack of progress. I've had my plans a couple of months now and do not see light at the end of the pre build tunnel yet.:sad:

90% tools purchased

I went through a lot of money just buying tools and reached the realization that unless I slow down my preparation purchases I'll have lot of tools a nice shop an no material or money. I don't think I could sit still for having everything ready to start and no money to begin.

I was not planning on opening the boxes that some of my larger purchases came in but just had to do something so I unpacked and assembled my new radial arm drill press. Or at least started to... it seems to be missing a bag of bolts and a set screw. I plan to get some case hardened replacement bolts as the ones missing attach the press to it's base.

With this wakeup call I unpacked the Harbor Freight 4 speed band saw the Cozy girls recommended and assembled it too.

I elected to go with cheap drill bits and a drill doctor rather than spend a lot on bits. I snagged a Fien Multimaster XL kit which comes with a number of blades; I hope they last well as the blades are expensive.

Garage

Feels like I've got a rich mans taste and a poor mans wallet.

Distraction:

In the middle of all this I have to buy a welder (MIG) to finish another project.

Some felllow with no insurance hit my 66 Impala so I'm doing a chop and reskin on the drivers side rear quarter. I know a lot of people use flux wire welders but they honestly are crap compared to a mig. Flux in the weld, a lot of dirty splatter and lower quality to boot. I know I could go cheaper but my long term plans call for a true gas shield mig.

Replacement motor for my washing machine arrived damaged so had to buy another one to expidite repair.:( Sending the damaged one in for credit

So Ken,

What is really holding you up??????:sad:

I Canardly contain myself!

Rich :D

I have most of the tools now for a low budget home shop:

I need: cleo pliers, cleos, decimal tape measure, brush, X-acto razer saw, 1/2" 100deg piloted countersink, machinist rule, 5/8 CB w 1/4 pilot & 10"shank

Disston Abrader(snickered once I knew what is was), hotwire saw (yes I know I do not have to have most of it to build the bulkheads but, as long as other things hold me up I at least feel like I'm doing something buying the down the road tools)

I don't have any of the consumables for glass foam or epoxy yet but will get that with my first order.

If any single item is holding me up its without a doubt the shop completion and cleanup... I am honestly afraid of electricity I ran all the wire I need for the walls but, when it comes to putting it into my service box I will pay someone to do it. My electrical box has no master to shutoff (inside or outside) so the box is always hot. I have 5 (4 bulb) 4' florescent fixtures for the drop ceiling I'm installing that still need the runs put in.

Anyone that wants to tell me just how easy it to work in a hot electrical box can come over and show me:D I know its easy:scared:

I have tons of stuff that belong to my family in the room 27' x 24' I plan to work in. I'm thinking of ordering a dumpster (yeah its a lot) in order to get rid of it all. I'm not going to ask anyone what they want to keep or I'd only need a paper sack rather than a dumpster. :bad: I'd rather they were upset after the fact than arguing over crap we MUST keep;)

You don't need any more tools to get started. Those tools you just listed will be needed later, but I can't think of anything you need for chapter 3 and 4 that you don't already have, with the possible exception that you should get the decimal measuring tape.

No shutoff for your electrical panel?!?!? Good God - are you living in a third-world country? That seems really hard to believe. :confused: Are you SURE there is NO WAY to turn off your power? :scared:

Phil Kriley

Cozy #1460

Chapter 13 - nose

Right wing done - working on right winglet.

Some of the best advice I've been given by a canard builder and flyer: "Do NOT buy ANYTHING until you NEED it."

I have most of the tools now for a low budget home shop:
As Phil said, you have ALL the tools you need to build through the first couple chapters.

I need: cleo pliers, cleos, ...
No you don't, at least not until you get to building your cowlings many moons from now.

...decimal tape measure, ...
I still don't have one, but I'll admit I want one. :)

...brush...
Sure, why not.

...X-acto razer saw...
Sure, but a hack saw blade will do fine until you REALLY need one.

...1/2" 100deg piloted countersink, machinist rule, 5/8 CB w 1/4 pilot & 10"shank...
You definitely do NOT need these now.

Disston Abrader(snickered once I knew what is was)
This thing was mentioned in some ancient canard text, and I think no longer sold by that name. Save your money and buy some Permagrit tools instead. Pair with the Fein tool and you're done.

...hotwire saw
Definitely do not need this now.

...(yes I know I do not have to have most of it to build the bulkheads but, as long as other things hold me up I at least feel like I'm doing something buying the down the road tools)
The BEST thing you can do right now is stop buying stuff and clean up your shop.

I don't have any of the consumables for glass foam or epoxy yet but will get that with my first order.
Figure out where you're going to store this stuff and order material for Chapter 4 (or 4-8).

If any single item is holding me up its without a doubt the shop completion and cleanup...
Cleanup is essential, but then you need to stop thinking about buying stuff. You don't necessarily need to fit all materials in your space all at once.

I am honestly afraid of electricity I ran all the wire I need for the walls but, when it comes to putting it into my service box I will pay someone to do it. My electrical box has no master to shutoff (inside or outside) so the box is always hot. I have 5 (4 bulb) 4' florescent fixtures for the drop ceiling I'm installing that still need the runs put in.
I'm in the same boat, with just 2 outlets right now and two 2-bulb 4' flourescent lights. I need to finish my shop too, just not right now -- it's working fine so far.

Anyone that wants to tell me just how easy it to work in a hot electrical box can come over and show me:D I know its easy:scared:
Hire that pro, get the dumpster, and do it! :)

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

Yeah......what Waiter said! Break's over!:D

If nothing else than cut out your bulkheads & seatback this weekend so you can say you have some hours into your project. Once you get started, the momentum will pick up.

T Mann - Loooong-EZ/20B Infinity R/G Chpts 18

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

We add rocket's to everything!

4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 14, 19, 20 Done

Yeah......what Waiter said! Break's over!:D

If nothing else than cut out your bulkheads & seatback this weekend so you can say you have some hours into your project. Once you get started, the momentum will pick up.

I'm going to the aircraft spruce open house in Atlanta Saturday May 19th 2007 and plan to place my order for the first several chapters of material.:D

Maybe I'll get lucky and win the raffle for the Garman GPSMAP 396

Retail value $2195 :cool:

• 2 months later...

I'm going to the aircraft spruce open house in Atlanta Saturday May 19th 2007 and plan to place my order for the first several chapters of material.:D

Okay Ken,

Got an update to this drama? It's been 3 months since your last I'm gunna, lets have it!:irked:

Airspeed is Life -

:cool: - Having lots of it

is Better!

• 3 weeks later...

I have low tolerance for no money for the Plane. When I started a year ago I had just enough to buy the plans. Since then I have dumped over $8,000 dollars into this project. Where does it come from you ask. I dont know I do know that if you start building your desease will grow to the point of finding the money. I do side work for my airplane money (welding machine work mechanics) I figure it will take aprox. 3000 hours to build the plane and 1,500 hours of side work to pay for it. So far I have kept up. Like the saying goes { If you build it they will come} So start building. ps. you dont need half of those tools to get started. Yes I do have them all even a diston abrador. Steve

Steve Harmon

Lovin Life in Idaho

Cozy IV Plans #1466 N232CZ

http://websites.expercraft.com/bigsteve/

Working on Chapter 19,21

Ahhh... so THAT's a Disston Abrader! I believe it has two S's and might be why I could never find it on the 'net. Still, not many pages come up when searching for it.

Shoot - I thought it was some sort of rotary tool to use with a hand-drill! LOL! Obviously I don't have one! :D

Phil Kriley

Cozy #1460

Chapter 13 - nose

Right wing done - working on right winglet.