Anyone have a 20B?

It seems to me that someone posted that they had just received a 20B Rotary recently but when I do a search on "20B" I can't find it :(

Anyone aware of that or......

What is the part number for a 20B or ............

What does Mazda make that uses a 20B?

T Mann - Loooong-EZ/20B Infinity R/G Chpts 18

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

We add rocket's to everything!

4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 14, 19, 20 Done

The three-rotor 20B-REW was only used in the 1990-1995 Eunos Cosmo. It was the world's first volume production twin-turbo setup featured in both 13B-REW & 20B-REW form. It displaced 1962 cc (three 654 cc rotors) and used 0.7 bar (around 10psi)of turbo pressure to produce 300 hp (224 kW) and 300 ft.lbf (402 Nm). It was at the time the highest torque output engine of any Japanese vehicle manufacturer. The 20B is similar to the 13G (racing engine) which was the first 3 rotor engine from Mazda. the difference is the 13G uses a factory peripheral intake port and the 20B built for the Cosmo uses side intake ports.

The Cosmo was not sold in the the US so the 20B is a little harder to come by and cost a bit more in the US.

If your considering a rotary engine expect the firewall forward installation will cost as much as using an aircraft engine. Oil cooling is as important as water cooling to cool the engine. Many people spend a lot of time resolving cooling issues on rotary engines for aviation with extensive modification to the ducting, cowl, radiator(s) and oil cooler configuration to optimize the installation for aircraft use.

It has been done but there is no current firewall back solution on the market for the rotary engine that has reached the plug and play stage for the pusher market.

I'd suggest you research pusher rotary engine installations and testing done by other builders before you jump into a rotary. A couple of people got so tired of spending all their time experimenting and are now converting to aircraft engines.

That being said if you are successful and get the bugs worked out you will then have the issue of the incompatibility with 100LL leaded aviation fuel which burns out the expensive O2 sensors. The lead is also bad for the seals and can cause compression loss. A fuel lead scavenger additive and using mineral oil or its equivalent is a must from what I've read.

I do not have any direct experience with a rotary firewall forward installation, I'm just sharing what I've learned researching rotary aircraft issues in consideration of my own engine choice.

I also am considering an alternative engine choice as aircraft engine overhaul is much more expensive than automotive engines when its time to rebuild them.

:feedback: If I'm incorrect on any point here folks please share!

There actually was a certified rotary produced at one time (or so I have read.) I want to stay with a water cooled power plant for reasons I won't go into right now.

That being said..........there is a certified water cooled engine produced by Rolls Royce.......:bad:

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

well......the answer to that question soon will be me. I'm planning on having a 20B by the end of the summer.

As for why I'm choosing a rotary vs. a traditional piston engine.....a picture is worth how many words?

post-2251-141090155852_thumb.jpg

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

well......the answer to that question soon will be me. I'm planning on having a 20B by the end of the summer.

As for why I'm choosing a rotary vs. a traditional piston engine.....a picture is worth how many words?

I hope you will share (step by step with lots if pictures) your 20B installation firewall forward experience since there is no turnkey solution. It would be great if everyone knew of an installation plan that would eleminate all the trial and error effort we have seen to date.

I think I'd like to see a rotary installation thread for each engine on the forum to help flatten the learning curve in the future. :D

Will do! I have to start working on my web site but everything will be documented in great detail. I'm soaking up information from every source I can find and will detail my distilled version there.

Actually it really isn't all that new. There was a rotary previously certified for aircraft. What I find amazing it what it takes to make them fail. They don't want to quit.

It's a solution I can live with.

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory