Steve Harmons Future ride

Tonight I finished my elevators. This was a very long chapt. for 2 little pieces of foam and fiberglass. Of course it had lots of metal parts and lots of things that needed to be fitted. I lost count of how many times I had to take them on and off of the canard. I made all of the metal parts including the lead weights. I am starting on the landing gear tomorrow. STeve

Steve Harmon

Lovin Life in Idaho

Cozy IV Plans #1466 N232CZ

http://websites.expercraft.com/bigsteve/

Working on Chapter 19,21

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well it has been awhile since I last updated. I have now pretty much finished chapter 9. I have made my jig for the center section spar and started cutting the foam this evening. I have 540 hours in the project now My anniverery date for starting is November 11, I am now saving up for the expensive chapter 13 hopefully I will have enough money saved when I get done with the spar. My visit to Rough River was very enlightening. After going on a ride With Marc Z. I have decided to do several things to give me more room in the cockpit it was pretty cramped for an old fat guy like me. Build on. STeve:)

Steve Harmon

Lovin Life in Idaho

Working on Chapter 19,21

Okay Jon you asked and I will now answer.

I am 6'0" tall and weigh 220 I know you wanted to know that. I plan on raising the leg hole in the instrument panel up 1". I plan on purchasing the larger canopy from Tod. I plan on raising the turtle deck 1.5" I also am going to get my side panels as close to the side of the fuselage as possible I might even cut a hole where the stick protrudes and make a flexible boot type cover. I am going to bring my strakes forward to give some elbow space. Dont get me wrong I was not hugely uncomfortable in Marc's plane. Infact I was having such a good time I could have been sitting on a needle and would not have noticed. But there are things that can be done to make a larger frame more comfortable in these planes. Here is the real kicker though. Forget about putting your big buddies in the back seat it aint going to happen. I am trying to figure out how to make it a 3 seater. Build On. STeve

Steve Harmon

Lovin Life in Idaho

Working on Chapter 19,21

. . . I am trying to figure out how to make it a 3 seater. Build On. STeve

Elimination of the centerline heat duct will allow for a bench seat in the aft section. Provision for cockpit heating will have to be considered. There are quite a few mods involving installation of secondary oil cooler and blower in the nose. I recall that Nick Ugolini has a nice set up.

OTOH, I suppose it's also easy enough to build a one-piece rear bench seat over the heat duct...

Remi Khu

Cozy Mk IV

Plan #1336

Elimination of the centerline heat duct will allow for a bench seat in the aft section....

Elimination of the centerline heat duct will also substantially weaken the structure of the fuselage, too. The heat duct is an integral part of the stiffening of the fuselage floor. I would NOT recommend removing it, no matter what you use for heating.

OTOH, I suppose it's also easy enough to build a one-piece rear bench seat over the heat duct...

Maybe, if you can afford the headroom loss.

I have what amounts to bench seats in my aerocanard.

I am seriously considering building up the central tunnel to near the height of the arm rests on either side of the fuselage.

The reason???

Getting in and out of the damn thing. The problem I have (possibly due to miles on my feet) is that when attempting to get out of the aircraft, I can rest one hand on the side console, however without a central point at a similar height in the middle, I can't get out of the damn thing without reaching over to the opposite longeron, possibly the back of the seat, can't really grab the instrument panel unless I substantially reinforce it.

Horribly awkward to say the least. I can imagine the broken noses and black eyes that my wife will suffer as I am flailing around trying to extricate myself, not to mention the contusions I will suffer at her comings and goings.

I am now trying to design a central arm rest that will not only give me the ability to levitate, but will give me the thigh room I so deserve (and need) so as not to feel as if I am in tourist class on the silver tube and be strong enough to withstand the abuse that I will give it.

I Canardly contain myself!

Rich :D

Rich:

You pointed out something else I remember about my flight with Marc. Getting out of a Cozy 4 is allot harder than getting out of a Longeze. In the Long you can put an arm on each side of the longeron and lift yourself out like parallel bars. I am going to have to think about how to fix that. Also The heat duct is a necessary structural thing I guess you could make a spar or something like in the wings but it is beyond my Know how. STeve

Steve Harmon

Lovin Life in Idaho

Working on Chapter 19,21

Elimination of the centerline heat duct will also substantially weaken the structure of the fuselage, too. The heat duct is an integral part of the stiffening of the fuselage floor. I would NOT recommend removing it, no matter what you use for heating.

Ooops, forgot about the all-important structural function of the heat duct. Thanks Marc for pointing that out. My bad! :o

Remi Khu

Cozy Mk IV

Plan #1336

• 1 month later...

I finally have something new to report. I finished chapter 14 today. I am the proud owner of a main spar. I will now be working on Chapter 13 nose and nose gear. I am also going to be doing the canopy and turtle back at the same time. I will be doing a front hinge canopy so wish me luck. STeve

Posted Image

Steve Harmon

Lovin Life in Idaho

Working on Chapter 19,21

Hey Steve,

We seem to be on about the same pace right now. I just finished my spar a couple days ago as well. I also skipped chapter 13 to make the spar. My reasoning was financial as I had most of the stuff to build the spar, and chapter 13 requires a bit of investment in hardware, including the electric nose lift. I also am still not sure if I want to stretch the nose any. I know that Dennis Passey did and seems to have worked out well for him. I also am thinking a bit more on the lines of the forward hinge canopy, (Since Wayne Hicks says he would have), so keep us informed on your choice of hinge and all that.

I am not sure which chapter I am going to next, I don't have any extra $ at this time, so I might just be building jigs for awhile. I still have to buy the Matco brakes and install them to finish Chapter 9, and figure out what I want to do for headrest to finish chapter 8, so there is always something to do.

Keep up the good work!

Heres a view of the 8-3/8 inch extend-o-schnoz...before working on mounting the pedals and closing it up.

If you do your nose like Marc and Don H and Doug and Patty's [to name a few, and some others I've seen] it looks good short[per plans]...

But if you get it all blocky and pointing down to much it looks pretty stubby[and we've seen those before too... so I figured extending it would guarantee me un-stubbyness.

It defibnatly worked.

post-4661-141090158087_thumb.jpg

Self confessed Wingnut.

Now think about it...wouldn't you rather LIVE your life, rather than watch someone else's, on Reality T.V.?

Get up off that couch!!! =)

Progress; Fuselage on all three, with outside and inside nearly complete. 8 inch extended nose. FHC done. Canard finished. ERacer wings done with blended winglets. IO540 starting rebuild. Mounting Spar. Starting strake ribs.

Check out JD at www.infinityaerospace.com for the Matco stuff.

He gave me a good price on my wheels, tires, brakes and Master Cylinders.

Also, good move working on the jigs during your down time. You have to build them anyway right?

It all has to be done. :D

T Mann - Loooong-EZ/20B Infinity R/G Chpts 18

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

We add rocket's to everything!

4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 14, 19, 20 Done

Kraig:

I have purchased most of the expensive stuff I will need for chapt. 13 If I run out of money. (The shop has been real slow the last 3 weeks.) I will start making metal parts. I have designed my front top hinge brakes. I will also start working on my front hinging canopy design. Edge. I like the look of your long nose very becoming. I am also considering that. I have made my ng-30 1 1/2" longer because I am leaving my nose strut the length that it was sent to me. Build on. STeve

Steve Harmon

Lovin Life in Idaho

Working on Chapter 19,21

Heres a view of the 8-3/8 inch extend-o-schnoz...before working on mounting the pedals and closing it up.

Saweeet! Did you change the top profile on F-28 too? I notice two colors there.

Rick

Rick Hall; MK-IV plans #1477; cozy.zggtr.org

Build status: 1-7, bits of 8-9, 10, 14 done! Working on engine/prop/avionics.

Yea, it is shaped to fit my preference. It is also doubled for rigidity for the front hinge mounting. Although I am not using Uli's hinges I can suggest going to Jerry's website for his tips about placement.

Self confessed Wingnut.

Now think about it...wouldn't you rather LIVE your life, rather than watch someone else's, on Reality T.V.?

Get up off that couch!!! =)

Progress; Fuselage on all three, with outside and inside nearly complete. 8 inch extended nose. FHC done. Canard finished. ERacer wings done with blended winglets. IO540 starting rebuild. Mounting Spar. Starting strake ribs.

Wileze

I would love to tell you how much my spar weighs. My problem is I do not have a scale that goes that High. I have a friend with a nice scale it is heavy but maybe he will let me borrow it. I would like to know how much it weighs. I do know that it took me 64 hours to build that also counts cleaning the shop once. STeve

Steve Harmon

Lovin Life in Idaho

Working on Chapter 19,21

• 1 month later...

Well I thought it was about time I did an update on the old bird. I am almost done installing my rudder pedals. They are my own design with lots of Ideas from other builders. Here is a picture.

Posted Image

My old Longeze had a similar pedal arrangement except they were bottom hung like the plans. A piston is screwed on to the end of the master it goes up and down in a piston arrangement it has lots of adjustment and gives the rudders a lot of stroke before the brakes engage. it has a bout a 3-1 pedal arrangement so I should have lots of power on my Matco's

Steve Harmon

Lovin Life in Idaho

Working on Chapter 19,21

• 3 weeks later...

Way to go Steve! You're really moving out! I'm just starting Ch 10 and haven't even installed the brakes in Chapter 9. How much do youwork on the plane each week? Keep up the good work! :cool:

Phil Kriley

Cozy #1460

Chapter 13 - nose

Right wing done - working on right winglet.

Phil:

According to my web log I work 12.3 hours a week and 53.4 hours a month. Some weeks I work 8-10 and other weeks I work 20 or more. So far I have 762 hours total I have been working on it about a year and a half. My kids are all grown and I dont do yard work in the winter in Idaho. STeve

Steve Harmon

Lovin Life in Idaho

Working on Chapter 19,21

Steve, looking good!

And hmmm... I wonder if anyone out there might be interested in manufacturing a pedal kit? cg wink wink.

what? hmmm.. oh! sorry, was asleep at the keyboard =)

Yeah pedals... for what? Long-ez?

Actually have tabs and gussets for them all laser cut but just not a huge demand for them so far.

For the Cozy we are going to offer some with swinging links instead of sliders.

...Chrissi

CG Products

www.CozyGirrrl.com

Cozy Mk-IV RG 13B Turbo