How to choose a prop for my EZ?

britguy59

Do I owe anyone any more information?  I have so many Grimlins that I have to keep zapping down, it is somewhat difficult to keep up with so many hot iron in the fire.

Jon, thanks for getting me back on track with this computer krap.  We are slaves to computers.  Been fighting all that electronic crap that drives my Ford Ranger batie.  Electronics has no place in vehicles except the radio.  And I am a retired EE.  Believe me it is all a mistake.  Should never have been discovered. 

I am putting together my accusations toward the 3 FAA offices that have a hatred for me.  I have done nothing to tick them off except disagree with some of their "Home made" regulations.  My plan is to take them to Federal District Court and see if I can jerk some of the knots out of their retarded minds.

I have been corresponding with my lawyer friend about this approach.  Actually is was he that suggested that I do just that.  He is an aviation lawyer, used to be part of AOPAs' PPS. (Pilot Protection Service) Maybe still is, not sure.

This has nothing to do with my support of the E-AB potential market.  I hope to be flying my Mustand II before too long.  Cold as a well diggers ass in Idaho here now so it will not happen very soon.  I have to fly off the phase one with my prop locked into a fixed pitch mode.  Once I get a warm feeling about reliability then I will unlock it and go for a full flight test evaluation.

I do think I shall get to hell out of the certified propeller business. It just isn't worth it to me.

You were right the first time.  Of course the lawyer urged you to sue--he will make thousands off you.  

I have litigated extensively with the FAA up through the courts of appeals.  I have a 5" binder of FAA caselaw and precedents.  At one time, I was pretty good on the Administrative Procedures Act.  The courts are required to give deference to FAA decisions if there is any reasonable basis (and sometimes, if it is unreasonable).  See  http://cdn.ca9.uscourts.gov/datastore/uploads/guides/stand_of_review/IV_Review_AD.html

The courts will ignore your "hatred" claim and focus on (and likely accept) the FAA's rational for denying you a TSO.  Don't waste your time and money.  Either make peace with the officials or move on.  You are welcome to PM me to discuss.

Just last year I said the same to another fellow who had to learn the hard way.  His was an airport-law case but the same applies.  Courts defer to government officials on aviation matters.  It is a very difficult thing to overcome.

http://mtairynews.com/news/38417/airport-claim-dismissed-in-federal-court

http://part16.airports.faa.gov/pdf/16-15-07b.pdf

-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-750 hrs, Long-EZ-85 hrs and sold

Thanks Kent Ashton for your input.  I shall try to summarize my thoughts on the subject.   First;  What you are saying is essentially what I got from ARSA's Ms. MaCleod.  Without going into detail, it is her opinion and advise to, "Get on your knees and kiss their (FAA) ass if you want anything from them".

This is not a criticism of you.  But this sort of attitude seems to be prevalent throughout the GA/FAA community, or as the FAA puts it, "Stakeholders in the GA community" which I understand to be everyone, us and the FAA.   Or, the alternate action, wherein we can learn to read the "Tea Leaves".  I will explain:

"Bay leaves & Tea Leaves".  I spent over 20 years flying volunteer medical Cats into Baja California, MX.  I flew as a member of the "Flying Samaritans Inc."

When you cross the border and land at Mexicali, you entered their facility to do the paperwork.  Four stops, Customs, Immigration, Flight plan and General Declaration.  At each one of these stop there is a guy sitting behind his desk with a drawer partially open and there you will see several dollar bills lying there.  Now, these green backs are the "tea leaves".  If you read them correctly, you will drop another buck or two into the drawer.  If you don't, you will be stonewalled and stonewalled and stonewalled.  I know of one case where a pilot was stonewalled until the airport closed, he and his passengers had to go in town and RON.  

Here is the point;  Every time the FAA Retards come around here I smell Bay Leaves.  The situation here is the same as Mexicali.  Here, like in Mexicali, the reason for the delay is frivolous.  They literally invent more paperwork to lay on you at every visit.  You finish one batch or paperwork, they lay another one on you.  This goes on and on and on and on and on.  In my case this has been going on for four years this month.  Between the FAA and me we have reinvented the wheel 4 times.  It takes about a year to invent one wheel. 

I stop here.  I'm sorry to deviate from the purpose of the forum.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Kent Ashton,

In your mail to me you mentioned that I should not use any "hate".  I am curious what you saw in my writing that is considered hate.  I am not trying to be smart, I am curious.  The only things I have said to the FAA Retards are things like, "where is the regulation for that?"  "Why are we starting over for the third time?"  "I have three FSDO approved Repair Station Manuals, why are we writing a new one"? 

I may have mentioned this before but, when I asked the FSDO boss, in one of our meetings, "Mike, why are we doing this for the third time?"  He literally yelled at me, "Do you want a repair station or not?"  I said, "Of course I do".  He then said to me, "OK, from now on we will deal with your son".  He got up and left.

That is real professionalism that the FAA brags about on their web site.

Kent, I really don't want to deviate from the normal theme of this web site but I can't find you e-mail address.  I assume you are a lawyer and I value your opinion.

Hey Kent Ashton,

In your mail to me you mentioned that I should not use any "hate".  I am curious what you saw in my writing that is considered hate. 

Kent,

You were the first to use the word "hate".  On December 18th, you wrote "I am putting together my accusations toward the 3 FAA offices that have a hatred for me."

So, Kent Ashton was reciting your claim of hatred from the FAA to you.  

• Like 1

Andrew Anunson

I work underground and I play in the sky... no problem

Hey Kent Ashton,

In your mail to me you mentioned that I should not use any "hate".  I am curious what you saw in my writing that is considered hate.

Kent, I really don't want to deviate from the normal theme of this web site but I can't find you e-mail address.  I assume you are a lawyer and I value your opinion.

Kent, I'm not a lawyer.  I was referring to post #27 where you said "I am putting together my accusations toward the 3 FAA offices that have a hatred for me" and you call them "retards".   I suspect those feelings come across to them in negotiations so it might be in your interest to work through your Son or work through a lawyer and minimize your own involvement to get your prop approved .

Suing FAA officials themselves is a waste of time.  They are protected by government immunity except if they violate your civil rights (see 42 USC §1983   https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/42/1983     ) and those cases are very expensive and difficult to prove.  

These forums have a PM (private message) feature you can use to communicate privately.  Click on my name and you'll see it.

• Like 1

-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-750 hrs, Long-EZ-85 hrs and sold

• 6 years later...

I'm a retired USAF and Delta Airlines guy. I got a Long-Eze from Ed Kelly just before he died. He had made the main gear retractible!

He was winning races and I soon discovered the engine and prop were raced beyond normal limits. On my last flight in it, a rod had

broken and the vibration was fierce. I had plenty of altitude and headed for the airport with the engine at idle. I only got halfway there

and landed hard in a cornfield. At the last instant I had to make a turn to avoid cornfield sprinklers beside I-15 which was having its own

bumper-to-bumper and I had to avoid a power line by pulling the nose up. I cleared it, but fell (no airspeed now)about 50 feet to the 

ground.

I've been working on it since I had a V-35ATC rebuild going on at the time. It is rebuilt now with nice upgrading improvements. I've

added a turbocharger and other nice things. It's ready to taxi. My replacement engine has the set-up for a constant speed prop.

I got a new 3 blade, but it is not a pusher.

I'm glad today to learn, that Rutans do not approve and I found it out today.

Fred Nielson at fandp2@mvdsl.com

Hi Fred,
Sound you've got a real hot-rod! Have any photos to share? Will be very interested tom hear about the performance once you are flying again!

Aerocanard (modified) SN:ACPB-0226 (Chapter 8)

Canardspeed.com (my build log and more; usually lags behind actual progress)
Flight simulator (X-plane) flight model master: X-Aerodynamics

(GMT+12)

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry, no pictures just now. I have to sell the new 3 blade CSD Whirlwind tractor. I  have a new Bruce Tift 2 blade which will be installed this week. I want to be taxiing it pending better weather than we usually have here in Utah this time of year. Thanks for the interest.