Long Ez modifications

zies8

If you wouldn't mind looking to see if TERF mentions the source for the revised layup schedule I would certainly appreciate it. If you do mind... well... that's Ok, too

Unfortunately I haven't found any more info beside that what I said before TERF contains scans of Rutan Long ez plans (first edition) But I think I found better solution and I'll send u private email tomorrow with more details so we can clarify this case.

Mak

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guys

Looking at my TERF plans, the LongEZ layup pictures that MAK posted are correct. However the schedule he posted doesn't match the schedule in the plans, nor does it match the picture.

You'll also notice the AeroCanard pictures and schedules don't match. I could be missing something. MAK could you set me straight.

I'll try and extract one or two pictures of the plans and post them, or maybe the whole section of the spar caps. MAK, perhaps you do the same so we can be sure all TERF cds are equal ???

Adrian Smart

Cozy IV #1453

Please tell me WHERE in the "TERF plans" layup schedule does NOT match the original Long-EZ schedule. Which line item(s) is/are incorrect? What should the schedule be (WITHOUT CANARD PUSHER ADJUSTMENTS)? I have Long-EZ March 1980 - First Edition plans and they match what is in the TERF CD. I recognize that the Canard Pushers have not been applied. I'm missing something here...

There's nothing that TERF did to the text or images in the plans -- mainly they just scanned and burned a CD.

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

NO WORRIES, ALL ... It was a bad read on my part, Jon. My confusion also appears to have bled over onto raiki, too. :irked: Sorry about that.

The pdf that Mak posted was for the wing (top) AND the centersection spar (bottom).... which he CLEARLY called out in a later post. I simply missed it.

So, the graphic and the table don't match for good reason... because they're for two different things (thank goodness!!!!).

My apologies for the fire drill... but I'm very pleased to know that I don't have to redo my wings and/or spar! ;)

D

A happy ending! For a moment I was worried that TERF's OCR process mangled the Long-EZ plans (in the same way the AeroCanard plans mangle the Cozy plans here and there (AeroCad is now constantly fixing issues relating to less-than-perfect OCR).

An OCR process was actually NOT used for the Long-EZ plans. The bad is that you cannot search text in the plans. The good is that the plans are assured to be faithful reproduction of the originals.

Finally, I think that RAF ONLY released First Edition Long-EZ plans (March 1980). Any and all updates are in the Canard Pushers.

Good point about the Canard Pushers though -- read ALL Canard Pushers and update your plans religiously.

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

So commrades; In the end the answer to the original question ............

........." why can the cozy claim a higher useful load than the Long Ez" is simply because the Cozy and Aerocanard plans have heavyer Shear Web and Spar Cap layups.

Therefore my original idea to use Cozy IV wings on a Long Ez would work to create a higher useful load Long Ez.

Thank you........

Comments on the idea of using Cozy wings on a Long Ez would be appreciated.

...................................Mike

So the modification list for the "Heavy Hauling Ez" would be:

1. Fuselage width increase 4".

2. Long nose to help with W&B.

3. Cozy landing Gear.

4. Cozy wings.

5. O-360 or O-540. with Cozy engine mounts

6. Cozy nose gear.

Is the engineering for the "Heavy Ez" doable due to the design parameters that are existing in the two planes and the fact that most of these mods have already been implemented on other aircraft (though not in that particular combination)?

Opinions?.............

The "heavy Hauling EZ" sounds like a very good idea, ans the things you note doing would acheive it.

I still think using Cozy IV plans but making a 2 seat fuse would be the best approach, but with the existance of the OpenEZ will be more expensive. ($500 plans). That being said $500 is not a lot when you consider what you will be spending on the whole plane.

The reason I think it would be better is the Cozy plans have been updated with mods (assuming you buy new, but you will still need newsletter changes). Also these plans already contain a tried and tested wing with a higher gross.

Anyway, thats just my opinion.

Adrian Smart

Cozy IV #1453

You probably didn't mean what you said, but just in case.

(1) The Long-EZ canard (GU version) has been statically load-tested.

(2) VariEze winglets have been statically load-tested.

(3) The Long-EZ wings, Cozy III wings, and Cozy IV wings have never been statically load-tested. However, there have not been any structural failures in flight. So read into that what you will...

Wayne Hicks

Cozy IV Plans #678

http://www.ez.org/pages/waynehicks

Raki; Thank you for your opinion!!! I am considering seriously the route you suggest.

Wayne: I agree that the berkut is a great choice. The fact that a kit costs somewhere in the $60k range is jus too much for me to bite off. Maybe a berkut project that is in the early stages that is incomplete could be an option. One with just the fuselage done without the later parts of the kit purchased. If the Berkut has an increase in the fuselage of 8" that would be perfect. I did not know that the Berkut was 8" wider.

Mike

• 1 year later...