Flush Rudder Bellhorn Plans

Jon Matcho

Thanks for the input Wayne.

I believe this type of fork would be as small as the thimble arrangements called out in the plans once you take into account the nic-sleeves and tag end.

In theory the fork and ball should work but I don't see any specs for how much stress the fork can take or how solid the ball would be on the cable end?

What would the point of failure be and am I fretting over something that's not going to see that much tension in the first place?

T Mann - Loooong-EZ/20B Infinity R/G Chpts 18

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

We add rocket's to everything!

4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 14, 19, 20 Done

Waiter,

Not quite... Wayne is almost correct in his assumption ... Originally I did use a fork end that was a hand machined piece of art however I decided to use round 1/2" 2024-T6 aluminum. The newer method used a AN111-3 whichn works great. The cable goes around the AN 111 and is continues along the shaft to teminate on the shaft (not shown in the drawing you have). The rudder lever is able to use the same attaching screws into the same two holes in the rudder by dremeling a small amount of glass and foam just large enough for the 1/2" rod to fit into it, then drill and tap the holes in the aluminum rod. You have to understand I had a flying LEZ and didn't want to do have a lot of painting.

After more thinking it appear that using angle 4130 steel might have a good side advantage with something similar to what Mike made up. The connection to the cable is the disadvantage to Mikes idea. Using the thimble takes up far to much room and would not allow enough travel to occur. This is where I had to figure a way to get maximum travel in a same area

The other part was the spring system RAF used to take care of using the brakes when th rudder hit it's stop. I chose to spend a little more and have machined parts made and an internal spring and use it as the disconnect for the wings instead of putting a spring attached to the rudder pedal to snag on things.

The big difference is in the feel. I have had the opportunity to fly EZ's using the stock system, RAF design, and my own and the we made is easier to push in-flight. IMO, it makes it more harmonized with the rest of the controls.

If I were to make kits again I would spend a little time and modify Mike's levers and use my attachment method. I will do it to N777DJ to make sure no bugs exsist.

--

Dale Martin, 509-780-7320

LEZ

Lewiston, ID

EAA Technical Counselor

Owl Eagle Aerial Composites

=====================>

This is one of those cases where a picture (or drawing) is worth a thousand words.

I just HAPPEN to be rigging my rudders today.

Here's 2,000 words describing my installation.

I'm getting 4.75" rudder deflexion as measured from bottom of rudder to winglet.:) I probably gained @ 3/8" extra travel with this set-up.

(This idea came to me via Carl Denk. Thanks, Carl.)

post-54-141090155506_thumb.jpg

post-54-141090155509_thumb.jpg

"I run with scissors."

Cozy MKIV N85TT

Phase One Testing

http://home.earthlink.net/~jerskip

Jerry,

Very nice.

I may be doing mine like NiceEZ. He has a system that allows you to use the original cable and housing, AND the original bellhorn bolt hole locations on the rudder.

I'll keep you posted on this as I get closer (within the next month)

Waiter

F16 performance on a Piper Cub budget

LongEZ, 160hp, MT CS Prop, Downdraft cooling, Full retract

visit: www.iflyez.com

That's what they told me.

As a matter of fact....Tonya sent my check back to me WITH the plans last Jan. I sent her an email asking if that wasn't some sort of mistake. She told me they were clearing everything out and thought my project would make a good home for them! :cool:

WOW! Does anyone know of a good place to eat in Mojave that sells gift cards?

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

I have the TERF CD, Open-EZ drawings, and some other peoples modifications info but do not see the Section VI for the landing brake. Anyone have a electronic copy of this section for the OpenEZ project?

On the Terf CD, use section 4 from the Varieze plans.

Adrian Smart

Cozy IV #1453

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

I have just found out that RAF has exhausted their supply of flush rudder bellhorn plans. As a result, I will look to have the plans scanned and made available as part of an Open-EZ download.

Coming soon... stay tuned.

I've bought the hidden horns from the Cozy Girrrls, and have looked at Wayne Hick's site, but I honestly need someone to hold my hand on this.

Is there ANYWHERE that I can get instructions on how to install the hidden rudder horns?

Please...? Chrissy said I'd have to beg, so I'm beggin'... :o

Phil Kriley

Cozy #1460

Chapter 13 - nose

Right wing done - working on right winglet.

Phil ...... did you get what you needed?

I would not progress further until you get this information. The rudder conduit in the wing is routed a little different for this.

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

Phil ...... did you get what you needed?

I would not progress further until you get this information. The rudder conduit in the wing is routed a little different for this.

I believe that one of the other guys is going to send me a PDF with the instructions.

Thanks! :cool2:

Phil Kriley

Cozy #1460

Chapter 13 - nose

Right wing done - working on right winglet.