Steve Harmons Future ride

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To make room for the turtle back jig I had to park the plane on its arse. It looks like a rocket getting ready to take off. It actually is not sitting on its rear end. The nose is touching the roof I have two bags of shot next to the firewall it takes about 20 pounds to get it to come down. I needed the extra room so I could glue my foam pieces on the table.

Steve

Posted Image

Steve Harmon

Lovin Life in Idaho

Cozy IV Plans #1466 N232CZ

http://websites.expercraft.com/bigsteve/

Working on Chapter 19,21

Greg:

When I sold my Longeze N232SH back in 1990. It was one of the saddest days of my life. So to make my life happier I bought a machine shop with the money. I still miss N232SH but the machine shop is making my Cozy IV happen. STeve :D

Steve Harmon

Lovin Life in Idaho

Working on Chapter 19,21

• 2 weeks later...

Alan:

Looking at the picture you have posted I think you have my cad file. A couple of things I would do differently. Move the pedals closer together. They are to close to the sides. Maybe use a bearing instead of a bushing. The machine work was kind of tricky.I had only seen velocity pedals in pictures.I dont remember who but another builder has built his own pedals and used bearings all the way through. He did a very nice job but it was to heavy for my bird. If I see his pages I will post the address. Call me or pm me if you have any questions. Enclosed is a picture of a really forward hinging canopy. Build on. Steve

Posted Image

Steve Harmon

Lovin Life in Idaho

Working on Chapter 19,21

• 1 month later...

I have been requested to give another update. Working on the canopy and nose and canard cover all at the same time. I think my transitions turned out much better than my first plane. Posted Image

Here is the canopy bonded to the turtle back I am hoping to glass the whole thing this holiday weekend. It will be cool to see if my fhc canopy idea works. If not Try Try Again. Build on STeve

Posted Image

Steve Harmon

Lovin Life in Idaho

Working on Chapter 19,21

I will go on record to say it looks down right purty!

Self confessed Wingnut.

Now think about it...wouldn't you rather LIVE your life, rather than watch someone else's, on Reality T.V.?

Get up off that couch!!! =)

Progress; Fuselage on all three, with outside and inside nearly complete. 8 inch extended nose. FHC done. Canard finished. ERacer wings done with blended winglets. IO540 starting rebuild. Mounting Spar. Starting strake ribs.

Well after a short 10 hour session in the shop. I am now the proud owner of a glassed top Cozy IV. It takes awhile to glass the whole thing in one pop but it is sure nice to have all the smooth connected surfaces all bonded together at the same time.

Build on STeve

Posted Image

Steve Harmon

Lovin Life in Idaho

Working on Chapter 19,21

• 4 weeks later...

Well I have great news to report. My forward hinging canopy works. It is a little different but it is structurally pretty strong. I did raise many issues doing it and I am slowly working through each one. I do not regret doing it and I dont think it took me that much longer to do than to do it the plans way. I have finished the hinge for the nose access door. The whole top piece has twisted and flexed so I will have to do some major grinding to get it to fit when I glass the nose back together. I don not regret doing the nose the canard cover and the canopy frame all at the same time. I would not glass it all at the same time if I was to do it over. Lots of things to do the addiction continues. Build on STEVE

Posted Image

Steve Harmon

Lovin Life in Idaho

Working on Chapter 19,21

Looks great Steve... keep up the good work!

Many will follow with the FHC, I think.

Self confessed Wingnut.

Now think about it...wouldn't you rather LIVE your life, rather than watch someone else's, on Reality T.V.?

Progress; Fuselage on all three, with outside and inside nearly complete. 8 inch extended nose. FHC done. Canard finished. ERacer wings done with blended winglets. IO540 starting rebuild. Mounting Spar. Starting strake ribs.

Looks very good, not that much further to go ... keep chipping at it :)

I live in my own little world! but its OK, they know me here!

Chris Van Hoof, Johannesburg, South Africa operate from FASY (Baragwanath)

Cozy Mk IV, ZU-CZZ, IO-360 (200hp) 70x80 prop

Steve - did you use the Cozy Girrrl hinges and plans for your FHC? I can't tell, but it looks like you have a hiinge right at the front of the canopy...?

Lookin' good! :cool2:

Phil Kriley

Cozy #1460

Chapter 13 - nose

Right wing done - working on right winglet.

Phil:

The hinge for my nose cover is straight of the Cozy Girls web site just resized to work for my application. The hinge for the canopy is my own design with some inspiration from Dennis Passey. If you want to see some pictures of the hinge go to my web site. STeve build on

Steve Harmon

Lovin Life in Idaho

Working on Chapter 19,21

• 1 month later...

I thought it might be time to update my fhc construction. I installed the gas springs today and they work so good it gives me chills. It is exciting to see something work that you have worked literally 100's of hours on. The gas springs go over center as I lower the canopy and actually give about 20 lbs. of down force. I just need to heal up from my hernia surgery so I can get more done. build on Steve

Posted Image

Steve Harmon

Lovin Life in Idaho

Working on Chapter 19,21

Looks really great Steve. Looks super in fact. You'll inspire others!

Self confessed Wingnut.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well I thought it was time for another happy update. The longest chapter of the whole plane is done. Chapter 18 is all done except for a couple of latch's that I have to think about before I build them. Here are a couple of pictures with hatch's open and hatch's closed. I am starting to really want to go flying. I am now working on chapter 16 controls making all the little metal pieces myself. Build on Steve

Posted Image

Posted Image

Steve Harmon

Lovin Life in Idaho

Working on Chapter 19,21

• 1 month later...

Well it is time for another update. My plane now has a heart and a soul. The heart is a Lycoming 0360 C2C Out of a Bi Winger. Its soul is that it now has a name. N232CZ My old Longeze was 232SH so it will be close. Here are a couple of pictures of me stripping accessories off the motor and pickling it for a while. It will reside under my construction table until I am ready to install it. Build on STeve

Posted Image

Posted Image

Steve Harmon

Lovin Life in Idaho

Working on Chapter 19,21

Scchhhwweeet!!!! Big Congrats Steve, on the 360 engine!!! It looks beautiful. :D I know you were entertaining a 320 for a long time...320's were meant for CozyIII's not IV's.

Now when you finally decide to sell it**, there will be no apologies for an anemic power plant. I dont think anybody really wants a Yugo of a Cozy. [hope I havent stepped on any Yugo toes out there].

**Steve IS the planebuilding JUNKY, as he says..and already has his next plane project figured out!! Amazing!:cool:

IMHO,I do think that after you have this beauty finished, you might want to keep her, because the performance and versatility will be fantastic!!

Self confessed Wingnut.